1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL 900/1000 Carb Removal/Install

R. J. May 1, 2017

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I've been talking with the guy that took over on Ron D. ZL 1000 Jeff. He did pull the carbs again which is the 3 rd. time. He sent me pics of his findings & they are not good. It looks as if they was never cleaned. I was with Ron A. the second time that he took them apart & cleaned them. So I don't understand why they look like they do. I know the fuel in my test tank was new. Also I use an inline fuel filter on it. carb_1.jpg carb_2.jpg carb_3.jpg carb_4.jpg carb_5.jpg carb_6.jpg

RLTherio and markus56 like this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

The cracked carb will make it run like poop.
    As far as oil, maybe valve cover leak or cranckase breather oil vapor.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Nice crack. How could a person even of put such a long screw or bolt in that caused the carb to crack and NOT notice it. :wtf:

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

It happens, when I sent off mine to be cleaned up by our resident carb guru he found one body cracked just like that. The P.O. must have done it because I never played with them beforehand. A kind member here helped me out by donating a rack of carbs that Rick used for the one body and four needles. He may still have a body in his parts bin RJ but it's been quite a few years.

5. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

I know Rick is backed up some on carb jobs. He was in the hospital due to health problems last week.

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Ron A put in all new O-rings & a new fuel feed T. When he did the carbs the first time #2 carb did have a longer screw in it. So Ron put the correct screw in it. He has hundreds of carb parts. He did not notice any cracks on any of the carbs. So I'm thinking the crack was done by the PO & it may of opened up after I installed the carbs. I'm just guessing at this point. I never done anything to them other than removing & installing them twice. Jeff put J B weld on the #2 cracked carb & he said it should be fine. I tried to find a replacement carb with no luck.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Carb removal video. Carb install video. Replacings carbs diaphragms. Syning carbs. Bench syning carbs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: While I switched over to my ZL 10. Rick West did my carbs. I installed my carbs in under 2 hours. I got all new parts so that must be why. :laughing7:. The TORMAX 1987 GPZ 1000 intake manifold boots worked great. One of my old air box boots had a hole in it. Must of been from a screwdriver. Also I installed my 2 new Motion Pro throttle cables & new choke cable also made my Motion Pro. See pics for details. IMG_4952.JPG IMG_4953.JPG IMG_4954.JPG IMG_4955.JPG IMG_4956.JPG IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4960.JPG IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4975.JPG IMG_4976.JPG IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4979.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    markus56 likes this.
  9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I made a mistake. The TOUR MAX boots that fit the ZL 10 are from 1984-1986 GPZ 900 & not a GPZ 1000.

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: This time when I installed my carbs I did not use a rachet strap. So Paul was right it doesn't really help. The GPZ TOUR MAX intake maniford boots are not angled as much as the stock OEM boots but the carbs are dead nuts level. Also I did not have to lift up on the backs of the carbs in order to get the air boxs duct boots onto the back side of the carbs.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Made in Japan TOURMAX intake boots 1984-1986 GPZ 900. TOURMAX part # 11-7334. $38 shipped from E-bay. Fits ZL 1000 IMG_5284.JPG IMG_5282.JPG IMG_5283.JPG

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

14. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

So I just tore my carbs out of my 900 for the second time as it seems to be running lean. The bike has been sitting for 4 years and the carbs needed to be cleaned. I took them apart about 2 weeks ago, but didn't pay any attention to the pilot jets. The plugs were still installed. I removed them and it does appear the factory settings for 1 and 3 seem to be on the lean side. There really wasn’t any gunk in them. Here are the settings they were at.

#1 - 1/2
    #2 - 2-1/8
    #3 - 1-5/8
    #4 - 2-3/8

The engine was taking too long (like 3 seconds) to return to idle from blipping the gas to about 4-5k rpm. Now, I am going to replace the coils with the stick mod because the resistance on the secondaries is too high (21kohm), so that may have something to do with it. But what should I set the pilot jets at? 2-1/2 on all 4? I'm in St Louis at about 800ft above sea level. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  15. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

My mistake. In the above post I am asking about the Air Fuel Screws or Pilot Screws, not the pilot jets.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

I would set them about 2.25 turns out as a starting point. Check your float heights too for sure.

17. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

Thanks WillyD! I just came in from the garage. I spent a few hours going through everything once again. I set them to 2.5 turns out, but I can tighten them up a quarter turn, no biggie. I did check the float heights this time with calipers, and two of them were about 1.5mm shy. Now all 4 of them are dead nuts 17.0mm.

18. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

2.5 is fine too. You can always fine tune them.

Breeze likes this.
  19. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

It looks like 2 turns out on all 4 carbs is what the bike seems to like! It runs as good as it did 25 years ago when I bought her!!

2.5 and it seemed like it was running lean as I described above (hanging a higher revs). So I went to 3 to richen it up and it was noticeably worse. Went down to 2, and all is great! But man, adjusting the #2 idle screw is a huge pain in the nutz!

20. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: One other thing to note is that elevation factors into how many turns that the air enriching mixture screws need to be turned out.