1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of engine oil?

zl_havoc Dec 22, 2012

1. zl_havoc

zl_havoc Well-Known Member

What type/brand of engine oil do you guys find the best for our zl900's? Some where I read synthetic wasn't good for our engines. I'm doing my first oil change on it and want to use the right stuff. Thanks.

2. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

The ZL900 and ZL1K's use a different starter clutch, the 1K being the better setup. Some people have had issues with the starter clutch acting up on their 900's after using synthetic. Most are happy with MC specific oil or something like Shell Rotella. Just don't use any type of oil branded as "fuel saving" or having friction modifiers as it will not work well with wet clutches. I personally like the Rotella 15-40. You can get it al wally world for cheap and it works well with the moderate temps around here. I only put on about 3K miles a year. If I rode more or under hotter conditions, I would probably go with the Rotella synthetic. This has been discussed on the forum many, many times. Do a search and you should find plenty of good reading material.

3. zl_havoc

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the rotella but wasnt sure. Something like the Rotella diesel blend.

4. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Supporting Member

I use Golden Spectro 4 10-40 Petroleum base oil in the 900, I use Golden Spectro 4 semi synthetic 10-40 oil in the 1000 and I use golden spectro semi synthetic 20-50 in my Ninja 1000R and in my Hyabusa.Im having great results with both my ZL s using the oil I have described, you should do the same..

5. zl_havoc

Where would I get golden spectro at? Never heard of it.

6. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Cycle shop or online retailer like dennis kirk or chaparral

7. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

I have been using Rotella 15-40 in my 900 since 08 & am very happy with it.

8. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Rotella 15-40...:thumbsup:

9. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

me 2

10. zl_havoc

I went to wally world and for less than $14 ill go with the rotella. Although for $22 Kawasaki has their brand oil, anyone tried that?

11. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I think many like myself used to use the Kawasaki 20w50, ran it a long time with no problems but after hearing all the good reviews on other oils, I wound up switching to the Rotella like most have and would never go back to Kaw brand now. Rotella is easier for me to obtain, cheaper, seems better for the bike all around - quieter, easier cold starts, etc. Your results may vary, but that's what I noticed about it. And like others have stated, I would not bother with the synthetic on the 900 due to the starter clutch issue that some bikes seem to may or may not have. Later.

12. reddobie0

reddobie0 Well-Known Member

Rotella 15w-40 in all my bikes. New bike I bought guy gave me 5 quarts of Amsoil Motorcycle oil 20w-50. Will sell in the spring too heavy for me.

13. AlanC

AlanC Member

Went to Walmart to pick up some Rotella 15w-40 for my ZL900; many here seem happy with that brand. However, it said it was Heavy Duty Diesel oil. Is this the same Rotella 15w-40 that all of you are using or is there another one that is not for diesel motors?

Thanks,

Alan

14. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Yes, it's diesel oil.

15. AlanC

AlanC Member

Thank you Kawboy.

16. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

But that is the Rotella that everybody is using, even though it is labeled for diesel.

17. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

We use this oil, because we are "mimicking" a diesel engine. Diesels are built really HD, due to high compression and other propertys that we benefit in using this type of oil. It has a higher "sheer" point. I really like the way it behaves in the "two finger" test. Basically get some different viscositys of oil you have laying around. Then place a very small amount (about the size of a ballpoint pen tip) yea...that small. between your fingers and rub them together....I learn this from an old guy...really old guy..long story, but anyway. you'll notice the Rotella in particular having a much higher "cling" and resistance to dissipate. Whereas, synthetics will get outta the way quicker that you can shake a stick. Then regular oil is between the 2.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  18. jd2ndzl

jd2ndzl New Member

Is that the rotella T 15w 40

19. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Yes.

20. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Castrol's 4T synthetic oil?