1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1986 ZL900 Registry

Bacchus Aug 14, 2011

1. jd2ndzl

jd2ndzl New Member

JD2NDZL 86 zl900 5118 Dyer IN. stock 10500 miles black.
    Just picked up 12/29/18
    Runs good fuel issues Harley petcock 1/4 fuel line little lawn mower fuel filter .

2. Niek

Niek Active Member

According to Kawasaki, A2's were only ever produced in Ebony Black. Luminous Red was only used on A1's. An easy check: is the brake line mounted above or below the rear brake caliper? Above is A1, below is A2. Another check would be the owner's manual that came with the bike; this should say either ZL900-A1 or ZL900-A2 on the back. :)

3. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

I have the A1, but my brake line is orig. below...hmmm? Another distinctive feature is the ducktail: A1 has in plastic w/ that pattern 'out of the form', A2 is painted black glossy.
    IMG_20191101_102328.jpg

4. Niek

Niek Active Member

I should rephrase what I wrote. (my bad)
    Your brake caliper is an A1 item, the brake line is connected at the top of the caliper. When I said 'mounted', I meant 'connected'. This is what you get when a Dutchman tries to speak English. ;)

5. Niek

Niek Active Member

[​IMG]

This is an A2 rear brake caliper. Note the position of the banjo bolt. (this actually is a GTR1000/Concours caliper but never mind)

6. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Good to have now two pics for comparison.:thumbsup:

7. v-max31

v-max31 Member

That's an interesting comment Kawasaki only made A2 in Ebony Black.As already mentioned in my first post i'm sure my Luminous Red is definately an A2.Proof of this is it has the later rear caliper and the ducktail is smooth moulded plastic painted LR colour.This was cracked when i got the bike so was replaced using an A1 with original semi-satin black textured finish.I've also seen pics of other red A2's but most common are red A1's.I'm sure the manufacture date and frame/engine stamp on the headstock i supplied in that first post should identify technically which model.