1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Remodeling

R. J. Jan 27, 2014

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'm replacing all my interior hallow doors which is 10 total with 6 panel sold wood doors. I have 2 ready to go up. I also did more trim.

Attached Files:

2. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

It all looks great RJ

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thank's. I'm putting up the kitchen back splash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Ready for grout. It only took 3 weeks for my wife to decide on going with the very first back splash design & only a week on what color grout to go with which is unsanded French Vanilla. I installed the switch plate covers for proper fitment & will remove them before the grout is applied.

Attached Files:

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: We finished our Kitchen about 3 weeks ago. Total cost $11,220. Cabinets around $6,400, counter tops about $2,400. Tile around $300, back splash $300. Under mount sink faucets, ceiling fan & lighting $650. Apex reverse osmosis system $400. Doors & trim $300. Ceiling & wall texture $150. Paint & primer $200. Electrical outlet, switches & oak plates $120.

Attached Files:

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Last week I installed 8 new LED shop lights in my garage. They was $35 each. It took me about 4 hours for installation. I hung them from the ceiling using 1/4 " SS eye hooks. They use less than half the power of the 104 watt shop lights that I was using & are twice as bright. Now I can see what I'm doing.

Attached Files:

7. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

Awesome lights!! What make/model? I'll be need some for my garage. Now you'll be able to see where you've put your sunglasses!

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Not sure on the brand or manufacture. I bought then from B Js hole sale club. I've never seen them in any other store. I'll find out the information when I get a chance.

9. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Garage, I don't think so. That's more of a storage facility. With what I see in there you would never get a vehicle in there and if you did you would probably find those sun glasses when a tire runs over them.:pk::pk::laughing7::laughing7:

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It presently houses 5. I'll be building a 24'x36' detached garage in 2020. :laughing7:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  11. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Here is a coffee table I just built. Girlfriend wanted a shadow box style that looked like a window frame. I matched the stain to look like my other furniture. You can see I got pretty close to my stereo cabinet that I bought.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  12. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

The grid work I joined with half lap joints and I hand chiseled the face frame to lay the grid work into it.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Looks good. :notworthy:

14. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Here is the strip of drywall I cut out to run more outlets. The new outlets are on a new circuit. I then put the pieces back in. Right now it's just about ready for paint. Garage door broke a spring so I replaced both myself. The opener was bad so I replaced it as well. Put up a lift master 8500. It's an awesome opener.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I did the same thing in our new Kitchen. We now have twice the outlets. Just for the fun off it I contacted an Electrician he wanted a $1000 to do it & that did not include drywall work. The guys that measured & fitted out quarts counter tops couldn't believe that I done all the work myself. When they used a lazier to check our lower cabinets they was dead nuts level. :laughing7:

16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

People who do their own stuff and take pride in it tend to do better work than a lot of pros.

R. J. likes this.
  17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: All's they are interested in is getting in & out as quick as they can. Also they take short cuts. A friend of mine asked me to come look at an electrical problem she was having. All's her problem was a shorted outlet kept tripping a breaker. Also some of the grounds wasn't connected to each other & at her electrical panel most of the grounds needed snugged down. Then I noticed her earth ground was rusted. I reached down & pulled the rod right out of the ground. The grounding rod was a 2 ft piece of rebar. I installed a new 8 ft copper rod, new grounding wire & connectors. I spent the entire day at her house. She asked me how much for my time. I told her nothing that I was glad to help her out. She did treat me to lunch & topped off my tank.

markus56 likes this.
  18. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

When my garage door spring (torsion) broke people told me I need to call a door company. I have several trucks at work with roll up torsion spring doors. I have done a ton of them. I looked on line and there were a few places local here that did garage doors. They wouldn't sell me any springs as they said that would require a service call. I said ok I will let you know. I found, of all places, a place on ebay that I ordered springs from. 2 springs delivered to my door was $68 and they arrived in two days. I won't pay someone to do things for me that I can do myself. I enjoy it.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Of all places ACE Hardware sells garage door springs & the tool to adjust the tension.

20. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Good to know...I wasn't aware.