1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

When it rains...it floods.

slug Jan 14, 2019

1. slug

slug Senior Member

So after my ZL9 sitting for a couple of years I finally get a set of pickup coils to cure my no-spark problem, and success I have spark and the bike started on 2-3 cylinders, I gave it a touch of throttle and now it’s just flooding on all 4 cylinders immediately after drying the spark plugs off. At least one of the cylinders tries to fire occasionally but I can’t get it to run again, although I’ve had a few explosions of what sounds like combustion of unburnt fuel in the right side muffler (loud pop/bang).

I’m using a small remote tank so the petcock is not involved, Im pretty ignorant of carb functions so while I can imagine stuck need,Ed on individual carbs I can’t figure out how all 4 cyclinders get flooded? If it is a clue I note when I put fresh oil in the old oil also smelled suspiciously of fuel.

I guess carb rebuild might be the answer seeing as they haven’t been done in about 10 years, just always happy to hear any advice or wisdom from the pros/bros :)

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Gummed up carbs from sitting so long would be my first guess. Off to WickedZL for a rebuild!

3. slug

slug Senior Member

Yep pretty much thanks for the backup, I guess I’ve been pretty lucky getting 30,000 miles since last clean 8 years ago!

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

5. slug

slug Senior Member

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I didn't know your location.

7. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

In that case check out the tech section for a great step by step and tell the wife the dining room table is being used for a day or two.

8. slug

slug Senior Member

Well its got to be 95% of the ZL9/10s in the US right so you were a safe bet to assume :) Kwaka NZ brought a few in here and so mine has the factory "kilometres per hour" speedo with no MPH at all.

9. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:Mine has the kph-speedo too which was good for me as we have it here in Germany - bike was orig. made for Canada import. I'd suggest to buy an ultrasonic cleaner where you can get in one carb coz after this long time it's better to replace all o-rings you can reach after disassembling the whole carb bank. What about a spare bank for your 9? If interested I keep an eye on offers, right now one in France for sale: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rampe-carburateur-KAWASAKI-ZL-900-ELIMINATOR-/173726919354?nav=SEARCH

10. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

79FF6E53-BD92-4E25-8530-4B7D3A7E49AE.jpeg C56AEC40-F175-48BE-A2F3-28AECFC35928.jpeg Here are my carbs after disassembly and inspection. Took me about 2 hours from being in the bike to this point. I’m now putting them back together now as they are good to go.

R. J. and 87kawzl like this.
  11. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Have you polished the seat for the needle valve? Recommended...
    CIMG0531.JPG

R. J. likes this.
  12. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Yes, all is good!

Brad

13. slug

slug Senior Member

Grateful for the advice as always, you brave carburettor warriors! But I have officially thrown in the towel and I have paid a local shop to get it running including cleaning the carbs, they came and collected it in their motorcycle ambulance on Tuesday. They have many very good customer reviews and the guy gave me confidence when not fazed by the age of the bike nor the greater issue of why it has been laid up 3 years, that it was cutting all ignition when reaching operating temperature.

When I got the bike I replaced the carb boots but I’ve never thought of chasing a spare set of carbs for the bike. Until now mine have been very reliable for 10 years/50,000 kms, but the magic I think is the bike probably never sat more than a couple of weeks at most during that time. We have quite mild winters and I (used to!) think nothing of riding in the rain. What I really want after 12 years is the most important - nice original wheels! I think wheels and triple tree the only external bits I haven’t reconditioned....

It’s summer here of course so am excited by the prospect I might be on the bike by next week, 3 years with the bike not running has really flown by..

14. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Good luck with the shop repair, hope you are headed down the road on it shortly! There is snow outside my window that is getting an inch of rain dumped on it, then more snow to come this weekend. I think it was a good thing I started mine up and got her good and warm a week ago since I didn't drain the bowls this year.

15. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

That is super! Here in the states they will not even take them that old. I took my 900 to a Kawasaki shop one day years ago and the only reason they looked at is because how nice the bike looked and in original condition.

They charged me 1200 dollars because they had to go through the carbs 3 times before they got it right. They said we had to do this, we had to do that, blah blah, blah! I told them It’s not my fault you don’t know what you are doing and not paying for training. I gave them $500 and told them I would pay the rest later. Well, I called headquarters and told them the same thing that I was not paying 1200 because you had to bring someone in to teach you how to do it right the 1sr tine. They agreed and was good with the $500. Was it worth $500 even? No, but I was glad to have that ZL back running strong. I did a burnout for them before I loaded it in the trailor. I sold that 900 years later and now just have my red 900! I don’t do burnouts on that one, lol!

Brad

R. J. likes this.
  16. wickedzl900

wickedzl900 Senior Member Supporting Member

i 3will do the carbs for free

R. J. likes this.
  17. slug

slug Senior Member

Thanks for the well wishes! He rang me to say carbs done and bike is running again, was confident it will be all sorted by tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t know the mechanic bill yet, but i will have to pay about $400 USD for road registration here...for just 12 months...for each bike you own! We have ACC health care here in New Zealand so any hospital treatment is free (or at least paid by tax)...excepting motorcyclists alone as the only high risk group that pays extra by added levy in our bike registration fee!

18. slug

slug Senior Member

Thanks bud that is very kind and most appreciated. But this guy not snoozing they are already done and bike running again. Biggest problem for me with ZL parts being mostly in US is the weight means shipping back and forth from New Zealand to USA is already stupid big $$$.

wickedzl900 likes this.
  19. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

That was one kind offer to help a ZL Brother.

R. J. likes this.
  20. slug

slug Senior Member

Well better only than the original $1500? I had a less than pleasing experience at a major too, i think maybe it’s hard to get that one on one care in those places, and someone sensitive enough to work with aged parts. I will find out in a few hours what I’m down for, but at this stage that thought of riding it after 3 years is almost priceless. I pulled out my original sales brochure last night hyping myself up lol

My ZL9 has more miles on it than all 3 of your bikes together! I’ve always ridden “medium-hard” and it’s been nothing but impressive to me how reliable mine has been over the years as a daily rider. Before the recent crop of electrical issues laying it up the only thing I remember it being off the road for was for a failed driveshaft universal. I bought a used one and replaced it myself, a total pain in the ass job if there ever was one!