1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl900 1985 problem HELP!

Gabmath01 Mar 7, 2020

1. Gabmath01

Gabmath01 New Member

Hi
    My bike is making me out of solutions.

I have a kawasaki Zl 900 Eliminator 1985. Since I've bought it. I haven't been able to drive it for more than 10 mins before it starts to run terrible.
    I mean; back firing throught carbs and no more power. (This happen right at the same time then that radiator fan starts)

It still idling perfectly but as soon a touch the throttle it starts lagging.

If I let it getting back cooler. I can start and ride again for 5 minutes but no more.

I'm out of solution and I need help!

I've redone the timing, reajusting valve's clearence at the specs. Went reajusting, and cleaning carbs. New thermostat, coils and spark plug. Even CDi box i replaced.
    Everything is installed perfectly.
    I even tried to unplug the fan in case of an electrical problem but samething happen.

When I let it sitting idling, as soon as it gets working temperature. It cannot runs.

Help please! So I can finally get it fixed!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Coil pickups could be going out on ya. Check cdi connection for corrosion as well as the fuse box plugs.

3. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

Not saying this is it but I once rebuilt a Z1100 engine and it had the same symptoms as yours. Took me months to discover the advance mechanism was wrong for the bike.!!! hence the overheating...
    Once swapped with the proper one it ran perfectly.

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I would lean toward a vacuum issue. Try opening the gas cap, leave it open and see if the bike runs better.

5. Gabmath01

Gabmath01 New Member

GarryD w
    hat was the problem?

6. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I agree with Furchin.

7. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

My problem...at the time was that it would start but quickly overheat and run like teh fuel was bad.
    Obviously it was because the timing was wrong...would happily ilde but once the advancer kicked in it ran like a dog.
    So maybe look at the timing to se if it's breaking down when it gets warm.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

The timing plate is fixed on the ZL and electronically controlled thru the CDI.

The keyed ignition switches have had issue and needed cleaned on these bikes before. Try to wiggle the key a hair to a different position when it acts up and see if that makes a difference.

9. Gabmath01

Gabmath01 New Member

How to test timing when hot?

10. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

Let's not forget to check fuel delivery as well as what's posted above. Might be just enough to keep the carbs filling but not enough to keep them full after a few minutes. I would check with what's posted above first.