1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for Dale Walker

Guest Aug 17, 2007

Tags:
  1. DaleWalker

DaleWalker Eliminator Legend

Hi Kawboy

Yes, here you see my pro mod Suzuki that has not been run since I finished it in 2002 & my 80s era Superbike named Frankenzuki

Cool beans

Dale :thumbsup:

pro mod- franki.JPG pro mod.JPG

2. DaleWalker

Frankenzuki a couple years ago & my 05 GSX-R 750 track bike I just sold s few months back

Have a good day , back to work now

DW

:thumbsup: Laguna Dale track photo 3-17-09.jpg dale-turn2-FRANKIE.JPG

3. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

what was your fastest e.t. ever and what kind of bike was it?

4. DaleWalker

Thats would be my 9" tire Pro Mod bike back in 1994 &1995 ........... 7.30s @ 182 mph

The 9" tire rule was a neat deal and it became a real tuners class back then out here on the west coast

Ive run over 184 mph a couple times on turbo bikes way back in the late 80s, but with a slower ET.

My current pro mod bike has the good to run 6.70s over 200..... but most of the racing and decent tracks are gone out here so its just here nice to look at and remind me of my past life red........ lol

Cheers D :thumbsup:

5. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

Do you have any idea what kind of baseline jetting (maybe a little on the rich side) I might want to start with on a 1262cc "J" motor Wiseco kit? If not can you recommend someone that might? Or someone that offers a kit? Thanks in advance...your fan always, D White :thumbsup: (DW)

6. DaleWalker

Really depends on what carbs you plan to run, but if you use Mikuni flat slides they come with 3 sets of jets and needles that are fairly close to at least get you going. Then you would need to tune it in from there depending on the engine combo

Cheers Dale :hello:

7. HilbillyRokstar

Thanks for the quick response...any idea on where the best place might be to purchase those babies?...also I have seen guys running the stock carbs from an ltd/kz 1100 (my bike is an 84 ltd)...would/could those work decently, if properly jetted? Also...how much better do the older gen heads flow? Keep in mind...I am looking for a cost effective muscle bike...not a full on drag bike-1/4 mile king... Your fan...DW

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. DaleWalker

For the motor your talking about here I think your much better off with a set of Mikuni flat slides, either 36mm or 38mm. I would check out Sudco for pricing on a new set, then give me the part number and I could see what I could do for you. I dont normally sell carbs, but I do deal with Sudco for all my jets, so I could order a set. The other option is to find a good clean used set on a forum or ebay. But you know how that can go so you have to be careful what you buy

The J model head with mild porting and a good valve job works pretty decent

Got to run now and may not be able to be back until next week ?

Cheers Dale :thumbsup:

9. 1 red zl9

next batch you send out let me know and i'll get a set in the polished steel if it's not a problem for you, thanks, dave. :thumbsup:

10. DaleWalker

Please send me this in an e mail ok red zl

dlwalker@holeshot.com

That way I can keep it as a reminder

Also include your name, address and phone number

Cheers DW

11. 1 red zl9

10-4 dale. :thumbsup:

12. Rune

Rune Member

Hi Dale. What are your feelings about mounting a turbo on a ZL 1000? With carburators and a power outtake about 200-250 hp. Will the shaft drive take this power? I have a friend with a 1978 Z1000 with Turbo and 248 Dyno HP. His bike is on road and he was driving her 10.000 Km/year in the golden years and it now has a total of 75.000 Km with no problems. The same should be possible with a ZL 1000, but then its the shaft drive...?
    At least it will be an exciting project? Or? It will require much custom work, but should be possible to keep the mufflers and build it so its difficult to see the modifications. Will the clutch take this power and will i find a cluch that do?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  13. DaleWalker

Hi Rune

I bet the shaft drive will take it as far as roll ons and not over doing it from a dead stop. You would want to run low boost levels though, and most likley do the Mr Turbo oiling mod for the bottom end. It has a pretty good clutch, so all I would try would be HD springs at first.

Got to run

14. HilbillyRokstar

I just want to chime in here and say there are guys running turbo Vmaxes with 300 hp and no problems with the drive shaft on those bikes.:thumbsup:

15. DaleWalker

Not all, Ive seen guys break V Max drive shafts also, but a turbo application is pretty gentle on parts for the power you can make

DW :thumbsup:

16. HilbillyRokstar

I was generalizing. I realize shafts can and do break. I was mearly illustrating the fact that they can take a substantial amount of hp and torque.

17. DaleWalker

Yep they sure can handle allot, its mostly the shock load with to much traction that can snap one HB

DW :thumbsup:

18. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

Dale....with that being said, would it be in our best interest to replace the rubber "gasket" inside the wheel housing? It being almost 30 years old, you know it's got to be stiffer than new....so if they do get brittle, I don't know if they do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Going to MIR this weekend...my bro is running this.....notice the insane turbo, left lower side....

IMG_20130625_112408_036.jpg IMG_20130625_112322_175.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  19. DaleWalker

Looks like a bad ass funny bike to me Scooby

I would pull the rear wheel off and inspect the rubber cushions. If they are shot or breaking apart replace them. But like you said they are really old, so not a bad Idea anyway if they are still available

20. Stan

Stan Member

'I own an 1986 zl600 runs good. But have one issue. Seems around 6000rpm it wants to pop,or hickup ,but runs fine besides that does it in any gear any help is appreciated