1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL 600 Eliminator Spark Problem Please Help

Gakomi Apr 6, 2018

1. Gakomi

Gakomi New Member

I fell with the bike and after that it never started again ! I check to see what the problem was and it seems it only gets spark on plug 1/cylinder 1, I check to see if the plugs where the problem and they are not. Can anyone tell me what could have failed ?

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'd start with new spark plug wires. Did you check the wire connections at the 2 coils under the seat.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
  3. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Two things I would check, The starter relay (under left side cover) and the kick stank switch to see if any wires may be loose or broken.

4. Gakomi

Gakomi New Member

Already checked that and it was not it ! I found out what it was, I had a brocken wire that was going to one of the igniton pick up pulser or whatever that thing is called !

5. Gakomi

Gakomi New Member

I found out what it was, I had a brocken wire that was going to one of the igniton pick up pulser or whatever that thing is called !

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Good deal!! :clapping:. Glad it was just a broken wire. Was it one of these. IMG_6100.JPG

7. Gakomi

Gakomi New Member

yes it was one of the wires that come form the 59026 it was cut by the 92037 thingy !

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Was one of the pulsing coils clamps cutting into the harness.

9. Graphixman

Graphixman Member

I might have same issue on the 900 mine lost spark and starting problems..

10. Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce New Member

Thats the same problem im having is no spark! i was getting a small spark from #1 but nothing else. Havent been able to start this thing yet. Was hoping the $150.00 i spent on the thing wasn't a total loss. what about an igniter? this bike has one , right?

11. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

In the download section is the repair manual available for downloading. It will walk you through a logical progression to find the culprit rather than just taking stabs in the dark at the problem. It does require a few simple tools though, ie a volt ohm meter.

Aaron Pierce likes this.
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Did you just buy your bike. Is it a ZL 6 or 9. Did it run before you bought it.

Aaron Pierce likes this.
  13. Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce New Member

didn't run when i got it , carbs all apart. I get a spark first turn of the motor but then , nothing

14. Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce New Member

sorry , ZL900

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

16. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

When you crank the motor the first time and get spark, is it for as long as you continue to hold the starter button down, or do you release it and try again without touching anything else and get no spark? Or is it just a quick burst of spark and then nothing for the rest of the cranking cycle?