1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good daily rider?

rammy1500 May 30, 2013

1. Mxboost

Mxboost Senior Member Supporting Member

Rammy, I recently purchased a new Vulcan 900 Custom. Pros: 50+ mpg, ride is nice, turns nice, shifts smooth as butter. Cons: Runs smooth until you hit about 65mph, then gets a vibe. It doesn't get any worse as you accelerate to higher speeds. It is common on most of them, and correctable with pulley, and tire size changes. Some people live with it, and some don't like it. I changed the front drive pulley, and it did little for me. I may change the rear, or I may just learn to live with it. It isn't too bad. I'm 5'8", and 48 years of age. The bars are a bit of a reach for me, and the forward controls could stand to move to me about an inch to make it comfy. I bought some risers with the hopes that maybe bringing the bars back would fix the leg stretch as well. I haven't put them on yet, but will soon. Without them though, I am getting used to the stock position. With all of that said, I love the bike, but If I were to do it again, I would go Mean Streak 1500 or 1600. I just do too much driving above 70.

2. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

I put a clutch in a buddies Mean Streak...And i really liked that bike for some thing like a work commuter..it surprised the hell out of me for a v-twinnie!!!!!!

3. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

The Mean Streak is the best handling late model production cruiser made. The prices are getting down there where you could put a bore/cam kit in it and have a world class little ride...:thumbsup:

4. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Interesting....

5. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Meanstreak the best handleing??? I wasnt impressed with them at all!!! I wont even talk about the disapointment I had after getting onto a bike Kawasaki had the audasity to call "MEAN" anything. Lets just say I have been calling it the WHIMPY STREAK ever since that test ride!

6. HilbillyRokstar

Read any test you want...of all the late model cruisers...it wins in that category every time! I never said it...or any other production twin...was fast. (If you want fast buy a friggin Ducati Diavel or a new Vmax!) When it comes to turning and stopping though...it does those VERY WELL. The only fly in the ointment in that category is ground clearance. Say what you will...I have ridden them all (the japanese ones) and I stand by my statement. PS- did you ride the 1500 or the 1600....there is over 1/2 a second difference 1/4 mile wise between the two. The 1600 runs 13.20s ...FWIW...(solid 12s with a top end job...notably faster than a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 which also ran 13.2 in Cycle World).

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

connie droppers anonymous? :laugh:

8. HilbillyRokstar

Yeah...their mommas must be proud! :laughing7:

9. HilbillyRokstar

10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I will be going for a middle weight standard for my next, say f800r, triumph tripple, monster, fz...my commute is only 10 mi and I want light weight. Good luck with whatever you decide.

11. paulfun

I really dont put much faith in what the magazine tests say. So I ignore 90% of what the mags say and when a bike strikes me as interesting I go ride one and develope my own opinion! Since 2004 I wanted to buy a new bike for doing longer rides and test rode just about everything under the sun with probably two exceptions both being Ducatti bikes that might have worked well, but I just could not stand thier looks. For me it wasnt untill I rode the triumph thunderbird 1700 that I finally decided to spend that money and I belive what makes a bigger statement is the fact that being as cheep as I am actually spending the cash for a Brand new bike rather than buying a used bike like the meanstreak makes an even bigger statement!

Now I have read the post you linked to before and came away with the feeling he felt the Thunderbird was the better bike overall. So I went back and rearead the post here is his closing on page 2.

--"The Meany is still a very good lking bike and you can find them attractively priced at this time, but overall there is no denying that the Tbird is a better bike and does everything as well if not better than the Meany."

Kawasaki did a great job of imitating HD with the meanstreak! Just like a HD you have to buy the bike and then immediately add $$$ to make it perform and handle. I purchased my thunderbird and have been rideing it since day one without the need for any performance or suspention upgrades.

Now lets talk about the power. I did not buy this bike to be a 1/4 mile machine so the overall fastest bike would not immediately get my attention. What I wanted was a bike that inspired the power curve like the ZL does, as in I dont have to shiftgears all the time, I can access the power on this bike in almost all situations without a downshift and it just pulls! That to me just like the ZL, makes for a very rideable machine in all situations.

