1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Remodeling

R. J. Jan 27, 2014

1. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  2. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Couple more pics.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:. Did you install any kind of air filtering system along with a water catch bottle.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You've got it goin' on in there Bill.....Nice Job!!!!

R. J. likes this.
  5. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Thanks guys..

RJ. No I haven't put any filtering on it. I do have a drain on the bottom for draining the tank. Honestly I do not use air for much. I have switched over to battery impacts and ratchets. The majority of my air usage is a brad nailer, airing tires and blowing off dust. When not in use it can go months without dropping any pressure. I put two bulkhead fittings in and those attach to the compressor thru 36" hoses on the inside of the room to the full air out and the regulated air out. They have quick couplers so if I need to move it out I just disconnect the two lines, unplug and roll. It's a 33 gal oiless compressor. If my air needs were more significant I would have a completely different set up.

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

The room looks great. I just picked up a 20 gal oil less compressor at the sears that's closing near me. It's nice and quiet compared to my big one. Looks like the work bench is more of a drawer cabinet. You making any place to work at the bench while on a stool? It's nice to be able to sit close to the work surface.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: My 60 gal is set up for painting so the filter & water catch system is needed for painting.

8. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

The workshop is mainly going to be a place to organize and store my tools and supplies. I will do small woodworking projects and tinker on the bikes. I am a mechanic by trade so I am so used to having my stuff in tool boxes that I love the idea of all the banks of drawers. I am in the process of clear finishing all the interiors of the drawers and then onto installing the slides onto them and getting them in the cases. I still have not decided on finished drawer fronts yet. I am making the drawers all of the inset design. I also need to decide on drawer and cabinet knobs. My goal is to have a nice clean finished look to the space. I do not want any open shelving for appearance reasons plus keeping everything closed off as much as possible from sawdust. I plan on putting the miter saw in between the benches and making the top of it level with the workbench top and adding removable fences to either side. When the miter saw isn't being used it will be stored underneath and my table top drill press will be there. The compressor closet will be vented and allowed to breath without that being shared with the inside of the workshop. Keeping the compressor noise to a minimum.

I am going to completely redo my table saw and router table and make them one unit that I can roll around. I do not park any cars in the garage but in the event of needing to work on one I want to be able to roll the woodworking stuff out of the way. I plan to make a break down bench for the wood projects that can double as an out feed table for the table saw. Lots and lots to do yet.

R. J. likes this.
  9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Sounds like you're putting alot of thought into how to do it to your liking and what you need. I'll have to make a trip this summer and check it out!

10. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

I've been thinking about it for a long time. I change my mind on stuff a lot. As I go I think and rethink. Originally I was gonna build the compressor room as about a 36"x36" square and about 6' high and just fab a door up. I wasn't sure how long I was gonna make the work benches. I knew once the compressor room was established I could figure that out. Ended up with each bench at 6.5' long. It all kinda unfolds as I do it. It's a big stress relief tho. I get off work and work out there. Work is major stress. Garage is relaxed fun.

R. J. and markus56 like this.
  11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I agree that house projects are a great stress reliever. I've been working on a similar work space in the basement. Ever organize after years of chaos then can't find what you are looking for? I'm bringing home the P-touch label maker from work!

12. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

I am hoping to organize after 10 years of having stuff scattered and in random unmarked boxes lol

One of my biggest pains in the neck is knowing full well I have something for a project because I bought it last project. I put it in a place as to not forget where it is. I just cannot remember that place. After an hour of looking I give up and go re-buy. A week later I will be looking for something else and boom. There is the item(s) I was looking for. I think "now I know where it is I will remember next time" NOT. I have 4-5 staple guns just because of this fact.

13. markus56

Been there and done that and yes, it's very frustrating! LOL

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I do it all the time. Look for an hour or two then head to Lows come home & boom it's right in plain sight. :laughing7:. I misplaced some 250 Eliminator parts months ago. I ordered a complete set of used OEM coolant hoses $18 shipped. So I started organizing today & marking boxes looking everywhere for a bunch of lost parts. I found them all in a Craftsman soft took pouch along with the hoses. Again they was in plain sight.

15. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Good job Bill. Coming along nicely. Going to put in a sound system?

16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Probably. You know me lol

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Bill you put a lot of thought & care into your projects. :notworthy:. You need to take a few weeks off of work & come to FL. Bring your ZL 10 & help me re-do my garage. :laughing7:.

18. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

That would be cool RJ

Thanks...Sometimes I may overthink things.

Bill

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You are welcome. :notworthy:. Since I've worked in the Electronics Field I'm always over thinking things. :laughing7:.

20. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg UPDATE:

Well I ran into problems with fitment of my initial 20 drawers I built. The problem was basically with the framing of the left side workbench. I got that straightened out. There were inconsistencies in the framing just because it's rough 2x4 material. So I built 4 insert boxes that were perfect and identical. I placed the drawer slides in them before putting them into the frames. I changed the drawer configuration and went with 18 instead of the original 20. A good friend of mine recommended using UV coated birch plywood as a material since he himself uses it a lot. The UV coating is basically a very heavy clear finish. Plywood is a good material because it's very consistent in its thickness and it won't easily warp, cup or twist like the original 1x material I used the first time. I decided to use locking rabbit joints on the drawer fronts and backs.

The compressor room is basically done. I used two bulkhead fittings on the wall. I can swap the hose reel supply from one to the other. One is regulated air and the other is full pressure. If I want to move the compressor out I just unhook and roll out. Outlet strip on the one wall will get all my battery chargers plugged into it. I have to build a shelf for all the chargers. I decided to put a vent fan in the top and an additional open pipe to allow flow. I put an LED light in top and a switch for the light and the fan. It all worked out very well. I started working on the center portion for my miter saw. Compartment below will house a shop vac for dust collection.

R. J. likes this.