1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl400 silencer help needed please

Lizzy Apr 8, 2019

1. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

hi there
    I am new to the forum, I have a zl400 d model, I was just wondering if anyone might know if there are after market silencers that I can use as my silencer has blown a hole
    Thank you

Lizzy

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Where R U? in the UK you can get exhausts by Predator, but some people will make copies of your pipes if they have an original set to work from! Most Kawasaki pipes as original where of a double skin steel fabrication to stop heat patterning on the exterior! Alternatively, there is Ebay, but nearly everything included Predator stuff is advertised for the ZL 600, which if not quite the same, I think that they are the same or can be adapted to fit !

The problem is the small fours do not have much information on them, but copy n' check the part numbers on the ZL 400 Microfiche then check the part number against listed ZL 600 part numbers on items listed.

Cheers

John

3. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Hi John
    Thank you
    Lizzy

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: From what I have read the ZL 400 & 500 share all the same parts as the ZL 600 - the cyns & heads. Cobra F1 used to make an aftermarket set of mufflers.

5. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

I have a few engines now, including a Japanese Home market, GPX ZX400 & when I take the head off I can compare it directly to a ZL600 also stripped down @ the moment!

The GPX 400 & GPX 600 engines have supposedly "trick" engine internals, crankshaft, valve gear, all lighter this and allowed the GPX series a 9/10 bhp advantage over the same capacity GPZ 600 engines! The 400 cc derivatives are more powerful too!

In a book I have just acquired the Author Mick Walker, " Kawasaki Fours", which strangely has a chapter on the SIX? He states that, professional tuners / racers, considered the Air-cooled 5 bearing crankshaft, 550cc "box-stock" motor to be one of the strongest motors ever built, ( & not just by Kawasaki ), therefore derivatives based on it, 400s /600s, also to have exceptional reliability. However, from the air-cooled 550 cc motor, bore centre cylinders 2 & 3 are different, by inwards 1 mm in liquid-cooled examples, also the engine is 40 mm narrower & except for cam-chain location being central, the head & valve gear are similar to the GPZ900 R!

So there u go u that tinker!

Cheers

John H

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

I meant silencers too.

7. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Correction cam chain central on GPZ900R also!

8. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Above not true, I questioned my knowledge or lack of it! And incredibly Mick Walker's Kawasaki Fours has a wrong "sectioned" engine picture for the GPZ 900 R engine in it, showing a Central cam-chain!

9. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Gpz900r engine drawing:
    IMG_20190516_175434.jpg

10. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Cheers, yes , I thought I was right initially with the left side mounted camshaft, but then found this central camshaft location on an engine in the Book purporting to be a GPZ900R!

I was offered one 1985 GPZ 900 R, for £300 12 months months ago, but had no where to put it!