1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl 600 skipping

Joe Apr 14, 2019

1. Joe

Joe New Member

The 86 zl600 i have seems to break up a bit after 5500rpm you can hear it when its not under power and feel it under power all the way up to 8k then clears to 11k. It also sounds like it has an exhaust leak however it does not. Im wondering where to start for diag on it im still new to zl bike.

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It can be more than one thing going on. Pull your spark plugs & compare them to each other. Mark them 1,2,3,4 as you take them out so that you know which one is from what cyn. It could be that you have dirt/rust in your carbs. Drain each float bowl & check them for dirt. Some times sea foam will help clean the jets.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Just rebuilt carbs and cleaned them very well and changed plugs as well as checked out the boots and wires. Plugs have about 400 miles on them and are still clean. I also reset the valve lash and verified it again after some run time. Im hung up on the sound of an exhaust leak which did not start until this morning. I went through the entire exhaust from header to end and there are no leaks but it sure as hell sounds like there is one. Should have lead with what i had already done to it previously. I just got the bike and it was sitting in storage for a long long time. So went through and did the usual maintenance for a bike sitting so long. Pretty sure it had original plugs in it and it damn sure had original factory tires on it.

4. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

How are your vacuum lines connected? Stock airbox or pods?

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Stock airbox all vacuum lines connected and checked for leaks and or pluged up lines. There is only 4 vacuum lines 1-4 go to air switch and 2-3 go to petcock. If that matters

6. Ed

Ed Active Member

Did all the slide diaphragms stay seated when the caps went back on? Did it run good or better before?

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Plug off the 3 that don't go to the fuel valve/pet cock. Do you have a mechanics stethoscope. It may help pin point the noise. Do you have any vacuum lines that run to the air box. Does your motor have the 2 reeds on top of the valve cover.

8. Ed

Ed Active Member

The 600 normally runs a little flat in the mid-range. The exhaust leaks might be enough to make it feel even more flat in that range. I'd fix that first before pulling the carbs again. If it still feels flat, try cleaning the needle jets better and check the parts diagram to make sure all your parts are there.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah its got the reeds on it im pretty sure im thinking that they may be the culprit for the exhaust leak that mystifies me. The bike did not run better before i rebuilt carbs. It had sat a long time think im just going to block the reeds and remove suction off it see if that dont help. Also ed it sounds like an exhaust leak but there was not one to be found in the system itself. Believe me i looked it over not even so much as a pinhole leak in the exhaust itself.

10. prfixer

How about the carb holders? They dry out and get rotted over time. If the 600 is as much of a pita to put the carbs in as the 900 and 1000 are, I would make sure they aren't damaged or leaking.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Just had carbs off it the holders didnt look bad at all but probably have em off again sometime soon and check them out.

12. prfixer

Spray some starting fluid in their vicinity while it is running, you’ll know quick if they have any kind of a leak.

R. J. likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe New Member

Yep carbs slipped back just a hair off the motor and one of the two tubes between the filter box and the air box had moved off. So it was pulling air post filter. The bike runs damn good now no skip no breakup and god damn its fast now didnt realize these bikes had that much get up and go

R. J. and Eastwood like this.
  14. prfixer

Awesome!

15. Ed

Ed Active Member

Cool! Musta been running really bad if it made that much difference. Be sure to properly winterize it when the time comes and you shouldn't have any more carb problems.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah it hadnt been running good at all since i bought it recently. Lot of minor problems with it that had to get sorted out. Still a couple left to go on it but all in good time.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

So one more question for you guys. Do you know where i can find the wiring diagram for the cooling system. I have noticed the fan never kicked on so i tested it to see if it would grounding out the temp switch and it does not. So next is of course fuses but if i remember right they were fine when i checked them a few days ago.

18. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

19. Joe

Joe New Member

Unfortunately the zl manual doesnt have the wiring for the fan and how its run that i see so ill have to do it the old fashon way Figure out why its not turning on.

20. prfixer

Are you sure its hot enough to turn on?