1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to visitors and guests

wuputt Oct 3, 2008

1. FRANK THE TANK

FRANK THE TANK Member

Hi everyone!! I have been looking for a ZL 600 website for over a month since i got my 1986 zl 600 in pieces.lol Finally i was doing a good search on pod filters and this site came up. Ill be on here al ot now. Ill post pic of how my zl was last night. im a painter so thats why it in primer. I put motor back in last night to make sure it runs before i finish paint end.

myzl primer.jpg

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Welcome Frank!

3. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to ZL-OA Frank !

4. FRANK THE TANK

FRANK THE TANK Member

hahaha .Nice.:hello2:

5. krummi

krummi Member

Moin eliminators!

My name is Frank and I live in northern Germany. I own and drive a 85 zl 900 since 1992.
    It is in my opinion the most beautiful motorcycle I know.
    On the street below my butt with that thunder I feel free and happy.
    I'm impressed how many zl lovers are there worldwide!

I'll look around you at the forum and if I have good information I write to you!
    perhaps even I improved my English with you.

Have a look on the german eliminator site: www.zl-treffen.de

cheers from germany
    krummi

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

Welcome. I like the into, especially about the thunder under your butt. I know it was probably not meant to be funny, but I got a chuckle out of it.

7. krummi

krummi Member

:bootyshake:

8. jeffe

jeffe Active Member

Hi frank
    Where in Deutsche?
    I've been in us for most my life
    But I'm from wuerzberg
    And uhh I don't speek a lick anymore

9. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Welcome to zl-oa Frank!

10. krummi

krummi Member

i am from lower saxony from the city called Leer near the north sea!

are you born in wuerzberg? so why you stay now in us?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  11. jeffe

jeffe Active Member

My father was u.s army stationed in kitzingen
    I was born in wuerzberg
    When he was reassigned we moved to u.s
    I was 5 years old then

12. krummi

krummi Member

I have family members in minnesota and iowa.
    was over there in 1993 and have met two bikers in the badlands
    from indiana but unfortunately no zl driver.
    had a nice time for six weeks.

13. dnvrider

dnvrider Active Member

New Member in Denver

New to the site but a long time ZL owner (since 8:cool:. I still have the bike and spent a winter restoring it. The frame was powder coated and all aluminum parts (including the front forks) were polished to chrome finish for bike shows. The tank, side covers, and tail were custom painted with a ghost fire 1 of a kind paint job. Ghost fire resembles smoldering at the point just before a fire ignites. The fire was added on top of the original red and then clear coated. That allows me to enter the bike in competition as original and if I hit it with 1000W halogen show lights, the fire stands out. Bike is all original except for the horns (chrome covers blew off at 120 mph in Utah). btw Virago horns around the same period look very much like the originals and fit with minor modification. Bike won "Firefighters Choice" at the 2008 Arvada car show in Colorado. I added a Metzler Marathon 170/80 on the rear that allows for about 1/4 in clearance on the drive shaft side. I love this bike but lately it seems it is running on 3 cylinders until it gets to 3500 rpm and then smooths out. Any advice would be very welcome becuase I have had it to 3 shops and no one can seem to correct the problem. Could it be the original coils and does anypne know where I can get replacement coils-high performance coils are OK if they meet OEM specs.
    Pics attached ZL Car Show.jpg Ken & his Bikes.JPG

14. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Hello and welcome to the site. Good info on the horn covers - at least it's a close alternative for those who want a cover on their horn. Start a new thread on your bike problem in the "ZL Talk" section - you'll get more help there and always do a search on the site as most questions have been answered before. Enjoy the site. Later.

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: While I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I am proud to me part of such a great Forum. I became a member in July 2012 but did not post up until Oct of the same year. I have gained great knowledge about are ZLs in the past year thanks to all. I want to thank everyone for helping me in maintaining & finding parts for my ZL 1000. I had a great time at VMD this past July. It was well worth the trip. If anyone comes to Central FL do not hesitate to look me up. :thumbsup: R. J.

16. Bbtoe

Bbtoe Member

Just joined.

In 1985, I was motorcycle shopping with my Dad in Calgary Canada. We went to the local Kawasaki dealership, where I was drawn instantly to the ZL-900. It was my dream bike. With my best winning grin I asked "How about this one?". He laughed at me and we came home with a red Yamaha 125 street bike. The 125 didn't last long, and was traded in for a Suzuki 450 "Suzukimatic", which was also painful, but didn't wheelie every time we were both on it. In Alberta you get your learners license at 14, and we both enjoyed our time on the Suzukimatic. As soon as I was sixteen I acquired my motorcycle license, and it was off to dealership again, where I picked up a early 80's GPZ 550, what a rocket compared to the Suzuki.

Fast forward to 2000, when my second daughter was born and a move from Alberta to British Columbia. My bike was a black 1979 Kawasaki LTD 1000, motorcycle insurance in Alberta was $180 a year, in B.C. it rose to an astounding $800 per year. The LTD was traded for a 1969 Cougar XR7, the wife approved, and the kids could ride along.

Now my oldest daughter is 17, where did the time go? It's December, 2013, Its cold, I'm bored, looking through the local classifieds, and there it is.. A cherry ZL-900. Second owner, 33,000 km on the clock, never seen rain or a day of outside storage. Needless to say it now resides in my garage. I tell everybody that my wife got it for me for Christmas, those that know me just laugh, knowing I'm full of B.S. I cant wait till spring........

This site has been a great resource, and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better.

Bbtoe in B.C. Canada

17. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

18. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

Welcome. What part of BC are you at? If you ever decide to come across the border, give me a holler. I am about a 90 minutes ride south the border.

19. lucas7667

lucas7667 Member

Hey guys!
    Its about time I introduced myself, my names Lucas im from Chapel Hill NC and go to college in Missouri, I joined the forum last October after my friend got me addicted to motorcycles over the summer. I started riding on a little Yamaha Route 66 followed by Honda shadow 600. Ever since I laid my eyes on a ZL1000 ive wanted one, they're beautiful, fast, and pretty reliable from what ive read, so I ended up buying a zl1000 on Christmas eve from a guy in Roanoke.

The Bike is basically stock (with the full tool kit and owners manual) its clean as a whistle and I plan on keeping it that way. Of course nothing in life is perfect, so im in the market for a LH muffler and a nice set of front rotors. Im missing one of the horn covers but ive read those don't come cheap and it doesn't bother me enough warrant the expense. Im still unsure if I want to keep the faring or not, its nice to have but I honestly like the way it looks without it.

Ill see ya guys around,
    -Lucas
    IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0458.jpg IMG_0464.jpg

20. hmt81

hmt81 Active Member

Nice ZL1K. Congrats & Welcome to the forum from another newbie.

Henry