1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

USD fork swap, stem sizes etc

Soybean Feb 12, 2018 at 8:37 AM

1. Soybean

Soybean New Member

Hey folks. One of the things I'd like to do to my ZL600B is fit USD forks. Partly for aesthetics, but also for any handling benefits they may offer, as well as the option to fit twin front disks.
    I know there's a few things to consider, but the stem size is what's bugging me mostly right now. Until I remove my forks I don't the diameter and length of the stem. I was wondering if there's a common stem size between different Kawasaki bikes, and maybe other brands too that would make the swap a bit more straight forward.
    There's a few motorcycle breakers near to me that have plenty of USD forks in stock complete with triple tree and top yokes. It would make life simpler if I knew there was a range of forks I could easily pick up and fit. If it came to it and I needed the triple tree off one bike and the fork legs from another then so be it.
    As it is though the stem size is info that seems difficult to find, for any bike really. I know the stem from my original forks can be removed and refitted to the lower yoke (is that what it's called?), but I want to be able to sell the forks on if possible so would rather keep them complete.
    If all else fails I'll either just keep the standard forks or fit some other "conventional" forks from say a ZRX 1100/1200 or similar, if they'd fit.
    Thanks in advance. :victory: