1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl600 still overheating

Eugene Keller Sep 25, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What kind/brand of thermo stat are you using. You can test it by boiling water to see if it opens.

2. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Not sure on brand but got 3 stats all test out ok

3. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

No pods original airbox. Plugs are ngk dont remember what # but dealer cross ref them

4. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

And you’ve tested the radiator to be sure it’s actually flowing?

5. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Yes I did .

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I was talking about the Main hose provision not the overflow bleed hoses! The situation sounds like either an air-lock or the fact that the engine is at fault; timing is wrong or the mixture is excessively weak and the engine is producing too much heat n' the cooling system is being over-whelmed. The small 4's do run hot n' that is not a surprise as everything is so crammed in together. Spark plugs for the earlier "A" series are NGK DR8ES or Nippon Denso NDX27ESR-U. Next thing to do is check the mixture n' perhaps that the carb's have the right jets in them! Is the water-pump worn could coolant be passing backwards through the rotors through wear?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Trojan441, I thought it was a mistake but after checking, I see the resistor plugs DR8ES were used for non- US models. Most shops only stock the resistor types because that's what all bikes eventually went to. Sadly, parts guys will insist they'll work fine and are reluctant to special order the right ones.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: EUGENE said: Not sure on brand but got 3 stats all test out ok. What are the 3 thremo stats that you have rated at. Is one of them OEM.

9. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

The Spark plug recommendations came out of the Kawasaki manual, sorry for the USA it states NGK D9EA or NDX24ESR-U or NGK D8EA or ND X24ES-U. In the old days your engine spark plugs used to show up on the TV screen, hence they insisted on suppressed plugs!

10. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

In US, we have resistors in the caps instead of plugs. I would replace the resistor with a slug of copper and just use the DR8 if they are questionable.

Do you guys have both resistor caps and plugs? Can't easily pull up part numbers for other regions. It's easy to check if you can unscrew the spark plug contact. A resistor and spring should be in there. If there is one please measure the resistance as I would expect it to offer no resistance since you already have the radio noise supression built into the plug.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  11. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

I check again it wasn't flowing good took it off and flushed the hell out of it, but looked inside and could see still plugged up. So I ordered a different radiator of Ebay only place I can find one.

12. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

A rad shop should be able to "boil" that out for you.

13. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Ya thought about that but it's in ruff shape. Bunch of fins are bend and broken. Just easier to replace it

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

15. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Would like to thank everyone for you Input, Knowledge. I believe I solved my problem. New radiator drove 60 miles and about 10 miles riding her hard, no overheating

Eastwood, 87kawzl and Trojan441 like this.
  16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: We are here to help out fellow MEMBERS. That's what we do. :notworthy:.