1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

R. J. ZL 1000 New Paint

R. J. Mar 8, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I picked up my newly painted tank, fenders & side covers this past Monday from my painter John Kelly. They was done with color coat clear coat PPG 2 stage paint. Cost $350. The paint was lifting under the dog house. So I popped the bubbles & peeled the old paint back to check for rust. It spread like cancer. I literally peeled the paint off in sheets. It was single paint not original. Well the bike is down to the frame I also did some preventive maintenance. I replaced 12 or so connectors with OEM style ones. Wrapped some of the wiring harness with new electrical tape I cleaned up the frame & other parts that can not be reached when the bike is together. Mounted my OEM case guards which I got for free & powder coated for free. I also mounted my new highway pegs. I put Evaporust in the fuel tank today. Tomorrow I'll drain it & put the tank back together along with the rest of the bike. Installed 4 new NGK spark plugs & one new OEM spark plug boot. The other 3 was replaced around 2 years ago. Also I installed the throttle cables that I bought from MARKUS. Again thanks Mark. :notworthy:. IMG_7048.JPG IMG_7044.JPG IMG_7032.JPG IMG_7033.JPG IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7046.JPG IMG_7031.JPG IMG_7042.JPG IMG_7043.JPG IMG_7036.JPG IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7038.JPG IMG_7039.JPG IMG_7040.JPG IMG_7035.JPG IMG_7034.JPG

wuputt, Fern and kvalheim like this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Looking good, the doghouse, you didn't paint it too?

Do you run the factory doghouse gasket against the tank?

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Did you air test the area where the doghouse meets the tank? That's the area that's been giving me fits and has alot of leaks. Not even sure I can get to it all under that lower bracket.

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes the dog house was painted to & I'm using the OEM gasket that goes between the fuel tank & the dog house. Mark I'm not really sure what you mean by air testing. Is it that the bracket that goes around the fuel tanks filler hole thats attached/welded to the tank can develope leaks. IMG_7052.JPG IMG_7053.JPG IMG_7049.JPG IMG_7050.JPG IMG_7051.JPG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    wuputt likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: John hung my fuel tank when he painted it so he also shot the under side for me. :notworthy:. IMG_7055.JPG

6. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Paint job looks real good RJ, super shiny. Plus, great price. I like how you mounted the license plate above the tail light, like on the 900. I helped my brother do that to his 1000 way back when. The LED's for the license plate lighting is a nice touch.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thanks FERN. I would of had my painted parts back 3 weeks ago but John was sick for 2 weeks. He was backed up at work & couldn't shoot my bike parts when I thought they was going to be done. The P.O. mouted the plate above the fender. He drilled into the sissy bar to mount it. He gave me an extra sissy bar & the lower inner fender when he sold me the bike. The LED plate lights are really bright. They came with like 25 feet of heavy duty wire. :laughing7:. Must of meant to be for a car. Today I put the rear tire/rim/drive shaft on, dressed out some more wires, drained the coolant, pulled the water pump to repalce the oil seal & did some buffing. I was hoping to be done today. I needed a new battery & went to my powder coat guy to pick up some parts. So that shot half my day. Hope to be done tomorrow.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My fuel tank had loose rust in it. This time I left the Evaporust in it for about 40 hours or so. After draining it I blew air through it for about 5 minutes. I scoped the inside with my new cell phone using my plug in cell phone scope. Fuel tank is now 100 % rust free. I broke a tab off my air box. Does anyone have a really good used one with good tabs that they can sell me. Thanks.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah R.J., I'm talking about that area you mentioned as mine has developed several leaks in that area. I'm not even sure it can be fixed now and if it is, that lower bracket that the two doghouse screws go into will have to come off at a minimum and then get welded back on. I'm on the hunt for a good tank.

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My dog house tank mount seems to be just fine. I think over the years over filling the fuel tank & gas getting between the dog house rubber & paint caused the lifting of the paint. I have a tank but it needs much work. First thing I'm going to do is Evaporust it to see if it develops any holes/leaks. Then I'm going strip it down to the bare metal prime it then get my dent repair guy to take out all the dents with out using body filler. Also the 2 front mounting brackets under the tank my need to be welded. If not I'm going to get my friend Darcy D. to weld it anyway just for the sake of having peace of mind. :laughing7:. The spare fuel tank was given to me & Darcy will weld it for me for free. The dent repair guy wants $160 to take out all the dents & John my painter wants. $150 to paint it. If it comes out premo most likely I'll keep it but if push comes to shove I'll sell it. :laughing7:.

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My rubber gromets for the side covers was looking shabby (Not the ones for the chrome air box covers). I found direct replacement at LOWS. Also I found exat replacements for the 3 fuel tank dampers which also are used on the fear fenders 4 mounting points also from LOWS. :notworthy:. IMG_7056.JPG IMG_7057.JPG

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I found some contaminants in my fuel tanks paint so I wet sanded them out with 3000 grit sand paper then buffed out the intire tank. I still need to do the front fender & side covers. I have not looked at them closely as of yet. I won't be done with my bike until tomorrow. IMG_7059.JPG IMG_7060.JPG IMG_7061.JPG

kvalheim likes this.
  13. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

Sounds like you had a busy Saturday getting the bike ready. The bike will be looking and running very puurdy soon.

Good find on the rubber grommets at Lowes. I might have to take a look there for some. My kz has a missing grommet on one of the side covers. Might replace the rest of the grommets too as they are dry rotted.

14. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Bike will be looking great for your upcoming crawl. Nice find on the grommets.

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: LOWS has a good assortment of rubber grommets. They was all mixed up. I bought all that they had in post # 11. When you go to LOWS take your old grommets with you. HOME DEPOT also sells rubber grommets.

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My lights was flickering on & off. I found several loose wires in the connectors of the head light bucket so I replaced all the male & female single connectors with OEM style ones. Most wasn't. Also I extended most of the wires with correct color coding. I soldered all connections. IMG_7062.JPG IMG_7063.JPG IMG_7064.JPG

17. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Looking good RJ!

R. J. likes this.
  18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thanks Jeff. :notworthy:. IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7233.JPG

Fern likes this.
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: IMG_7231.JPG IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7234.JPG IMG_7235.JPG IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7237.JPG IMG_7238.JPG IMG_7239.JPG IMG_7240.JPG IMG_7242.JPG IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG IMG_7245.JPG IMG_7246.JPG IMG_7247.JPG IMG_7250.JPG IMG_7251.JPG

wuputt likes this.
  20. Fern

Fern Supporting Member

The blacked out fender and bottom forks compliment the rest of the black theme. Looks real nice, RJ.

kvalheim and R. J. like this.