1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for Dale Walker

Guest Aug 17, 2007

Tags:
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

ZL 900 For Sale

1985 Eliminator for sale. This bike is stock except for K/N air filter and Progressive springs. Carbs have been ultrasonic cleaned and synched, and valves recently adjusted. Always adult owned and garage kept. 39k miles,asking 2900.00 or would consider trade,, ZRX1100,1200 or CB1000. THANKS Kevin

2. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

Kevin,
    Welcome to KERA! Where are you located? Got any Pics? You need lots of pics with close detail. Also need a much more detailed description of any defects. How many owners n stuff.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Wuputt, I am located in far western KY. This bike was a one owner until about three months ago.. It was stored for about 2 years until I bought it from the original owner.. I also rebuilt the calipers, both brake masters, and it has a new battery.. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how. THANKS

4. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

Hey Kevin, I think the only way you can post pics on this site is to have a photoshop acct. you can then copy the url in the forum herelike this

copy url here

Come over to zl-oa site, you can become a member, we have a active gallery there.
    Here is the link, look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.zl-oa.com/index.php

5. ARCHIVE_zlMark

ARCHIVE_zlMark Guest

6. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

This is the spot to post up your queries for Dale....Now let's keep in mind that he is doing us a favor by being here, and not all pile on at once...Let's post up a few and see where that takes us, as he will not be on every day.
    Behave yourselves.
    Thanks Dale for your time!!!
    moab...

7. DaleWalker

DaleWalker Eliminator Legend

Dale says Hello

Your welcome and good idea about this thread moab

Im getting a few things togehter for you at this time, but really gots to dig

Its been whlie ....... he he

I will check back in here

Cheers Dale :happy1:

8. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Great Idea!

Welcome Dale!(again!)

Glad to see you made it in here. I'm really exited to have you here. Let's get this thread rolling!

I wanted to talk about slide drilling. I don't know if your kit requires this and what are the advantages?

9. vinny

vinny Senior Member

Welcome Dale :D

Reading Andrew's report back from your discussion, just thought -
    as the ZL motor appears to be prone to heat issues - would fitting an OIL COOLER be a good solution ?
    I know Dale recommends Engine Ice , but would appreciate his thoughts on this.
    Vin

10. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

Hey alottery system for asking questions would be a good idea...Well lookie there I drew # 3, guess that means I get the next question :D

11. vinny

vinny Senior Member

Hey Mark / MOAB,
    we can't have Dale Walker with TRAINING WHEELS ! :nonono:
    Maybe ANTI-WHEELIE BARS or GOD would better suit his ranking !
    :dancingfool:

12. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Good point vinny. maybe we can hook him up with a moped to get around :rotf:

Holeshot fits him good :D

13. DaleWalker

Hello guys , just doing a few e mails and checking back in

ZL Mark wrote :

Great Idea!

Welcome Dale! (again!)

Glad to see you made it in here. I'm really exited to have you here. Let's get this thread rolling!

I wanted to talk about slide drilling. I don't know if your kit requires this and what are the advantages?

DW: Thanks Mark

No i dont drill the slides in my kits ,The slide springs and original needle taper is actually very good in the ZL carbs, with the right jetting along with shimming the needles properly they work fine without drilling. The bikes are so low gear they snap right to life anyway and i dont like to drill anything internally if i dont have to. With more air flow, my + 4 advancer and a good A/F ratio they come alive pretty well. Also very smooth through the rpm range.

Vinny wrote:

Welcome Dale

Reading Andrew's report back from your discussion, just thought -
    as the ZL motor appears to be prone to heat issues - would fitting an OIL COOLER be a good solution ?
    I know Dale recommends Engine Ice , but would appreciate his thoughts on this.

DW: Hi Vin

The ZL was much better than the first couple years of the 900 Ninja. I would say run a good synthetic oil, a 9 heat range spark plug with the engine ice and that should be fine. Being that the motor is open and the radiator is a pretty good size there ok. With engine ice added , if the fan still kicks on a lot Id maybe add a switch to turn it on a bit sooner. But try the above first.

They are also very lean from the factory so one my jetting kit helps get the heat out of the cylinder head as well.

As far as oil, i dont want to start a oil thread, because they can go on until the end of time......ha ha .

I run and really like Synthetic Rotella T 5w-40 sold at Wallmart , for about $4.40 per qt.

Ok guys got to do my 100 e mails now so take care and i will check back in a few days.

Cheers Dale

:cool10:

14. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

Dale, I'm looking to get a little more power, not asking for alot. I want to keep it stock appearing (exhaust etc) and my carbs run very crisp and i can get over 40 MPG when I drive it right and I kinda like that. I guess I AM asking alot. Don't wanna mess with the carbs or exhaust but yet I want more power, I WANT IT ALL!!! God I sound like my wife. Thanks for your patience Dale :D

15. acp

acp Senior Member

Quick one for you Dale.

I'm looking at getting pods and dynojetting my carbs, as I've had to get a new exhaust system.

Is it necessary to put an advancer in the bike as well, like the one you sell for it? Or is the advancer another optional add-on?

16. DaleWalker

Dale ?

Hi Lowlife

Well cant have that cake unless you do some work really.

The stock mufflers as well as air filter and air box are pretty restrictive. Id at least go with my stage 1 jetting kit even if you want to keep the original mufflers on it.

There is a few hp in the air flow and proper tune up for sure. Keep in mind my stage 1 kit also comes with my timing advancer and those motors like that.

Cheers Dale

17. DaleWalker

Dale ?

Hi Acp

If you have yet to buy the kit, you should consider my stage 2 kit instead. Its simpler to set up comes with the pods, crank vent filter and my advancer is included.

It will work fine with any after market pipe

I can also help you fine tune it after you install it which means a lot these days.

Now then if you have already purchaced the other kit, yes i would buy my advancer and install it also.

It really helps the throttle response.

The other thing i forgot to mention to Lowlife also is the Dyna coils and wires, that wakes them up also. The originals are marginal even new and now are getting very old.

Cheers Dale

18. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

HEY DALE,

is it possible to buy just the timing advancer ? if so, how much, & what are the advantages of having one on a stock zl 900 ? thanks, CHRIS

19. vinny

vinny Senior Member

A couple of questions for Dale - if he doesn't mind. :D

1) How much time does the electric shifter save on a run at the strip?

and

2) I have read - elsewhere, that having a bit of polishing done in the cylinder head can help tp reduse heat there. Is that true? :detective:

Thanks in advance Dale. :D

20. tmdoth

tmdoth Well-Known Member Supporting Member

dents in exhaust

Hi there Dale, had a quick question for you. Took off the exhaust in the process of getting to the top end of the engine and was wondering while I have them off, can I get the dent on the left exhaust pipe pulled somehow? or is there a better suggestion? I would really like to keep them as they sounded great.It might be hard to see the dent, but is right up against the shock tower as that is what caused the dent in the first place.[​IMG]
    I would appreciate any input you might have, and I can and will be posting more pics once I get back to my shop on the weekend. Thanks a lot.
    p.s. really love the sounds these bad boys make, that and the fact that they maintain the symmetry of the bike with 4 into 2