1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Starter clutch

BearHunter Apr 9, 2018

1. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I’m reading me and obviously I’m not very clear. Synthetic oil was in the bike since I got it last summer. I changed oil saturday for Rotella and starter slipped on monday morning. Can it be related? I mean Rotella is for sure thicker at cold temp than synthetic stuff?

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

I always use motorcycle specific semi synthetic, the oil companies add additives for wet clutch and trans gears. What weight did you use? 10-40 should flow good cold rotella or otherwise. I'd change it out, sounds much cheaper than opening it up.

3. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Rotella T4 is 15w40.

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

I'd do a fluid change and leave the filter then see how it runs.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Hard to say. At this point most likely sooner than later it will need replaced. I've been told once you go to full syn oil that you shouldn't go back to conventional oil.

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Straight from Pennzoil:
    "Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back. This is one of the most persistent myths aboutsynthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic andconventional oils."

R. J. likes this.
  7. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I just give a call to a local Kawasaki dealer. The oneway clutch assembly part number 13193-1052 is discontinued... :icon_scratch:

8. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

What should I do?

Buy a rebuild kit available from various source for about 50$?

Buy a starter clutch of another model? I think the model from the ZL1000 is also discontinued. Do you know of any other part number than can ben a drop in?

9. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Try a quick oil change and see if the symptoms persist since it started with your oil change.

10. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Yesss oïl change is planned for the next monday. I'll go back to synthetic.

11. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

If an oil change still doesn't fix the problem, the internal parts are still available for rebuilding; pins, springs and rollers.

12. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Yes I've seen. I'll probably order a kit and do it during 2 days of contunuous rain during my summer vacancies... ;)

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Go to page 2 of this post. Everything that you need to know is explained. Do not buy a rebuild kit until you inspect the outer housing of the stater clutch for cracks.

14. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Yes, I've seen that also!

15. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I did an oïl and filter change this morning. I went back to full synthetic 10W40. I took a ride to settle it and now everything is going just fine. There's absolutely no delay or hesitation. A push the start button and the starter makes the engine running.

I kept the almost new Rotella, it'll go in the lawnmower...

16. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Your trans gears will thank you too. Hope you have no more issues with it!

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Did you use motorcycle grade oil. Most automotive oils have properties that over time will deteriorate a bikes clutch fiber plates.

18. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Yes, I used a brand called Liqui Moly in 10W40 grade. It's meets JASO MA2 spécifications. The starter clutch obvioulsy have a problem because it don't works properly with mineral oïl. But instead of a 2 days rush summer repair, I'll do it during the winter... ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    R. J. likes this.
  19. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Little update on this post. May be it'll help a few. Since I went back to synthetic oil, the starter clutch is doing his job without a hitch.