1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Throttle Cable Needed

The Original Sin Apr 24, 2018

1. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

Hi everybody! I need throttle cable. I've been looking but can't find one.

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Info is here on how to have Motion Pro make you a new set. They have been gone from the dealer for years now.

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The last time I contacted MOTION PRO they told me that they no longer have the fittings for the ZL 1000 throttle cables but the ZL 9 are the same. They said that they was different. So you can do one of two things. Either tell them to use the ZL 9 fittings/hardware or send them your old cables & they will use your old fittings. I have a set of ZL 10 used cables but I'd like to hold on to them. If you have no luck getting a set made I can sell you my used set. Also another member found another vendor to make them but I don't know who it was or who the vendor was. Search the forum for the throttle cable thread. I think their is more than one.

4. The Original Sin

Thanks R.J. I'll contact motion pro and see what I can find out.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

6. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

Is there a way to prevent cable from breaking?

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The best way is to keep them lubed every 2 or 3 years.

8. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

What is the best lube?

9. markus56

I believe it's "Cable Lube"........Kaw dealer has it on the shelf .

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I use chain lube called chain wax. It lasts longer.

11. The Original Sin

Here is Motion Pro's Reply.

Hello Elwood,

Thank you for contacting Motion Pro, Inc. for your custom cable needs.

While we do not stock OE replacement throttle cables for your model, we can still custom build them for you.

However, we don’t stock the elbows at the tops of your cables going into your throttle assembly, and would need the original cables sent in as donors for the elbows.

Custom cable orders for undeveloped applications, or for use with components we have no documentation on require more labor to process and review, and as such have a higher cost that a standard +/- order based on a part number we currently or have previously offered.

The Estimated Dealer Cost to custom make your cables in standard black vinyl is USD$102.00-$127.00 for each throttle cable. Shipping charges are additional.

The current turnaround time to complete a custom cable order is 12 business days plus time allowed for shipping.

All custom cable orders are prepaid on a credit card with a no return policy unless for warranty consideration.

We do require the billing address on the card is the same as the ship to on the order and the card holder is the one placing the order.

12. The Original Sin

Holy cow! $127.00 per cable with my elbows!??? Are you using 24crt gold? That's insane!
    I'll pass.

Thanks

I made my own.

13. markus56

Yeah, they have went up since my last ones made by them......I'm thinking I paid 80 or 90 apiece a couple of years ago. I think the OEM ones were 40 each when you could still get them but have been gone for along time now. The Motion Pro cables are much better than stock ones though, much heavier built than OEM. If you could make your own, I don't understand why you didn't do that to begin with?

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Thats crazy. :banghead:. When I had them make mine 4 years ago they was $85 shipped for the set with new hardware. I guess I'l keep my used ones & sell them in 10 years to go towards my retirement fund. :laughing7:.

15. The Original Sin

Haha! I like that R.J.
    I can paint my house too...if you know what I mean ;)

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I like to paint the front & rear gate best if you get my drift. :laughing7:.