1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

OEM Petcock Rebuild Service....Cores Needed

markus56 Nov 30, 2010

1. KZ1300

KZ1300 Member

Checked with the dealer yesterday, their fiche shows a single aprt number and no kits.

I'm waiting til warmer weather to drain the tank and pull it off.

Wonky looking things, diffeerent from any off the spares I have lying around (of course...)

Thinking it's just a split oring, and hoping I can crack the case and get to it.

images.jpg

Thanks for the response.

2. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

3. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

Hey Markus, Do you have a fresh petcock in stock that you want to sell? If so please send me a pm one way or another. Thanks.:thumbsup:

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have a complete one that needs rebuilt & some used spare parts for another for a ZL 1000. Mark if you want it send me a PM. Oh by the way I got your water pumps yesterday.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

OK, yes I do need some cores to rebuild so send anything you have to me when you send the water pumps back. Anybody else just send me a PM if you have any cores and I'll shoot you my address. Thanks, Mark

6. crue69

crue69 Member

Hi Mark, any status on petcocks? I tried PM but wouldn't send... let me know, thanks Clint

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I worked on them a big part of the day yesterday cleaning all the parts so I'm looking at putting some together today. I'll be in touch with those on my list very soon.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here is what I'll send with the water pumps.

Attached Files:

9. mikemerriam

mikemerriam Active Member

Hey guys... I have 2 good used petcock's(I dont need) and a ZL900 waterpump that needs rebuilding...
    Anyone intrested in parts & $$$ to rebuild a water pump?

Attached Files:

10. markus56

I could use those cores since it looks as if they have good filters on them but I do these at cost already so I can't give alot for 'em. Most filters I get in these days are like the chocolate one R.J. posted a pic of and too brittle to use sometimes. Help me to help the membership by sending me your good cores guys.......I need them to be able to continue doing this for the site since I don't always get a good core in exchange. I will be starting to ship petcocks out again in the next couple of days that are on my waiting list. :thumbsup:

11. mikemerriam

mikemerriam Active Member

There yours...
    PM sent

12. markus56

Thank you very much Mike. I was getting everything together last night to put some together and ran across two more bad filters that I won't be using so as always......I'm short on good filters and it will be the deciding factor on how many I can build. If there's anymore out there collecting dust, I'd be glad to have them guys!

badbrad likes this.
  13. markus56

The new round of rebuilt petcocks are done and I have begun sending them out to the members that have requested them in the last few months. If you get a petcock from me and the handle feels stiff when you turn it, they're all like that till you hook it up and run some gas through them so don't sweat that. Although I do my best at sealing the filter to the petcock body with 'Seal-All', there have still been a couple of instances where the filter has seperated from the body (figure 8 disease) and allowed unfiltered debris to enter the carbs once again. These occurances are rare but they have happened nonetheless so I'm encouraging EVERYONE that gets a rebuilt petcock from me to use a good, cleanable filter somewhere between the petcock and the fuel inlet on the carbs. R.J. posted a pic of a small Pingel fuel filter that would work great since it's small and could fit in the tight space it would need to fit in. There have been several ingeinous ways of running a fuel filter on these bikes. Do a search on the subject and you'll get some ideas but regardless of which filter you use, get one on there as you install your newly rebuilt petcock just for insurance. :thumbsup:

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: If anyone does run a external inline fuel filter make sure it is lower than the fuel valve or you can starve your carbs. I put my Pingel between carbs 2 & 3. For the most part it is say even with the top of the carbs. It is slightly tilted & not quite vertical. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of it in it's resting position. The Pingel runs around $32. The nice thing is it won't get a air pocket in it like one of those cheap plastic filters & it has a removable cone shaped screen that can be cleaned. I've seen some of the Flea Market ones either split or spring a leak.

Attached Files:

15. markus56

Yep, that's a very nice filter there.....I need to get some of them on my bikes and get rid of the cheapy's. These Pingel filters are the perfect compliment to a rebuilt petcock and I highly recommend them.

16. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

Mine came in yesterday Markus and looks real good! Nice job, thanks.:thumbsup:

17. itsbeal

itsbeal Member

Markus, you still rebuilding these? I PM'd you about mine....

18. itsbeal

itsbeal Member

:?: Markus, you ever try using a heat gun (sparingly) on the filters to get them back in shape?:?:

19. markus56

Yes i have but you must let them sit for a few days spread open or they'll never stay that way. I use the plastic tube inside the filter to spread them open since I take them out anyway.

20. markus56

As of today, I just finished another batch of rebuilt petcocks so if anybody needs one, send me a PM me about one. I have 5 ZL1000 valves and a dozen to fit the ZL900 so grab one if you need one. I still recommend a 5/16" Pingle filter be installed between the tank and the carbs for insurance in case the filter on the valve opens back up like some have over time. I have them on all of my ZL's and have yet to have any starvation problems at all from the extra filter.