1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Rude Dog

Rude Dog Active Member

I can update the thread if guys still want to see whats going on.

2. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Don't worry, we'll respond with a list when done.

Trying to save what Rude Dog from pulling his hair out:laughing7:

3. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

DONT leave us hanging......gotta have closure......:thumbsup:

4. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Okay guys, for those of you following along; RudeDog and I took the next couple of steps over the phone.

1) He replaced the main fuse.

2) Using a test light, he confirmed that voltage was present on the White wire coming off the starter solenoid. This is the wire that feeds the ignition switch.

3) Even with power on the White wire, still wouldn't crank. To ensure there wasn't a resistance in the solenoid path, we jumped from the positive (+) side of the battery to the white wire, effectively bypassing the main fuse and its holder. Still wouldn't crank.

4) Jumpered from the positive (+) side of the battery to the Brown wire that comes off fusebox and goes to the Ignition switch [at the fusebox end] and bike cranked. Jumping to the Brown wire bypassed the ignition switch.

5) Pulled ignition switch with Brown wire jumper still in place, checked Brown wire at back of ignition switch; had power there [via the jumper].

6) With the ignition key off and Brown jumper in place, checked for power at White wire coming off ignition switch, no power there. This was expected and was done to make sure there wasn't a short in the ignition switch.

7) With the ignition key on and Brown jumper in place, checked for power at White wire coming off ignition switch, had power. This indicated that the ignition switch was working as designed [at least this part of it].

:cool: This lead to the conclusion that there was a break in the White wire. If you review the schematic posted earlier, the White wire runs directly from the Solenoid to the Ignition Switch, we had power at the Solenoid end, but none at the Ignition Switch end.

9) RudeDog started unwrapping harness from the switch and found:

Attached Files:

5. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

After this is repaired, we're going to go through the fan wiring, it seems something isn't right there.

Will keep updating as we go.

6. Bozang1

Bozang1 Well-Known Member

This is GREAT!!! This is why the forum is awesome. Sometimes we get complacent and start losing our excitement about this place then BAM! Something like this reaffirms why this is great. YOU guys make this place what it is. GOLD, you get MEMBER OF THE MONTH!!!!
    Rude dog, I told you these guys would help. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. (There you go Mad, now go dry your tears and pay attention)

7. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Glad to help.

Good news, RudeDog soldered the broken wire, and his bike started right up!

Now we're going to work on the fan circuit, will post as we go.

Attached Files:

8. madmanncr500

:popcorn::headbang::headbang: GOOD DEAL........

BOZAG:pottytrain2::laugh:

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Great job talking him threw the electrical system. :thumbsup: Did he let the guy know that told him that the motor needed pulled. I wonder why he thought that needed done.

10. madmanncr500

RJ.....REALLY....come on the guy seen$$$$$$ in pulling the engine.........the way I look at it ol'gold saved this guy's ass from big $$$$ shop bill!!!!! :headbang:

11. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Thanks for all the positive comments, always good to get another ZL back on the road.

12. Liam

Liam Active Member

This is like me reality.........something or other. Its pretty cool following threads like this. If you look at the "view numbers" you can see that a lot of us read but are unqualified to comment. Thanks a bunch.:groupcheers::wav:

13. Liam

Liam Active Member

Not me reality. I hate auto correct.

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: He was told to pull out the ignition switch & clean it. If he would of done that he would of seen the broken wire. If it was my bike I would take time out & disconnect all plugs clean them if needed then put dielectric grease on them & put everything back together. This would help prevent future potential problems.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  15. Rude Dog

Rude Dog Active Member

As you all know, golddrakul :headbang: got my bike back up and running. HUGE Thanks out to him for all the help. He is pretty much a genius when it comes to electrical. Being able to walk someone as clueless as me through trouble shooting electrical really says alot. Im extremely grateful for all the help from him. Also, thanks to the other memebers that reached out and offered. That said, Im more of a cruiser guy so Im still open to selling it or trading. In the meantime though, I'll be riding it.

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'll trade ya for my 57 shovel head. I haven't seen it in 10 years or so. Not really sure if it is still at my parents house in PA or not. My brother may have thrown it out.

17. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

RudeDog, thanks for the kind words. You were good to work with. Keep in touch.

18. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

And this my fellow members is what this site is and should always be what this site is all about. Thanks again for stepping up Bob, you taught us all a thing or two which is always a good thing. Not everybody is good at electrical but we all have something we're good at and it's those things that we can help with individually when the need arises. This thread should give us all a renewed enthusiasm for reaching out to our fellow members in trouble with a helping hand in time of need. Enjoy that badass ride for awhile Rude Dog......it's gotta' be a hoot! :evil:

19. rammy1500

rammy1500 Supporting Member X2

I realize this thread is a few years old, but what would be nice is a checklist to pin point starting issue. I'm having a similar one myself with my 900. Let me explain. Once in awhile, I turn the ignition on, neutral light is on, hit the start button, nothing. When this happens, I'll pull the clutch level in and hit the button and the bike turns over and starts. But last night, after getting gas, get on the bike, kick stand up, bike in neutral, hit the switch nothing. Pull the clutch lever in, hit the switch, nothing, turn the key on and off, hit the switch, nothing, turn the run button on and off, hit the switch, nothing, put the kick stand up and down, push the pin in and out, hit the switch, nothing. So I roll the bike away from the pump, put the bike in gear and rock it, put it back into neutral, clutch level out, hit the switch and the bike fires right up. Stopped and started it a few more times that night and didn't have any more issues. My guess is neutral safety switch, but how can I test for sure?

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You should be able to disconnect the neutral switch & jumper the 2 wires together. This by passes the switch. Just to mention my ignition switch has a bad spot in it. Some times when turning the key on I get nothing. When I turn the key slightly back but not to the off position the bike gets power & starts. I have another key switch assembley that I got from Markus but never remember to install it on my ZL 10 before going for a ride and by time I come home I forget all about it. This has been going on for 5 years. :laughing7:.