1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding 86 zl900

James NeeSmith Nov 7, 2019

1. James NeeSmith

James NeeSmith New Member

20191013_115100.jpg 20191021_211841.jpg 20191102_184733.jpg
    A buddys dad had this bike sitting outside for the last 8 years. About a month ago i finally talked him out of the bike. He just gave it to me for free. I have decided to tear it completely down fix everything on the bike. She will also be getting a very sexy metallic copper paint job when i get that far into it. 20191013_115100.jpg 20191021_211841.jpg 20191102_184733.jpg

R. J. likes this.
  2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Welcome to ZL-oa. Let us know if you need anything.

3. James NeeSmith

Thank you. I will definitely be in need of some help as i get a little farther along. There are some parts i know i will need. And any advice or info is welcome. This is my first bike rebuild to this extent.

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Welcome! Quite a nice gift.
    Hope you took lots of pictures during the teardown. You are going to want to download the manual.
    What happened that had it sitting for so long?

5. James NeeSmith

He said that the starter went out on it. And yes lots of pictures. And i downloaded the manuals already

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

There are important upgrades done to that motor over the years and you'll want to incorporate them. The starter clutch and 6 link alternator chain and sprockets are just a couple of the main ones. There are also oil mods you can do to the motor to make it more reliable too. We have lots of parts......I've got a garage full so hollar if you need anything.

R. J. likes this.
  7. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Welcome to ZL-OA. Nice to see you are rebuilding the zl9 and not parting it out. You will enjoy riding it when you're done. I look forward to the progress. Oh... and we like pictures.

8. James NeeSmith

I know i will need a starter and throttle and brake cables. My cables are rusted and busted. If you could help or point me in the right direction that would be sweet. Its not real easy to find parts for this thing

9. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Cables are fairly easy. I have change all of my old bikes brake hoses to braided lines. Look around to web. Maybe try mcmcycleparts.com or other parts houses. The members here will be the best ref and help.

10. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Nice score on the free bike. I did a total teardown on one of my bikes many years ago. It is very rewarding to see it come back together. Good luck on your project!

11. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Yes, good to see another ZL saved!

12. James NeeSmith

20191108_214028.jpg
    Just a little sneak peak of the progress so far.

R. J. likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice work bench. :notworthy:. At first I didn't know what it was. I never thought of painting chrome side covers. Hope the paint holds up well. I've never had good luck painting plastic parts.

JohnH#II likes this.
  14. James NeeSmith

Took alot of prep work to get it paintable. But i hate chrome so im trying to get rid of as much as i can

15. James NeeSmith

Screenshot_20191109-104710_Chrome.jpg
    This is the color i plan to paint the bike.

JohnH#II likes this.
  16. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Removing chrome from plastic can be fairly easy depends on the quality of the way it was put on. I have used Easy Off oven cleaner. Just have to understand that stuff can be dangerous. You have to watch it as it can destroy your part and your skin. Lesser grade plastic chrome could be removed with a soak in Purple Power.

Your parts look good. I might have to drive to Wilmington one day to see your progress and your work bench.

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    I hate polishing aluminum parts that's why I did it all in gloss black powder coat on my ZL 10. IMG_7943.JPG

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    That copper color looks close to Topaz orange which is the color of my 1974 Honda XL 70 K0. The paint is somewhat faded. It's only 46 years old. IMG_6686.JPG

19. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

The dark gray oxide layer on aluminum surfaces can be as hard as the sandpaper you use to remove it. Only thing harder is diamond. Aluminum oxide, whether it's natural, anodized or used on sandpaper, has a hardness of 9 and diamond is 10. Bare aluminum is only 3.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    R. J. likes this.
  20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Do you mean the factoy clear coat.