For a different perspective on performance I suggest you read post number6 by yellowbird ( http://www.zl-oa.com/community/threads/baffles&p=163679#post163679.17122 ) after we got done working on his 100+ to the rear wheel ZL1 here at my garage and then did some side by side tests to get an Idea of how the thunderbird actually compared to the ZL. It was much closer than you would think.

Belive me I didnt buy this bike to be the fastest bike. I wanted a bike with a long range without refueling, comfortable for two up rides, capeable of lending itself to my aggressive rideing style when need be as I have an addiction for the twisties that I dont have to whench on or modify to get what I want I would have purchassed anything that felt right no matter the brand! The thunderbird 1700 just felt right and did everything well making it a good all around bike!

The only mods I will be making to this bike is the installation of floor boards and higway pegs as I find the cruiser possition a little lacking when the ride gets over 400 miles long and the floor boards will give me better options to move my feet around.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  12. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Have you put the bags on Paul?

13. HilbillyRokstar

I'm not knocking the Tbird in any way....as you can read on that forum, okcTRIPLE is a bit of a Triumph lover and I bleed Kawasaki green...but I don't let that cloud my judgement when it comes to motorcycle performance. I am a b/k right leg amputee...and as such...have no urge to ride anything over the 700 lb weight limit...regardless of engine performance. Other wise I would be eyeing a Vulcan 2000 instead of a Can Am Spyder ...for my next non-4 wheeled toy! The 1600 Kawi is approximately 100 lbs lighter than your Tbird...I can enhance performance on an engine...but what can you do with an unwanted 100lbs on a bike? Nothing I know of...:goodluck:

14. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Bottom line is Rammy should ride as many bikes as he can and make a decision as to what HE likes and fits him the best.

15. HilbillyRokstar

That is true...however...he did ask our opinion. :thumbsup:

16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Yep...he did...

17. HilbillyRokstar

He definitely got his money's worth...lol

18. mybroszl

mybroszl Active Member

so whats up rammy? what did you figure out?

19. paulfun

The whieght is for the most part unnoticed by me with the two exceptions of backing it out of the garage, and making the mistake of parking it at an angle where I need to move it backwards uphill when I park. I was also concerned about the excess whieght before I decided to buy the bike but after a test ride and some slow manuvers at less than parking lot speed I soon realised that the whieght wasnt an issue at all. No its not as nimble as a sportbike or a much lighter bike at the slow speeds but a good rider will have no issues with its slow speed handleing at all, after a week or two. The whieght does carry an advantage when you get out on the highway with big trucks and or in high winds she is rock steady and that my friend is a definate pluss.

I may be a little critical of Kawasaki lately as they have let me down one too many times with thier copies of the HD that lack the true heart and performance that I grew up expecting from them and thier transformer sport bike wanna bees! For the most part I am still impressed with thier sport bikes but with the new look of most of the sport (all manufacture) bikes I would still opt for older ones or go to the top of the class and get a zx14! If the woman would let me I would have one right beside the zl,s and triumph in a heart beat!

Willy no I dont have the bags on yet, they are at the painters and he might be a while as he is busy but cant complain since the paint and labor will be free! We did however get the floorboards, highway pegs and the engine dresser bars but so far have only had time to mount the passenger floor boards. The other half is really happy with them so far and hopefully tommorrow I can get the fronts on.

Bottom line is not everybike is for everybody but when someone asks about or for suggestions you will get many varied opinions on the subject. As others have said take the time to go look and test ride as many as possible. Rammy one thing triumph does right is they have demoes at most of thier dealerships and I highly recomend you test ride a few.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Paulfun, It is not just Kaw it is all the Japanese bike manufactures. I have never cared for V twines or that much for V 4s. Just something about an inline for that gets me pumping. Not much out there period. Stupid crotch rockets. If I want to lay face down I'll go to bed. :laughing7: