1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 8 issues

Jarney May 28, 2013

1. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Ok, just thought I would start a thread as people may or may not upgrade to Windows 8.

When I first came to the ZLOA site after getting this computer up and running, I was seeing a double banner of ZLMark. I sent a message to Mudrunner88 and also noticed that I could not use the enter key on my keyboard while typing the message. After sending the message, got a pop up related to the compatibility view - clicked on that and the double banner went away and the enter key began working - after doing that, I noticed that the threads I was reading are missing buttons (Reply button to the lower left) and that there is a huge gap of dead space above each post - I can switch back and forth on the compatibility view and I can get one or the other but not both - hahahaha. Microsoft has really done a number on this version of windows - when I first got online - it took about 2 hours just to get the 50 or so Windows Updates, installed and constantly restarting the computer - hahaha. I'll keep playing with it and trying to set things up and post updates as I go. Later.

2. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I also just noticed the orange bar where it says What's new, articles, forum, gallery - the gallery button is half the length of the whole thing - it's way out to the right and there are various icons missing at the bottom of posts.

3. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Just curious,Are you using Internet Explorer to view the site? Wonder how it would do with Chrome or Firefox.

4. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I was having the same issues with IE, downloaded Chrome, no issues!

5. Jarney

Yes and that is the work around currently for most from what I've been reading. I'm using Internet Explorer 10 and most will use Chrome or some other browser - I may go that route also eventually. Get this - I originally went to an old coworkers house to see Windows 8 in action for the first time - he said he had many issues and had spent the last 3 days (since he got the computer up and running) on the phone with tech support - the tech support guy - even using Remote Access - was not able to solve any of his problems and told my coworker to download and use Google Chrome - yeah, that's real good business practice - microsofts techs can't fix a problem so they recommend the competition - hahahaha. I'll keep working on it - Mudrunner88 gave me something to try - I'll let you know how it goes - I'm on the Windows 7 laptop now. I also had to upgrade my wireless device for internet - the old USB style ones are not compatible with Windows 8 so I now have one of those "Hotspots" or "Jetpacks" - which I'm not crazy about either - this has become an expensive change.

I just wanted people to know what they were getting into with Windows 8 as issues arise - I'm sure other sites and software companies are having similar problems - I have not tried to get my scanner/cameras/printers/files/or software, etc on the Windows 8 machine yet - I'm sure there's more problems I haven't found yet. Later.

6. Jarney

Ok, just an update, I'm still working on this as I get time. I managed to get the start menu back using Start 8 Menu - which is free to download and works/acts just like the previous windows start menus - also allows you to disable the "hot corners", "charms", etc. and allows you to boot straight to the desktop without using or seeing the "metro"/app screen. My printer and scanner (which is very old) hooked up and worked with no problem. My Nikon camera didn't play nice with Windows 8 when plugged in but the memory card reader works fine and hooking my 3 year old Samsung phone up to get pics off of it was a little tricky also. Once the pics were on the computer there was some issues trying to get the pics to come up - seems there are too many pic viewers on this particular computer fighting to be the default viewer. Put some of my files on and the files that were Word and Works would not display or at least not properly so I had to convert all of them to a different format. Been holding off on anything else - got a couple weeks before my bandwidth resets so I'm stuck for now before I download any software or mess with installing anything else - Google Chrome is next. Windows Live Mail is still working just fine on Windows 8 as well. Later.

7. Jarney

Just another update, my internet resets in a day or so. So I'm going to try and download some of the other stuff I need in the next day or two. I downloaded Google Chrome an hour or so ago finally and it definitely works better with various websites in conjunction with Windows 8. I didn't like that there wasn't a standard download box - maybe that is something in Windows 8 that I don't have set up right - you know - the box that shows the file size - so I don't know how close I am to my internet limit after downloading it. I really don't care for the interface of Chrome and the way it is set up but maybe I'll get used to it. I don't care for the way the bookmarks bar is set up - they take up space on the monitor unless you hide them and you can't move the bar to a different location and there's no option for automatically deleting the browsing history upon closing - it has to be done manually - which is a pain in the butt. It seems to be set up a little like Windows 8 is - extra steps to accomplish the same thing that was done with Internet Explorer. Later.

8. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Have you ever tried Firefox? I have used it since it first came & like it a lot.

9. Jarney

Not yet, but that may be something I look into in the future. I'm slowly getting a little used to Google Chrome but still don't care for the way it works. Still have several things to try and get installed and see what else doesn't work - hahaha. Turns out my scanner wouldn't play nice with Windows 8 - I thought it would until I actually tried to scan something - it was old anyway I guess. Later.

10. Jarney

Just thought I would post this up. The windows 8.1 update is now available. It has a few changes made to it but the only one I see that would do me any good is they added the Start button back, so I have not done the update as I'm not sure what it will do to the way I have things set up currently and they still are requiring you to have a Microsoft account. Below are a couple of links if you want to read up on it a bit. Later.

http://mashable.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-best-features/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/meet

11. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 Webmaster Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

The things they don't tell you:
    1. Windows 8.1 is breaking wireless on all kinds of devices that have Realtek wireless cards. Realtek hasn't released new drivers yet so your wireless becomes useless on these models unless you go back to 8.0
    2. You CAN login without a microsoft account, BUT none of your live tiles will work
    3. The Start Menu is put back SURE IT IS...:laughing7: When you press the damn thing all it does it bring you back to the dumb Metro Screen
    4. For $5.00 you can still go purchase and install "Start 8" from StarDock then you are back in business the way Microsoft should have done it to begin with! http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
    5. Windows 8.1 is NOT an update! It is actually an OS Upgrade. That is, once you install the update you can't remove it! The only way to get back to 8.0 is if you do a destructive restore on your computer...This is very time consuming due to data backup, restore, then windows updates, and install all your apps and printer all over again.
    6. Linux is Free! 99% of the time it already has all the device drivers! Oh and no virus'!
    7. But what about your microsoft office blah blah blah...Don't worry, they have programs VERY similar to Microsoft office that are also FREE and you can still open all your documents, excel files, etc.
    8. But I don't like change, I'm used to Windows. :bs: You don't like change but you are considering buying Windows 8??? :bs: Consider trying Linux Mint, free and it looks very familiar and it has a MENU on the taskbar :laughing7: http://www.linuxmint.com/

12. Jarney

Wow. Thanks for that info mudrunner88. Glad I did not do the upgrade. Later.

13. jmassengill

jmassengill Supporting Member Technical Author

Thanks for those words of wisdom Mud. :notworthy:

14. Reptar

Reptar Well-Known Member

I use Ubuntu <3
    I think I'll give mint a try.