1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

this site is a WRECK.

daddywinz Jul 20, 2018

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

It's sad when an Enthusiast dies, but importantly, if they leave a "Legacy" their input and memory carries on , I have felt that the site has/ is a "Remembrance" testimony to ZL Mark which is good, but dare I say it ,perhaps some of the older stuff needs archiving into a separate section, which people can browse through if they are interested, like under Mark's Legacy, with some background information about the guy, for we all have benefited from what he started up with friends and associates!

This is why I suggested that the small 4's, 600cc down to the 400cc machines, needed a separate section, to see how it developed and grew, like a new baby/child of the site. They are a completely different prospect to the 750cc machines and above!

It is initially slightly confusing to see headlining articles from say 6-7 years ago. The focus I feel needs to be on the "New" traffic and up to date information/issues , with the other older stuff importantly included as under-pinning articles.

I am no "Website" Guru though, just looking at it through "User's eyes"!

PRfixer's input comments are for whatever reason, seemingly a personal slight on daddywinz, guess it was round the post title, but why he put it there was well explained, I feel will not/do not help bind/bond people and stuff together! Responses like that just put off others posting, commenting or having any input at all!

I have been on other Forums and I would say this is one of the "Friendliest" I have found, many UK forums are/have unfortunately become"bitchy & personal" full of "Know alls" argumentative and just Yuk! And anyone can see the hard work that has been put into it, I guess it just can be frustrating to the new user, desperate to find things out!

I have photographed everything I have done contacted the "How To" Section, somehow got crossed-wires somewhere and give up trying to make myself understood, with what I wanted to try and do, re- removing the carburettors on a ZL400 and my own little quirky tips on doing things!

I first joined in 2015 and there was a lot more users then and I understood the Sections better and perhaps the rationale behind the Lay-out.

It seems a lot of Users have gone, which is regrettable, because the ZL's are a quirky taste in themselves and because of limited manufacturing times and therefore this imposes limitations as in physical owning one, potential owners and therefore site Membership is/are hampered by small production figures, unlike say a C11G Owners Club!

A trend here also is that they ZL's are being torn apart for spares and profiteering. Bike part prices are high here in the UK, so breakers have sprung up all over the place and good machines are sadly being broken up! I know this because I check what people are listing!

Because of this spares issue and prices, theft is also increasing here in the UK and how do you get rid of a stolen machine , you part it out! My new Insurance firm is insisting over-night, my bike is garaged or the will not pay out for theft, it is not good enough to leave it locked on the drive-way overnight on a Summer's evening and they will dispute any claim in such circumstances at my Home, between the hours of 10pm -6am! Guess I better tidy up make space and repair the garage!

Moving forward is never easy, whatever the organisation is.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Just in the last 5 years we lost a lot of frequent members that would post up daily. Back to your title of this thread. Some members did take offence to it. Myself as a last resort what I do if I can't find what I'm looking for is call a member to help me out. I have over 25 members phone #s stored in my phone & phone book. They always take the time to stear me in the right direction. Then we end up talking for an hour or so. :laughing7:.

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Sometimes the exact right words do not come when you need them, so you say something similar, but it not quite what you meant to say, so to speak!

4. daddywinz

daddywinz Active Member

thanks, all, for the input.
    this post is meant to be solicitous for ideas to improve.
    i hope we gain some usage insight, and use it constructively, at some point.

anyone getting their panties in a wad over the name of this post should have a good look at their own ability to accept truth.
    i'm no ostrich, and i care about this site. you'll get truth from me.

admins have been absent from this discussion, thus far.
    i would hope that they wouldn't go forward with "fixing" the organization problems with the site until it's been properly spitballed, and mapped out in a sustainable way.

GaryD has fantastic insight.
    Archival posts are, of course, important.
    i may work on a simplified template on a Word document, which can then be discussed.

R. J. likes this.
  5. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

"900/1000 old dude" here lmfao. Serving me well, more than I could hope for... ALWAYS get a reply and if not steered in the right direction by people who KNOW this site. Love this site.

R. J. and daddywinz like this.
  6. Raf900

Raf900 Member

This site is user friendly,.any info on the zl bikes can be found here.

kvalheim, furchin and R. J. like this.
  7. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

I am new to the site, I am trying to learn the new site, not as easy as other sites, but still I think I can work with it...

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Welcome to ZL-oa. We are all here to help with any thing that you need to know or do. Just ask & you shall receiver. :notworthy:.

PTPopz813 likes this.
  9. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

Oh this is going to be a fun bike when it is done!

R. J. likes this.
  10. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Congratulations! You have begun a venture that is sure to satisfy!