1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

To Smoke or not to Smoke?

ARCHIVE_Bill4 Jul 20, 2004

?

Athena Gaskets, are they value for money?

1. Excellent (better than OEM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. On par with OEM

100.0%
  3. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Steer well clear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mreinh3233

mreinh3233 Well-Known Member

Way to go "Jarhead", best of luck with it, just use some of that "semper Fi" attitude and you can do it. :headbang:

Mike

2. OldZX11Rider

OldZX11Rider Member

This seems to be a dead thread but, what the hell. I quit smoking in April 2008, right after my heart attack. My doctor tried for years to get me to stop. I did, cold turkey. Now its everything I eat that's bad for me. I can't win. I quit smoking and started eating, everything! Gained about 40 pounds. Losing weight now, slowly but surly. Now when I smell a cigarette, I can't believe they smell so bad! They must not have smelled that bad 40 some years ago when I started, or I would have never started. Now, even after 5 years plus, I still have the urge and will even catch myself reaching into a shirt pocket for a cigarette. Sometimes I think if I could control it, I'd start smoking again because to be honest, I liked it. If I could smoke only 3 or 4 times a day,I'd do it, but I know as soon as I started, I'd be back up to a pack and a half or 2 packs a day. So I won't start again. It was funny though how as soon as I quit smoking, it wasn't smoking being my major health issue, but the foods I was eating. Oh well.

3. reddobie0

reddobie0 Well-Known Member

Good for you! And if you can't have cheese on your burger it's no fun. Your better off with the food problem than the smoking problem.

4. Reptar

Reptar Active Member

I was smoking on and off in high school. Right after, around the time this thread was started, I smoked about 35 a day. Now I love smoking, and have nothing against people who choose to do so, but they were slowing me down. I decided to quit, and went cold turkey in March of last year.
    I'm glad that I did, no more for me.::nono:

5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

When any long term smoker quits (myself included) and after they're away from them for awhile, they'll always admit that it's the best thing they've ever done for themselves. That is a very telling thing! :thumbsup:

6. ssbn610g

ssbn610g Well-Known Member

And after a number of years, you will stop reaching into your pocket. I truly no longer have a craving for a cigarette like I did for the first few years. Quit, best thing I ever did. :thumbsup:

Al

7. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

EVERY time I talked with our Founder he would ask if I had quit yet. I tried several times but just couldn't get it done. Well, Brother Mark, you gotta know that I am happy to report I have not smoked since 9/10/2013! Yes, I chose 9/11 as my quit day. The 11th is a memorable day for several reasons, now I can add quitting smoking to the list! I am also happy to say that Shawn, my youngest son that many of you know has also quit smoking. I think about 2 months for him, now I work on him to throw out the "dip"!

I have to give credit to ZLMark, he hounded me enough when he was with us and perhaps even more since!

I miss ya every day Brother!

Putt

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Way to go Putt.
    I just lost a friend to bladder cancer that spread to his bones, he passed on the 9th. Could have been a much longer life for him without the smoke.

9. hmt81

hmt81 Active Member

Quit cold turkey during a bad cold 4 years ago in February. The best choice I could make!:thumbsup:

10. GGabrielK

GGabrielK Active Member

Hell I just started 3 years ago when I found out my wife wanted a divorce. I stopped drinking at the same time (light beer) and needed something. Then I fell in love with the sweetest women I'd ever met, who just died last summer.

Aside from my kids, I have zero fun in life, except smoking... I'm hoping getting back into riding takes some pressure off. It's no fun losing Everything you worked years for, plus most of your future income....

Guys, I do not recommend divorce. It SUCKS having someone tell you when you can see YOUR children. She was a control freak but I'd put up with a she dragon any day to be with my kids everyday. If you can somehow work out your problems (which means you lose) but can still be with your children everyday and every night, it's worth it.

Guess I'll be smoking for a while unless my old love (ZL900) takes away the pain.

11. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Currently smoke but smoke half of what I used to. Would like to quite but wife smokes.

12. Trojan441

Trojan441 Member

I have never smoked my Grandfather was a Miner and as a Kid I use to see him fight for his breathe and be on an Oxygen cylinder! He died one month after his 65th birthday! I do not instinctively like being told what to do, pub and bars should have been given the choice, but things are sneaky and once the started the "Family pub" drive then the smoking ban followed see because now you have children in pubs too.

Here in the UK it was probably done to reduce the NHS costs and Employers the Breweries were frightened that pub Employees would take them to court over possible Lung cancer links whilst working in the bars.

Your body is like a machine, we take good care of our motorcycles, why then fill your biological body with crap?

Of course We blame the "States" for the "Wheres there's a blame there's a claim, culture, flooding over here! Sorry guys you have to stop all that **** over there, to start becoming FREE again!

13. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Freedom is an illusion. If we were free to do what we wanted to in the states we'd all kill each other. IMO cigarettes should be banned. I know some enjoy them, but some enjoy torturing puppies. Freedom is a double edged sword. Laws protect ourselves from ourselves.