1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie,ZL400 Project.

Alex Woods Jan 3, 2020

1. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

3FE3385D-7B1B-4AD9-A67C-EDDFDF28926D.jpeg 948DAFF7-8902-46D0-8839-35AC4CC3F69F.jpeg A728A084-0B01-44D1-BDEF-0E0F478F8718.jpeg

Fixed the petcock with a repair kit tonight and got carried away with the cleaning and polishing so if nothing else she’ll look presentable for the mot..... need to make an aesthetically pleasing (ish) bracket to hold on the trim that required the air box to hold it in place....

Trojan441 and R. J. like this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Sharp looking ride. My mechanic once told me that looks were half the battle on annual state inspection.

Alex Woods likes this.
  3. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Thanks Kawzl. Yeah it is true I used to do MOT tests on cars and it does make a difference to have a tidy/clean car.

I’ll put up a pic just before I leave for my MOT all spruced up. Hopfully I’ll make it to the test station...

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here in FL we don't have a State inspection. We had one but it stopped in the late 70s. From what I was told it was a joke. The brake test was the inspector got in the car and pushed on the brake pedel. :laughing7:.

Alex Woods likes this.
  5. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

You don't have one at all? is there something other than the state inspection that checks the "roadworthiness" of a vehicle? just curios to know. however during my time in Canada we had an old banged up car that functioned but id say would definitely fail a British MoT. :roflmao:

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: No inspection what so ever. Cars within 5 miles of the beach are rust buckets. A part falls off and it don't get replaced. Also any bike 30 years old or older you don't even need a title in order to get a FL title.

7. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

T
    That is absolutely bonkers....

8. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Changing subject slightly and forgive me for it being a silly question..... how it the drive shaft lubricated? And is there any axle/gear oil to be replaced?

I’ve done. Engine oil and filters and drained and flushed the coolant just wanted to make sure there wasn’t any other vital fluids I needed to replace before it’s first voyage after 5 years standing...

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The rear hub gear holds about 4 oz of 90 weight gear oil.

Alex Woods likes this.
  10. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Sorry when you say 90 weight so for example sae 90w? Or ep90w? Any recommendations?

11. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I used an American product last time, one n' only change so far! Screenshot at 2020-01-15 11:30:40.png

R. J. likes this.
  12. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

4 oz are ~118 ml; the 600B supplement tells for final drive 190 ml which are ~6.4 oz!

13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: TROJAN: Good choice. The LUCAS is best for hot climate areas like FL. As of now I'm using AMSOIL SAE 80W-90. I can get it at cost from a friend. $9 a quart. I also use the AMSOIL in my Yamaha 4x4 ATV. ______________________________________________________ IMG_8439.JPG

14. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Thanks for suggestions guys. Least I know what to go for now. I’ll get some on order and get it changed at the weekend before I hopefully will be able to carry out a little test ride...

15. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Local parts stores carry gear oil
    No need to drop ship the stuff

Alex Woods likes this.
  16. Trojan441

Not so in the UK Motorcycle shops and Motor factors are disappearing like plague victims!

Alex Woods likes this.
  17. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

True, I'm away with work for the next few days so have ordered so its waiting for me at home.....as well as the missus looking at me like death because I'm spending more money on the bike......:cautious:

18. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Very true, even some of the larger motorcycle dealers are getting few and far between... sad really :cry:

19. Trojan441

Blame it on the Agemda 21 Arse-li*king Politicians plus theEU n' their meddling control n' the Euro pollution Regime, n' ridiculous costs n' laws round motorcycling in 2020!

Alex Woods likes this.
  20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here in the States the Dealers have to order almost everything. I had to order fork oil of all things.