1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Today's Weather

R. J. Jan 3, 2014

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Deltona,FL. Now 43*. High to be 71*. Huntington, PA. Now 9*. High to be 17*. New Castle, IN, -3*. High to be 15*. Louisville, KY. Now 13*. High to be 27*. I won't be able to ride until noon. What you guys going to do today. I think I'm going to go squirrel hunting this morning. I just finished restoring my first gun that my Dad gave me on my 5th B-Day in 1963. I had to get a firing pin made for it. They soaked me for $85. I guess that is not to bad for a one time thing.

2. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

Cold here too this morning, 5 degrees and only supposed to get colder by early next week, talking about temps below zero that we haven't seen here in 5 years. Oh well, HillBilly can keep his weather, it's really the only thing he's got going for him. :laughing7:

3. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

-15 this morning, going into the single digits for a high today. 20's tomorrow, and then we are headed into a deeper deep freeze Sunday through Tuesday. Waiting for spring to come in about 4 months.

4. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Trying to thaw out today. Then get ready for the foot of snow and sub zero temps next week. Hopefully the truck will start after work each day next week and I won't have any busted pipes or other problems. Later.

5. OldRider

OldRider Active Member

Today and tonight's forecast, Cold, Bitter Cold, and Oh My God below zero.

6. hmt81

hmt81 Well-Known Member

Rub it in R.J. , enjoy that ride today, just finished blowing about 8" of snow and cleaning off the cars here in NJ

7. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

-4 here now...I am not sure what the temp was when I left for work at 3:00 am. Roads were not the greatest. I just drove in 4wd all the way in at a max speed of about 45....Like you RJ I don't worry about it. Nothing I can do about it. A few years ago I backed out of the parking lot and drove to work after having about 22" of lake affect fall overnight. I got home from work yesterday and used the snow blower to do my place and a couple neighbors. I hate the bitter cold but this snow we got aint nothin like we have had and those guys out east (Paul, furchin, etc) got pounded with snow last year time after time. I have lived here 46 years....Ain't nothin new, actually pretty mild in comparison to some years ago...

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: As soon as my 3 Sycamore trees finish dropping leaves I'll need to blow them into the woods. :laughing7: That is if it doesn't go over 70*. :laughing7: It is 4* out WillyD. I do not think it will hit the 70s today. Won't be going for no ride today it is only 56*. We are having are first fire in the woods tonight. It has just got cold enough to have fires outside. About a dozen of us will be out on are ATVs enjoying the cool temps.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Not sure what the Weatherman was smoking this morning a 5:00 AM when he said it was to be 70*. It never got above 46*. To windy to hunt & to cold to ride so I finished my ceramic tile in our 3rd bathroom. Now they all match.

10. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Well it was -6 last night when I arrived home from work, haven't looked out at the temp for today as of yet just glad that coal stove keeps the house nice and warm! I was going to plow the snow from yesterday out of the driveway but I know going out there in this cold will have my knees hurting for a week so I'll just stay inside and dream of summer. The funny thing is I just got off the phone with my sister down in florida and she was complaining about it being cold there yesterday? If it wasn't such a long drive I would go slap her upside the head as she grew up here and knows what cold really is!

11. Reptar

Reptar Well-Known Member

It's okay R.J. Every florida resident is a racist to some extent hahaha.

I just got back from the store, I ran out of fruity pebbles. I swear in the sun it feels like 70* tops, but it's about 62* right now.
    Yesterday was weird, Around 11am it was still about 38* outside, I was slightly chilly riding at speed, and almost sweating with all my gear on in the sun at the lights.

12. SandstoneSmitty

SandstoneSmitty Senior Member Supporting Member

Riding has been delayed in Texas this week due to 32f degrees. I got in a couple of rides a few days before Christmas. My low range is 35f with a high of 105f. Time to do long needed Valve Adjustment, Starter Chain Upgrade, and replace Oil Pan Gasket. (See following post.)

13. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

supposed to get up to 65 today. Usually have a lot of rain this time of year, but, not so much so far.

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Pauly :laughing7: how far does your sister live from Deltona. I can do it for you. :laughing7: It is to be 80* Sunday then dip to the 30s at night for 2 nights then back into the 80s. Because of the high humidity that we have here in FL it seems colder than it actually is. To hot during the day to have on more than a t-shirt & cold at night even at 60* to get caught out without a coat. Talking about coal stoves my parents home was heated by 2 coal stoves from 1950 until 1968. I remember going to the local Winering's Coal Mine & filling up the back of my Dad's station wagon with coal. He would get the coal for free. Then my dad bought a used coal furnace in 1969 for $50 & it heated our home until 1985. Then my sister had a new oil furnace installed. Nothing beats coal. It was hot as hell in that old house. My wife before we got married never wanted to go home.

15. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Seems like we've had more "winter" than usual down here. For the past month, highs have been in the 40's-50's and/or it's been raining. Got to the mid-60's today, took the 1K out for a romp. Next week we are supposed to get lows in the high 20's. Thankfully for only a couple days. I feel sorry for you guys up north.

On a side note, while riding today I could hear an intermittent sucking/whistling sound coming from under the gas tank area.
    Could only hear it while going slow or stopped. It would do it for a few seconds, then stop. I let it idle for a few minutes when I got home, but it didn't do it again. My initial impression is that it's cooling system related, but we shall see.

16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Temp right now here is 32 and it feels like you could ride...tonite.and tomorrow its gonna drop BIG time...and snow on top of it..

17. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

It's about 50 degrees...it will be in the teens Tuesday. I gotta go...my best bud Rick "Turtle" Marquez is on the phone...later. :hello:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

Had a great time hangin with my bud Turtle Marquez all evening! Cold front is pushing in....temps are down in the 20s. It's fixin to get colder than SH**! They said the wind chill is expected to be around -10 Monday.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The Weatherman was wrong again it was to dip to 32* last night but it only reached 54*. It is to be in the mid 70s today.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I seen it is to go to -40 in Minnesota & the schools will be closed tomorrow. I spent 3 weeks of January in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin in 1989 while working for G. E. Areospace. I never want to feel those kind of temps again.