1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting without clutch

BearHunter May 9, 2018

1. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Who do it? I tried it tonight and I found it very efficient!

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

I think most engines transmission can function temporarily without a clutch, though it is vital for moving off! Once on a roll/ moving, the best situation is when the engine RPM is just right to drop into gear. However, the clutch gives the engine and transmission a temporary break from one another, (a breather), and its definitely there to allow smoother, safer, gear changes and cool the friction plates momentarily too! On a motorcycle not having the greater stability of 4 wheels, it allows a smoother transition of movement. Finally, clutch plates are relatively inexpensive against transmission rebuilds, if something goes horribly wrong!

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Once in awhile I find myself shifting without the clutch. Why I don't know but the big ZLs do do it well. :notworthy:. You ever do any power shifting. It's when you hold the throttle wide open & don't let up on the throttle while banging through the gears. It excites me. :laughing7:.

DirtyRider likes this.
  4. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Yessss roll the throttle and just before shift point, put a bit of pressure with your feet under the peg. Shut the throttle and the gear will engage without a bit of noise or resistance. Then roll it again. This can be done real fast.

If my gauge is the absence of « clunk », clutchless shifting is the way to go.

5. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

I presume you are talking about changing up with no clutch. Changing down using the clutch, always taught to pull in the clutch lever, blip the twist grip to rev the engine so as to get the engine spinning faster to match the transmissions increased gear speeds with a down-change! Probably this no-clutch use is the perogative of a bigger torquier engine, running at slower engine speeds, but having more mass in its internal components. I wouldn't like to try it on the Buzz-box 400/4!
    I suppose its almost like a synchronicity, just perfect at one particular point in engine transmission function!

6. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Ride it like having DCT...:laughing7:

7. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is those times when the shift is attempted and the timing is off you put a great deal of stress on your tranny. I used to have an old Chevy pickup that you could shift smooth as glass if you timed it right, but I've not been able to achieve that with any of my bikes. IMO when it works, you are lucky. When it doesn't you are beating the snots out of your trans for no reason. A basic rule of thumb here is that if it worked, why doesn't everyone do it?

8. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

9. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Sounds like the main advantage is for racing. All I'll add is it is all good fun until you break something. Then as you push it down the road you can reflect on why you didn't just pull in the damned clutch.....LOL

Hey, it's your bike, do what you want, but I think the clutch is a cushion against less than perfect shifts. It keeps your gears from engaging violently, which I suspect is going to happen once in awhile. I like my bike and don't want to break it. Especially over something silly like this. Once more I'll state the obvious. If this was a good idea, how come everybody doesn't do it?

R. J., kvalheim and Harriminator like this.
  10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

I feel the same way. :notworthy:. In the back of my mind I vision tranny parts flying everywhere. :laughing7:.

11. JohnP

JohnP Active Member

In the days when I was drag racing my ZL1000 I used an air powered shift mechanism. Hooked it up to the horn button, a press of the button would temporarily cut the ignition for a split second, fire off the air cylinder that was linked to the shift arm and it worked great, no need to back off the throttle or pull the clutch. Made hundreds of passes on the drag strip with that. Something like http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/as01.asp

DirtyRider and BearHunter like this.
  12. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

I saw an episode of west coast choppers that was a disaster that the customer walked out on. Jesse took that thing out and was just beating the **** out of the gears. It was comical.

13. basket case

basket case Well-Known Member

The engineering dept called.... They were wondering if they should ramp up replacement parts at the plant(lol)
    Floating the gears can be done but you need to know your bike and its precise shift point or bent shift forks and itty bitty gear chunks are on the menu.
    Yes I used to do it. A quick pull on the clutch lever doesn't take much effort tho.

markus56 and R. J. like this.
  14. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Up shifting without the clutch is simple and awesome. No clash or noise or issues.

15. jdubay

jdubay Active Member

16. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

If ever a piece of transmission breaks off and flies either straight away of at some later point into the gear cluster u better quickly learn how to use the clutch in this instance!n Yes engine scan be changed in safety without the clutch but the rpm has to be spot on, unless the manufacturer has built in some additional strengthening or other mechanism. Personally I feel on a standard unmodified machine, due to the possibility/probability of damage it not a worthwhile pursuit, when you factor in a strip-down, rebuild and possible costs! There is often is a price to pay for extra excitement!

17. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

well folks been power shifting my zl,s since 1985 and haven’t had any trans related problems with any to date.

The gears are synced and will fall effortlessly to the next gear with a slight blip of the throttle but just as you create damage when you use the clutch and don’t fully engage the next gear, not engaging the next gear completely while power shifting can be a bit worse for things.

Most bikes built today and most since the mid to late 80’s will have no problem being power shifted up but I would never recommend a bike be down shifted without the clutch

18. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

:yeahthat:
    Just need to drop the load off the engine a bit with the throttle and make a positive upshift, no clutch required. Works at lower rpms as well as high rpms. Slips right into the next gear with a firm shift, don't get lazy or it will find neutral or want to grind some very expensive parts.

Holding WOT and banging the next gear using the clutch a bit is always what I've considered power shifting. The idea there is to keep the rpms up.

Either way, it's not as smooth for just cruising the streets, clutches tends to whiplash a passenger a bit more than normal upshifts.

19. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

When I'm trying to kick it in the a$$ and shift with the clutch (1-2 especially) it will find neutral without me realizing. Snap the clutch back out and nail the throttle hard. You see the tach needle bounce off of 12k. If I crack 1st and load the shifter up and take it to 10-10.5k slight rock off the throttle and it snaps into 2nd without ANY issue.