1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy gas cap buzzing.

Kappdaddy Sep 28, 2013

1. Amelio Aramini

Amelio Aramini New Member

Hi im still fighting with the noise tried different methods with no success.

2. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

I took a rubber mallet to every inch of it yesterday. Really helped me find a bunch of sources. Anything other than a dense THUD needs attention. GENTLY of course..

3. Raf900

Raf900 Member

when I bought my bike the tank would make a high pitch sound even after shutting it down. I found the fuel flow was slowing down by doing a test with the tank off . I cleaned the petcock and replaced the rubber parts, no change in flow. I took apart the gas cap and found it plugged, cleaned it removed the diaphram and interior and it flows steady. no sound.

4. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

5. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Ok, I thought I had a flow problem this weekend it ran great, but wouldn't go over 60mph I think it's fuel flow it the carbs need a rebuild.

6. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

20180829_165103.jpg I acquired another buzz today after I fit my windscreen on
    in the headlight bucket
    the bracket that holds the instrument lights in place
    the foam is deteriorating and was buzzing awfull
    I just tweaked the bracket to put more tension up to the light assembly and the buzz went away

7. Ed

Ed Active Member

A stick-on wheel weight or two placed outta sight if possible might do the trick.

My ZL600 headlight bucket buzzes at certain RPMs. I need to take a look inside.

8. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

20181130_012903.jpg I had the same noise until i replaced the tank bushings, all 3, with sliced down stabilizer bar bushings. Forget about paying $$$ for new kawasaki ones, these stabilizer bushings work great. Just be careful slicing them because they're a bit tough and will jump out of your hand possibly leaving you with lacerations.

9. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Dirty, your homade bushings offer no dampening on the sleeves like the OEM bushings do, they just dampen side loads. You may want to reconsider spending a few bucks and install proper dampeners to avoid vibes from working on the mounting tab welds and causing leaks in your tank.

10. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Very good point! If the bushings are hard like these look like, The vibration will be enhanced on the tank mounts which is not good!

11. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

These bushings are definitely harder than the softer rubber bushings. I can only find the originals at partzilla though and they are a premium price. I have softer rubber bushings i could cut up but are you saying they need the metal sleeves so they don't vibrate the tabs if overtightened? Thanks for looking out...

12. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

20181208_203002.jpg
    This is what was left of the other bushings on the right side.

13. 87kawzl

I just bought some at the dealer $5 ea. I thought that wasn't too bad. Took a couple of days to get. Do you still have the sleeves for the bolts?

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and spend the money for the right bushings or spend MUCH more on getting those mounts fixed. Then you can count on a repaint too. The mount design on the ZL1k sucks big time but I've found no better way to make it work as well as we can by using the correct bushings and collars. IMHO, the design should have been like the old Z1 style of sliding up on frame horns.

15. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

When mounting the ZL10-tank on my 9 I directly cut M8 into the brackets on the frame (enough flesh existing) and new SS-sleeves were made by my brother who had access on a lathe, outside painted black and ready...the orig. M6 threads are a joke for 18.5 liters being accelerated. :laughing7:
    IMG_20181209_174321.jpg

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  17. 87kawzl

S&H took the bushings to $15 on partzilla. I'm going to have to shop around a bit more next tear down.

I do like the cups in the front like some other bikes had but can you imagine an even smaller tank on the 9 to allow clearance for that.

18. markus56

They could've left the ZL900 as is since it's small and fairly light compared to the ZL1000 tank.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The thing about partzilla that I don't like is in order to get free shipping your order needs to be $149 or more. Motosport is $79 or more. I have a list of parts that I've slowly been buying OEM parts for 5 different bikes so my order is always + $150. I've placed an order every month for the past 2 years. I've also bought other people parts in order to meet the free shipping amount.

20. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:You clever fox you...:laughing7: