1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL1000 Horn covers

Wissler Aug 7, 2013

1. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Wissler, do you think a better price would be had if there were more parts at once? Or because it's so labor intensive it won't matter?

2. VROD BABE

VROD BABE _________________________ BANNED

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Wissler

Wissler Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bob. Not sure. I took some pics of a horn cover and emailed it to them. Their quote for 1 was $50-$65 per cover. I just threw in the brake splitter and crossed my fingers.
    I'd like to do both rear fenders, gauge cluster, and black side covers.

4. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Thanks, was wondering if a group of us got together whether it would cut the cost.

Future plan sounds awesome, especially with your silver paint!

5. SandstoneSmitty

SandstoneSmitty Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1, So shinny I had to use shades to look at the pictures!!!!!

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I would like to have my horn covers rechromed. Not sure how we would do a group deal. I guess the best thing is send our parts to one person. Then have them done. Then again the cost savings would be eaten up in double shipping.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: On the topic of horn covers what is the status of the member you was going to try to duplicate the ZL 1s horn covers. Did he manage to get one from someone as a templet?

8. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Foot peg perches. Rear master cover. Fork lowers. Rear rails. Engine vent cover. Middle gear cover I would like to have done..

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yes R.J., a mold has been made and Oldrider is the one doing this. If he wants to step forward and give us an update on the progress, I'm sure he'll be along shortly to do so.

10. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Damn, you're going to make them rich! :laughing7:

11. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Did you ever get these done?

12. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Nope. Never did

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Old rider was the one that was going to get horn covers duplicated but he is MIA as so many other members. Does anyone know anyone that has a 3D printer.

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yep, Oldrider screwed me good on that cover. It's a wonder that I do anything for anybody but then I don't run into bad apples very often.

15. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:A good point...for all ZL plastic parts running out. First step is modeling w/ a program one can get for free in the web...:thumbsup:

16. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

I use Autodesk Inventor as my primary design software at work. The best way to duplicate is to lazer scan then dump that file into a printer.

Stock horns are pretty but frankly the dB is weak, I can yell louder. I'm about ready to shelve the original and put on some attention getters. Maybe I'll mount some real horns under the seat where the airbox was and unplug the spensive stockers.

17. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

AFAIK it's not possible to scan chromed pieces coz of too many reflections which blur the model; either de-chrome the part before or measure and rebuild in the pc. At this point I suggest a database on the side for ZL-3D-files which can be printed everywhere in the world and later chromed...

18. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

A quick coat of plastidip would solve any reflection issues. I don't have a lazer scanner at my disposal though.

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: My ZL 10 horns are louder than any stock horns that I've ever heard. Some of the cycle magazines said the same thing.