1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl1000 rebuild

Kevin Peck Jun 11, 2019

1. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

So I was gifted a zl1000 in a box. I'm having some trouble with the rebuild. Does anyone have any build pictures that I can use as a reference. As much as I like the exploded diagrams, they aren't much help to tell me what goes where on the frame.

2. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Well that is nice to get a gift such as that. I would like to get a gift of a ZL900. I could only find a ZL600 on the west coast which I opted for. It should be straight forward to start with.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It would be best to post up what you want as you go and I can take pics or point you to the correct thread if I can. Unlike myself most people on the forum don't post up pics when they do any kind of rebuilding or what have you.

4. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

If it were my bike I would first remove the valve cover to see if there’s any damage to the cams etc. Then try and crank the motor over to make sure that it is not seized up. If not at least you can see the cams and valves moving. Also drain the oil and look for any metal parts in it. Just a suggestion to start.

5. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

Attached Files:

6. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

It literally came to me like this. Dry stored. Motor turns. No damage. No oil.

Attached Files:

7. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

When I get back out there i'll post some pictures.

8. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

He didn't have time to rebuild it. It was literally in a box. Instead of seeing it rot away, he gave it to me.

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Holly Crap you are going to have your work cut out for you. Are you going to do a ground up restoration to show room quality or just make a good clean runner.

10. Kevin Peck

Kevin Peck New Member

At first I'm going to make a clean runner. I'm going to slowly work up to show room bike as I make some money to do so.

11. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Enjoy the ride. I spent 1 1/2 years getting my ZL 600 running like it is.

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: We can help you when you need us. Most of anything that can be done on our ZLs has been documented here on the Forum. If you do not have manuals you can get them from the Down Load section.