1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL600B Caliper on ZL600A Front End

Steve C Feb 27, 2018

1. Steve C

Steve C Member

Hey folks,

Can't find if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I am wondering if the 2 piston ZL600B brake caliper will mount right up to the forks/rotor on a ZL600A? I didn't realize the ZL600B had a better caliper until I saw one on eBay for cheap. Has anyone swapped the calipers on their ZL600A?

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The EL 250, ZL 6, 9 & 10 all take the same caliper. The twin piston caliper from the connie ZG 1000 86/06 will work. Buy one from a newer ZG 1000 so that you will not have to tear into it.

3. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Not sure if they will work or not 'cause I believe the rotors are on opposite sides from those models.

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You will need the connie caliper that is for the left or right side that is the same on your bike.

5. Steve C

Steve C Member

Sorry for taking a while to reply, thought I’d get notifications on my phone, but I don’t. So let me see if I understand this; I could use a Concours calipers from 1986-2006 as long as it is the left side caliper (my caliper is on the right)??

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No. You need the same caliper which would be the right side.

7. Steve C

Steve C Member

Amazing how I must have gotten distracted half way through my last message lol. Mine caliper is on the LEFT so I would need a left side concours caliper. The thing is all the ones ai looked up are the same single piston as mine...so there is no upgrade potential there. The reason I was interested in the ZL600B caliper is because it appears to be a dual piston that I would assume stops better?

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The Connies went to a two piston caliper in 1994.

10. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

The brake discs changed as well in dia. 270mm => 300mm - could this be a prob.?:dontknow:I guess so...

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It very well may be a problem. The only thing one can do is order one & hope for the best.

12. Steve C

Steve C Member

That last link to the dual piston for $35 R.J. Posted looks like a killer deal. Seems like I would need to go with a 300mm disk too though right? Sorry for a million questions but does anyone have an idea if a 300mm connie disk and caliper would bolt right up to the zl600a forks and wheel? Between the larger disk and dual piston caliper it would have to increase braking power

13. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

I guess the prob. starts with mounting the caliper, compare pics in the web of A and B model; you won't get a 300mm disc onto your rim, look for the differance where the bolts are to screw the disc tight...it's a waste of money&time IMHO.

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Most likely you would have to fabracate a new mounting bracket in order to go to a larger disk.

15. Steve C

Steve C Member

Fabricate a new bracket you say? I’m good lol