1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

stick coils?

vinny Dec 28, 2007

Tags:
  1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

The coils vary greatly in price, I searched z1000 and found that you could piece together coils and harness for ~$35 shipped. This is turning out to be an affordable mod if the bike is hit and miss on cylinders firing.

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM
  3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Is the pigtail long enough on the harnesses to just switch plug ends?

4. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

It looks like it should be. I plan on cutting the ends off the ZL wire and he harness and using a GM connector kit from Napa, exactly like RJ said.

5. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

Well I got some '06 ZX14 coils last night. They are used, but all test good within the factory specs. However, all four coils measure 1.5ohm on the primary side. From what I have seen, the factory specs are 1.2 to 1.6 ohms. If i put two in series, these would total 3.0 ohms, which is higher than the 2.8ohms that the ZL900 calls for. Will this increased resistance have negative effects on the ignitor?

If so, I guess I could wire them in parallel and add a 0.5 to 1 ohm resistor to each positive cable leading to the coil. Thoughts?

6. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

I have seen this discussed on other forums, and some believe the stick mod does not deliver as hot of a spark as "regular" coils. However, this mod has been around a while, and have not heard of any problems.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: So who bought the stick coils from post # 182.

8. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

0.0 Ohms equals no resistance. Taking something with 3.0 Ohms and adding a 1Ohm resistor gives you now a 4 Ohm resistance rating.

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello:If a circuit has 4 1.5 ohm resistors in parallel the total measured resistance is 1.5 ohms. When resistors are in parallel the total resistance measured will not exceed the smallest resistor. When resistors are in series the total measured resistance is the sum of all the resistors. One or to ohms of resistance in a circuit will not change power output all that much. Remember voltage in a bike when running will range @ 12.8 to say 14.8 VDC. Attached is formulas/equations for finding Voltage/Current/Power/Wattage & Resistance. IMG_5387.JPG

10. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

Well, if the factory specs call for 1.8 - 2.8 ohms and I wire 1 & 4 in series and 2 &3 in series with the ZX14 coils I have, the resistance comes out to 3.0-3.1 ohms. Will that 0.2 - 0.3 ohms make any difference? However, if I wire them in parallel and add a 0.5 - 1.0 ohm resistor, then the resistance should measure 2 ohm, and then I should be okay. Correct? The next question is how big of a 0.5 - 1.0 ohm resistor? 50 watt?

If I were to wire them in parallel without any resistor, they would only be 1.5 ohms, which is 0.3 below the factory specs. I assume this would not be good on the CDI. Correct?

11. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

Oh, I'm not being clear. I apologize. My question involves wring the coils in parallel with a resistor on each circuit in series.

12. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

So you're saying that if I wire them in series, even though they are only 0.2 ohm above ZL900 spec, it should only make a very minor difference, and not cause any damage to other components?