1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Ignition Switch

genefrost_zl900 Jun 17, 2015

1. genefrost_zl900

genefrost_zl900 Active Member

So my oldest boy seems to have lost my keys to my 85 ZL900. I got a new ignition switch off ebay that showed up yesterday but wondering if anyone on the forum has any tips or suggestions on how to replace. I obviously can't get my seat open either... The plan is to take my ignition switch to a Locksmith once it's off the bike so I can get keys made and put it back on the bike but for now I need to get it off and use the new switch in the mean time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Remove the headlamp, unplug the switch inside the bucket(and probably the other connections as well), remove or move out of the way the headlight bucket, and the switch is held from the bottom by 2 allen bolts. You also have to remove the ignition switch cover which is held on by 2 phillips screws from underneath.

3. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

If you take your old ign switch to a lock smith they can make you a new set and then it will be like you never lost them......I know I lost mine.....:banghead:

4. genefrost_zl900

genefrost_zl900 Active Member

And to remove the headlamp you unscrew the two bottom phillips screws on the bottom of the headlamp bucket? Is that correct... yes I've had the bike since 92 and never had to replace it... knock on wood.

Thanks guys!

5. wideguy

wideguy Member

Gene, I've removed a few ignition switches. Every one was intentionally somewhat difficult to remove, and all needed at least one tool you probably don't have.
    Locksmiths will come to you, which may be cheaper in the long run unless you've some mechanical skill.
    The headlight bucket is completely in the way. When you dismount it, try to just move it out of the way, because putting the wires back correctly can be tricky, and is always a PITA.

I can't imagine not having a spare set of keys... What are you going to do with the unit you bought on e-bay?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You can trailer/truck your bike to a lock smith & they will cut a new key. I have 7 keys for my ZL. :laughing7:

7. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

^^^ did you trailer it 7 times?

8. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:yeahthat::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: Poor RJ :laughing7: WERE ARE MY KEYS....camera ,,,,sunglasses .....phone......were did I park my bike:pk:

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I have never lost a set of bike keys. One time I lost a set of keys to a sport quad I was working on. I spent $45 to have a key made for it & 3 months later I found the ones I lost in my wife's crock pot. :laughing7:

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I removed my ignition switch from my ZL 10 to take it apart for cleaning. When I tried to open it up one of the slots/tabs on the plastic housing cracked so I just sprayed brake parts cleaner in the small holes & checked it for loose/broken wires. It makes a sold contact in all positions. My problem is when turning the key to the on position some times I need to turn it counter clockwise just a hair in order to get power to the bike. Again I have no play or weakmess in all the positions. Also now the back side black cover does not snap on as tight as before so I put a piece of black electrical tape on it to hold it in place until I slid it under the stay tab on the medel housing. So how do I go about taking it apart with out screwing up the plastic housing. IMG_5496.JPG

11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

All of the crud builds up on the contact side of that plastic piece that you cracked. contact cleaner won't fix it for ya. I use a brass brush to clean things like that up. If I remember correctly there are springs and balls that can get lost easily, take it all apart and clean thoroughly. Put a very light coat of dielectric grease on the contacts and button it back up. I really like gorilla glue, in this case I'd use the gorilla super glue you may want to glue the plastic to aluminum if it's real buggered up.

12. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, those things take a bit of finese to get apart without breaking. I agree with the above post and glue it together when you go back with it. The next time you have to take it apart, you can have a good one from an old switch ready to replace it with. Kaw don't sell them without the switch.

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: So what you are saying is just break it open. How do I go about without breaking it.

14. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

There's tabs but it takes a gentle hand to pop it without damaging the plastic.

15. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yep, GENTLE persuasion!

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Does anyone have one for sale.

17. markus56

Keep an eye on E-Bay, they do come up once in a while. I'll check my stash for an extra one and get back with you.

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Thank's: :notworthy:. I don't need the top section that the key goes into just the plastic section.

19. markus56

I have the switch out of my last parts bike dug out and ready to send you R.J. The plastic switch on the bottom looks good but I'm sending you the whole switch so you can take it apart. Send me your info and I'll get it headed your way. Thanks for all you do for us here Brother! Just pay shipping and it's yours'......can't beat that!

R. J. and kvalheim like this.
  20. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Markus thank's a million. I'll need your paypal info.