1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL1000's kick ZL900's Ass !!

Bacchus Dec 8, 2007

1. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

I'd love to see Wuputt and Madman in a drag race, that would be awesome! We've gotta make it happen this summer boys!!!! :headbang:

2. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Its on then.....wuputt??? Just gotta find a track that we agree on, thats some pretty big miles between us.......VMD country road????? Have some of the boys block off a country road...meaning NO on comers or cops ...post look outs....:evil:

3. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Re: How can I tell the 1987 ZL 1000 standard from the ZL1000 reduced effect? Please

I wouldnt be supprised if some country actually did have a law that forced them to put out a limited power or at least a speed limited model. I actually belive the zl750 has some type of speed restriction installed on some but the US got two versions the communist state of california version and the one for the other free 49 states!! The actual HP ratings are the same but there is a small difference in performance that would only be noticed by the best riders. The differences are in the emmisions and the jetting wich is easy to change simply by removing the extra emmisions and re-jetting the carbs. Everything else on the bikes is the same.

The 110 HP is derived at the crank not based on rear wheel HP so many people who have run or seen one run on a dyno and know nothing about the correction factor (differences for relative temps and raw HP differences from dyno to the next dyno) have made up excuses for showing lower numbers than others and started rumers like you have heard.

Simply put if you unbolt a motor and do the math at the crank on the same dyno kawasaki used every single zl will fall within range of the projected HP rating at the specified RPM.

Dont bother worrying about the differences on the cali model -vs the 49 state version just find a nice bike and if it ends up being a cali model get rid of the emmisions and re-jet the bike using a dyno to do the final tuning and have the dyno operator turn the calculations/corrections off and only show the raw HP and it will be over 90HP at the rear wheel wich in turn when you figure the loss threw the drivetrain back to the crank will be very close to 110HP and in some cases a little over 110.

Good luck.

4. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

One thing I loved and hated about the roads around VMD, you have to search for a stretch of road longer than 1/4 mile with no hills or curves!
    I do miss riding those roads every day!

5. madmanncr500

:banghead: dam it man.......... Here in Indiana were i live any way thats all you see...straight country roads and corn!!!:rotf: oh and some beans!!!:headbang:

6. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Yeah, Jarney's always bragging about that :rotf:

7. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

It's the same where I live here in Minn. I can see 10 miles down the road! Makes for some great high speed runs! Just gotta watch out for those dang black and white kitties!

8. madmanncr500

Same here, when the corn is down "WIDE OPEN RUNS!!! :headbang:

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: FL is 90% flat straight roads & can be road on with a motorcycle 365 days a year in sunny conditions with out old man winter holding you hostage. :rotf: R. J.

10. madmanncr500

:pistols:

11. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

But it's unfortunately oh so true....................hahahahaha. Later.

12. madmanncr500

When the corn is up makes for a boring and dangerous ride....cant see those dam deer till its to late!!!! Dont do much riding when its harvest time, the farmers in the fields spook the deer.....::nono:

13. wuputt

I spend more time watching the edges of the corn fields than I do the road! Crucial out here in the sticks! Night riding after the 4th of July is almost intolerable due to the bugs the size of blackbirds! Full gear only!

14. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

:laughing4: :bs:

15. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

:laugh:

16. madmanncr500

::nono: ................

17. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

I'm bringing this back to life. I'll have a slip this Saturday and I'll post it here. 85 ZL900 CA with pods and jets with COP ignition.

18. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

1/8 or 1/4 mi?
    Ever race before?

19. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

1/4 At Gateway Motorsports Park, I believe 1/8 will also be on the ticket. No I've never been down the track on a motorcycle but I've been practicing launches on the street (I know, I'm a horrible irresponsible cyclist) and I think it will be fun at least.

20. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Should be fun, no doubt!
    Local tracks here required full faced helmet (snell I think), jacket, gloves and boots. That was back in the day and I always wore my leather pants too.

Launch on a track is different than on the street, much stickier. You need to feed it more rpm out of the hole or you will bog. Line it up in a tire track, not in the center of the lane. Drive around the water because you are not a top fuel slicks machine and don't need a big burnout. Plus you don't want water on your front tire to wet the back tire on green light. Just pull it up till the first stage light is lit then gently ease into the second stage light and stop. You want to stage deep to avoid red lights.

Have fun and represent the ZL well!

kvalheim likes this.