1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Stumbled on another ZL1000

JohnH#II Nov 30, 2019 at 7:09 AM

1. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

The paint is not factory but it is nice other the the dings and failed body work on the tank. Beautiful metallic deep red. I will either go back this color or I always have liked the blue color from across the pond. Now I just need a short rear grab bar in please of the back rest or delete it totally.

Attached Files:

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Good choice on the Galaxy Cosmic Blue......that was the Ausie color and the best out of all of them I think. If I ever try something different than stock, I'd go with that too. Good luck on your new project.

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

John, be careful using the grab handles for tie down points. Those bolts holding them on are teeny.

PO did have that baby dripping with chrome!

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It would be nice to see if someone would be able to find a side cover in the galaxy cosmic blue so that it can be paint matched.

5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I tried to get Stormy to find me some original body pieces over there but he never did.

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Stormy hasn't been on the forum since early 2012.

7. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

The few blue zl1000 pictures that I have been able to find just look good on the bike. Even the non original Cosmic Galaxy Blue ones. There is a lot to do in front of paint though. Will keep y'all posted and probably ask a lot of questions.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'm not sure whos bike this is but it is one of the best looking ZL 1000s that I've ever seen. I got the pics from www.bikepics.com . bikepics-325636-full.jpg bikepics-325662-full.jpg bikepics-325659-full.jpg

JohnH#II likes this.
  9. 87kawzl

My favorite blue is the gulf racing powder blue and orange, the GT-40 themed bike. That thing looks wicked. Can't find the pic right now...

10. 87kawzl

Found that gulf bike in the YouTube video. What an eye catcher.

R. J. and JohnH#II like this.
  11. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You can go here at my bike pics account https://www.bikepics.com/members/floridarider to see different colors on ZLs to get color ideas. My bike pics U. I. D. is floridarider. Most of the ZL pics in my account are ZL-oa members.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 6:39 AM
  14. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

@JohnH#II , that red color looks exactly like my repaint on one of my 1000's. I used the '87 ZL600 red as it is a little brighter than the 1000 red.

15. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Yep, I checked this out. Thank you. A lot of nice pictures. Saw yours. I have spent hours looking on zl-oa pictures. Now I have even more ideas.

16. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

It is a beautiful red color. If I could get away with just doing the tank the other parts are in good shape. One thing that would make me keep the red is that the rims are painted to match (red) on the center rough sections. Nothing a little media blast couldn't fix but it's all holding up good too.

Attached Files:

17. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

It's been quite a while since I bought the paint but I did purchase it from Colorite. At that time they were the only authorized Kawasaki paint duplicator. Don't know if any other company may be authorized now.

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You are welcome. One color that is one of my favorites is from a 1985 Honda Goldwing done in wineberry red which is the same color as my 1983 Honda CB 650 SC Nighthawk. I do like the rims centers painted red. maxresdefault.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

JohnH#II likes this.
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Another nice red is on madmancr500 ZL 900. I seen it in person during VMD 2013. He doen't come on the forum much any more. He don't like the layout of the new site. I didn't either until I got used to it. Now I don't even remember how the old site was laid out.

20. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

did you take arbs off and clean them? Sitting worse thing for these old studs....