1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitting the crankcase/replacing bent connecting rods.

The Original Sin Apr 19, 2019

1. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

Hi y’all, I’m looking to chat with someone who has split the crankcase on a Zl1000 and has replaced the crankshaft and or replaced bent connecting rods.

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Do you know which rod'(s) are bent? If I remember correctly if #2 or #3 is bent you do not necessarily have to split the cases. You can pull them from the oil pan side underneath. If #1 or #4 are bent then splitting the cases is required.

3. The Original Sin

Number 4. I thought about that....
    Have you ever done this scope of work?

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You will have to split the cases seeing that it is #4 rod. No, I have not personally done this but have had it done to my 1000 engine after suffering from a hydro lock. Our founder ZlMark (rip) did the work for me.

5. The Original Sin

I think I’ll just replace the engine and save the detail engine work for a cold winter’s day. Riding season is here!!!

rkerg and R. J. like this.