1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

The #*&! bolt on the water pump!

car2nst Apr 7, 2012

1. car2nst

car2nst Active Member

I am not a hateful person, never really had the time to waste my energy on such a wasteful emotion......until now. If I ever find the guy that engineered the bolt on hard pipe leading to the water pump on an 85 zl900, I'm going to perform some unspeakable act upon his twisted, sick, pin-headed, commie, bed-wetting, 12 sandwich eating form! Really-if you ever have a leaking water pump (common prob, I'm told), then you too will experience the joy of using a double swivel quarter inch driver with a 12 inch extension to back out the bolt from the rigid pipe in a water pump. A pox on he and his family,ancestors, neighbors, friends, relatives and his pets! One day I'll find that guy-I bet he invented torx head screws too....

2. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

Feel better? Yeah I know which one you mean. A PITA.

3. vinny

vinny Senior Member

Yep - that is not good design work to place a bolt there!

4. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Always use a new o-ring and a dab of indian head gasget sealer on it myself and have not had any problems as of yet.
    Also if you get the angle right there really isnt a need for any swivel as I have never used one to remove it or reinstall. In all honesty I always felt it was way better the way it is as opposed to tryin to get a normal hose clamp up in there.

Please dont Hex me and his pets should also be spared!!!:laughing7:

5. rammy1500

rammy1500 Supporting Member

Yes the trick is to use the 1/4 inch extension and small socket to fit between the bracket. You think that is bad, we broke a bolt off in there, now that was a PITA to remove. Is anybody rebuilding the waterpumps? I ended up ordering a new one so really have two that could use rebuilt so I have spares.

6. SandstoneSmitty

SandstoneSmitty Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have spent many hours thakning that this apart and putting it back together. I turn pail, get weak in the knees, and start to pray when I see coolant on the floor: "Please Loard, do not let it be the water pump again!" So far I have been blessed...

7. car2nst

car2nst Active Member

Oh jeez...u broke the bolt?! Now I feel considerably better about working on the water pump but feel worse for you

8. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 Webmaster Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I feel your pain I always get mad when I run into situations like that...Especially when you think you are smarter than them and you a ratcheting closed end and then realize you backed it out to far to get the wrench off!

I don't think anybody here can relate, but nothing is much worse than changing a box beam shut off valve on an F-14 Tomcat. It's up in the wheel-well behind hydralic lines that you can't move because it's part of the landing gear. When you do get the access panel off to get into the fuel tank you wonder how you can fit your arm in there to even work. 3 of the four mounting bolts you can barely reach even if you are a skinny lad. You push and struggle to reach the last bolt and you arm starts to swell up...then you wonder how to get your forearm and hand back out because it feels stuck. Then when you do it stinks from stagnent fuel...Puting the new one back in is worse because the plumbing side of it has a "Wiggins" fitting...If you actually manage to hold the clamshell pieces in one hand and slide the wiggins over it you are pretty talented! Then you have to thread it together and safety wire it...sounds easy but remember you can only fit one hand barely!

Oh and don't forget the o'rings on the wiggins fitting or it will leak! Make sure somebody that works for quality assurance can witness those o'rings too or you will be taking it apart again just to show them! Aaarrrggghhh! But in some sickening way I miss these days.

[​IMG]

I remember looking like a pretzel like this guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XThEhf2lTEE

Who designs this stuff anyways?!

9. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

The bolt isnt even the worst part. It's lining up the pipe with the pump. Took me nearly an hour to realize the pump bolts should be loose so you can wiggle the pipe in exactly where it needs to be.

10. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

20181129_162446.jpg
    No more leaking oil and no coolant leaks. Water pump done.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Good job. :notworthy:. What did you end up doing. I found 2 ways to install that 10 mm bolt that holds the water pipe in the water pump. 1. Use a 10 mm bolt that also has a phillips slot using a phillips screw driver that has built in claws. 2. Use a magnetic 10 mm 1/4" drive socket which is best. IMG_6771.JPG The screwdriver on the bottom spreads out to hold the phillips screw/bolt.

12. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

I used a quarter inch magnetic 10mm with a universal swivel joint and 6 inch extension. Removing the outer water pump cover made it a breeze getting the pipe lined up and set then I set and tightened the pipe bolt, reinstalled the cover and tightened all the bolts.

R. J. likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: That is how I do it. :notworthy:.