1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

OEM Petcock Rebuild Service....Cores Needed

markus56 Nov 30, 2010

1. dirtdiverkf

dirtdiverkf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ok, i went over to powersportsplus (i had been there before but thought prices would be the same everywhere, my wrong) and here is the list of parts that i gathered and pricing.

11009-1188 Gasket, Fuel Tap (1) (2.5:cool:
    43028-1021 Diaphragm Valve Assy (1) (11.22)
    51039-003 O Ring (1) (2.5:cool:
    670B1504 O Ring, 4MM (1) (1.59)
    92022-183 Washer, Plain (2) (1.59)
    92055-1085 O Ring, Fuel Tap Lev (1) (2.05)
    92081-1240 Spring, Diaphragm Valv (1) (1.59)

Total 24.79 (shipping around 7 to 10 bucks)
    so maybe have 35 in parts with me doing the work or markus doing it at 50 bucks plus shipping to and from. Only reason i am debating me doing it is for the experience, im trying to do more stuff on my own with these bikes and less relying on shops, markus does great work, and by no means taking anything from that.

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

As always, it makes me no difference one way or the other cause I do these at no profit anyway, just as a service to the membership. If you want to learn you're bike, by all means get the parts and get 'er done! :laughing7:

3. salamander

salamander Active Member

Received my petcock back from markus today, and it looks great. I know what it looked like when I sent it out, and I swear, this could be a brand new part. Well worth the cost for a part that you really want to work right.

4. fast2go

fast2go Well-Known Member

Just a couple of questions . First will the petcock from a zg 1000 fit the zl 1000 ? If not do you have any ready for sale ? I'm tired of trying to find parts , I would rebuild mine but it is missing the spacer block for the diaphragm .:(

5. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

They have different part numbers so I'm not sure what the difference is between the two - might be the mounting holes, filter size, or just the way the vaccuum assembly works. They look the same in the fiche. Would be hard to tell without having them side by side to compare - I haven't heard of anyone doing this swap that I can remember. Later.

6. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

Markus, DON'T LET ME FORGET! I have a couple cores for you! Remind me before I bring over that ZL1000 tank! :headbang:

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

To answer your question......yes, they will physically fit in the same holes, interchange with each other and work the same. The Concours valve has a different handle with different handle positions than the ZL9 or ZL1k valves but they do work and Kawasaki does still offer the Concours valve brand new. If your valve is otherwise complete, you get that diaphram block when you buy a new diaphram from Kawasaki and they still offer all rebuild parts for the ZL valves as well. Don't go with aftermarket parts when rebuilding these valves......I have had problems with that in the past! And don't forget to replace the plastic tube inside the filter with the proper brass tubing. I do have a valve ready to ship so PM me if you need to exchange yours and we'll get it done.

8. fast2go

fast2go Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys , I'm gonna get one from markus56 . I'm just tired of chasing parts for it , I wanna ride ! I bought a dyna ignition for it and new coils , because the factory ignitor went out . I haven't gotten to ride in quite a while , and I'm in sunny Florida.

9. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

I need a petcock rebuild, or if you like the package that I've been looking out for you, maybe we could exchange....Markus, keep an extra one handy, I think you'll like what's coming in the mail for you. I have to get it first, but I do think that we may be able to do a deal, part for part. I'll keep you posted.....but it IS the complete solution you've been looking for.

10. Scoobys_piece

Your package came Markus, let me know if you want to do a trade on a rebuilt petcock. I really need this done, as I don't think it's ever been done and my carbs are with Rick, my NOS tank is sitting here, new carb boots and springs, and I have to shoot Rick and email about tubing....Let me know. OH, the package IS complete and really looks nice.

OR, can you rebuild mine for the exchange? I can't believe how good the parts that came look. Talk to ya.

11. markus56

Scooby, I've been trying to send you messages but you need to clear some space. Yes, we'll do the trade. Will PM when you make room.....:laughing7:

12. Scoobys_piece

Just cleared some space....Send away...

13. markus56

Just wanted to update this thread and remind everyone it's that time of year to get your ZL tuned up and ready for the season. Part of that should consist of rinsing your tank out and checking you fuel valve. If there's ANY question of the condition of the parts in your valve, REPLACE THEM!!! As I do every spring, I just re-built about a dozen petcocks and that should be enough for the membership till the Fall. Thanks to Furchin, I now have a ZL600 valve in stock and ready to go as well. These OEM parts I use and the brass tubing are getting more and more expensive all the time. As a result, the valves I have this year will be $75.00 exchange with a good core and FILTER. As always, the filter is the determining factor since a bad one can't be replaced new and I won't buy a core with a bad filter. Get those valves re-built guys......it's not worth the risk of a bent rod!! :thumbsup:

14. 86biker

86biker Member

This is 86biker: I replaced my petcock with a pingel 6311crk and adp. plate A1702c. Works great. Are you still buying stock 900ZL petcocks. The one I have is clean and works and has filter with figure 8 (slightly)! I live in Menifee, California. If Interested My E-Mail is pkchase2@yahoo.com. Thanks for all the Info. on carbs.

15. markus56

PM sent

16. carpntr76

carpntr76 Well-Known Member

Markus I have a core for you I switched to a Pingel so don't need it back. Send me a pm of your address and I'll get it in the mail.

17. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

Markus, one more on the way for you. Let me know if you need any more information than what I included in my package.

18. markus56

Got your PM Lucky-13 and will be back in touch when it gets here. I only have four left till I do some more in May so if anyone's thinking they'll need one soon, better get to gettin' before you get stuck out. Also have one for a ZL6 in inventory. If anyone has any cores that they won't be using again, I could use them to help continue offering this service to our membership. :thumbsup:

19. KZ1300

KZ1300 Member

Markus,

Do you do rebuilds on the EL250 Petcocks as well? Thanks.

Alan

20. markus56

I've never had a request to do a 250 petcock. Have you checked with your local dealer to see if the parts are still available? I would say they are but you need to check. Not much to it other than cleaning it real good and replacing everything that you can. The problem with petcocks in general is that they don't get any attention till they become a problem. As Furchin mentioned, a Pingle may also be an option for you but I'd say the original should be able to be rebuilt. Be sure to use OEM pieces.......aftermarket ones don't always fit well.