1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to visitors and guests

wuputt Oct 3, 2008

1. eagles1539

eagles1539 Active Member

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.:occasion14::occasion14: Nice bike. Lot of good info here and guys that will help you out.

2. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Glad you got on a ZL1K! I see you are missing the swingarm caps, they are still available from mama Kaw I think, scoop em up now before they are gone!
    If you decide to take off the sheild for good keep me in mind...I just might have a horn cover in a box....just sayin...

Putt

3. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Welcome to ZL_OA Lucas! Hope you enjoy your time here!

If your worried about the bike being bone stock new aftermarket wave rotors can be purchased threw the ZL STORE. They are nice rotors but require a little tweaking of the stock bolts to make them bolt down properly and safely. The price isn't bad compared to others out there and when the price of stockers re considered they are a bargain! If your interested in them just use the search function and you will find plenty of threads pertaining to them and the grinding of the bolts so you will know exactly what needs to be done.

I would vote for removing the faring myself as I don't think it looks good on the bike

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Bike looks really clean & unmolested. :thumbsup: Do you happen to know what kind of faring/shield that is. It does look a little out of place on a ZL but would be great for long rode trips. The only thing to watch out for is at high speeds you may get a wobble with a big wind shield such as one like that. I had a big one on my Nighthawk that the PO had on & at around 100 mph I had really bad tank slap.

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      86.9 KB
      Views:
    1Fishman likes this.
  5. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to ZL-OA !

6. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum,and nice score :thumbsup:
    Pm sent about the front rotors.

7. lovemkawasakizl

lovemkawasakizl Member

Thanks for letting me in. Just the type of site I was looking for. Growing up in the 70's the Eliminator was the bike I wanted. Started with a Kawasaki 90, then kz 400, finally a kz 650. Still have a young heart, and know I will find what I am looking for, along with your help. Thanks again lovemkawasakizl

8. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to ZL-OA ! glad to have you with us ! :thumbsup:

9. palada

palada Member

I joined the site recently as I've been wanting a zl900 since they were first introduced. Yesterday I finally bought one! I found a pretty nice one in a snow belt state and now have to start the replacement of all the little things that go wrong on 30 year old vehicles. I'm more of an adventure and dual sport rider and have two European bikes at the moment, but I've always had a soft spot for Kawasakis. My first road bike was a KZ400 and my second was an LTD700, and now after several others, I have my 85 ZL900. :D The bike's being shipped now, but I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of (dumb) questions here once I dig in.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  10. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

No dumb questions. Search the site - most have been answered. And welcome to the club. Later.

11. Sloppyburpfest

Sloppyburpfest Member

Hey guys, been checking out the site on and off for years, figured it was about time to check in and say hi.

I test rode a ZL600B new in 1997 and liked it, wound up buying a used 1996 ZL600B in 2000. It is a beautiful OEM factory yellow with purple flames which still gets compliments, which I’ve completely grown sick of the color of. So with the help of eBay I now have a second set of skins for it and it will shortly be pretty much a black bike. Guess I could have painted it, but it’s nice to have a complete set to sell.

Also got sick of the tiny gas tank, so I picked up a ZR-7 tank which is 22 Liters / 5.8 gallons to try to make fit. It was cheap to get but it’s in really rough shape internally. There is a layer of lacquer and rust on the inside. The fuel valve and the fuel gauge sending unit are totally gummed up. Rehabbing that tank is a project all on its own. The plan is to fabricate a mounting bracket that will basically fit into the original tank mounts and then support the new tank, so no frame alterations will be made. The tank is a good six or more inches longer than the tiny factory tank so some seat modification will have to happen too. Will definitely have a large fuel filter between it and the carbs.

After test mounting the tank it was clear that the handlebars were way to close to it. So with a little research and some luck it turns out that Scootworks SWR-11 Handlebar risers for a Kawasaki 1996+ EN500 Vulcan fit perfectly and give the needed clearance. The cables really need to be 4” longer now. I’m playing around with rerouting the original cables to see if they can be kept instead of trying to get custom ones made or others adapted.

Picked up a factory engine guard for it a few years ago from eBay too. Never mounted it, will probably throw that on, maybe with some highway pegs.

Anyway, it’s still a work in progress with a lot to do. Really hoping to get it all back together in the next month and have it ready for Americade this June. Wish me luck with that…

-Sloppy

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

13. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Sloppy - pics or it didn't happen :D

14. Sloppyburpfest

Sloppyburpfest Member

OK, was planning to put them in the Modifications forum, but I can give you a preview here...

Pic 1 note the yellow tank in the back ground. Pic 2 note the addition of the risers.

Attached Files:

15. Drdeth

Drdeth New Member

Hi everyone, old to motorcycles with a new to me 1986 Zl 600 in the garage
    Looking forward to making this bike what I want it to be
    Maybe Cafe

16. 1Fishman

1Fishman New Member

I have a ZL1000 I picked up years ago from a estate that was in a legal fight for years. It had about a thousand miles on it. I only have just under 4,000 miles on it now. It has been plagued with carburetor problems for Years. I have had several bikes over the years but never had much problems with them. I have tried parking it with dry carbs, wet and tried every kind of fuel stabilizer. I always ran a in line filter too on all my bikes. If it sat for very long, the carbs had to be cleaned...... My 750 Specter has about 30,000 miles on it and rarely has a problem and the carbs are almost identical.....

17. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

I've been adding 2 oz of TC-W3 to each fill up. It's a two stroke motor oil and it keeps the inside of the tank from rusting and also keeps the carbs from the detrimental effects of ethanol fuel. So far no problems at all.

1Fishman likes this.
  18. 1Fishman

1Fishman New Member

I have never ran ethanol in my bike. So far I have been lucky to have a few stations near me that sell a no ethanol premium gas. My uncle uses some kind of off road lead additive to his bikes. He told me it helps stop ware in older bikes that ran leaded gas back in the day....... I will have to look in to your suggestion. Sounds like a good thing to do if you know it will be parked for some time. At the Kawasaki dealer I worked at, we had a no gas in tank policy do to the insurance company, but if we had to run a bike, we used only race fuel in small quantities. Not good to run all the time, but when it evaporates, nothing is left behind....

19. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

This advice travels around the bikeworld, found it in a lot of forums and it's true...so you don't have to seal the tank anymore (sorry for those who did :geek:).

20. SJC

SJC Member

Hello everyone just bought my 2nd ZL 900 had one back in the 80s but that one is long gone. This one is an 85 with 24k miles needs some tlc it's a winter project. Looking for the engine guards both r missing. And has a small oil leak which after looking on this site looks like it may be the water pump. Also seems to be seeping from the head cover gasket on left side. Any info advice and places to find parts would be great. Thanks ZL owners Great site