1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie,ZL400 Project.

Alex Woods Jan 3, 2020

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

A 250 should easily hold 70 Mph!

Alex Woods likes this.
  2. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Good to know what it’s capable of (when it’s running right!)

iv gotta say when I partially restricted the air flow the bike in lower gears shot off and revved right up. I was impressed.

Once I get it running right I should hopefully get the acceleration and top speed that it’s capable of in the higher gears.

3. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Alex, I have just reread this entire post looking for something that would point to your acceleration issues and I believe I may have found it. Please go back and read your post #197. You are running stock jets so I feel this is the issue you have to take a look into. Pods and stock jets just don't work well together.

Alex Woods likes this.
  4. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

thanks furchin. I was looking into a jet kit for the ZL400 earlier.

Even though I have the stock ZL600 jets in I would still get the issues?

I’m a complete newb when it comes to carbs/jetting. the way I was thinking was 600 jets = more fuel so it would be able to cope with pods being fitted. Obviously as I’m having these issues that’s not the case.

I have contacted Dynojet who have replied saying they don’t offer anything for the ZL400. Is there any other options for a jet kit?

5. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

6. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

7. Harriminator

CAUTION: at the 1st sight I looks like that, but only the 'ZL400 Eliminator' in front of main jets is written in dark grey, all others are in light grey.o_O

8. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Hmmm yes now you mention it. Makes me slightly suspicious. Surely they don’t just send you a main jet and some instructions for $80!

9. Harriminator

To send a request is the way to find it out; I guess for 80 bucks you get the 4 main jets, the carb schematic (for those who don't know how it works), the 'how to build a syncro for $5' (better buy a good one for $50!) and the 'step by step instructions' (could be useful to avoid damage).

Once I was on the jet kit trip too but it turned out to gain nothing; the needles of a kit have another form than the orig. ones so you need them too. You have to drill the slider holes for quicker response - can't be made undone (and is not recommended IMO). To find out the real gain of this whole action you must do a dyno run somewhere = extra costs. They all promise extra power with some easy changes but you invest time&money for an illusion to be the king of performance...finally you decide if it's worth the effort. :thumbsdown:

Alex Woods likes this.
  10. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Yeah i wouldn’t be drilling either. other than replacing the jets etc I’m not trying to have max power and be the fastest bike out there id just like it to work properly.

Iv already got carb balancing gauges aswell and know how a carb works so not sure I’d be gaining a lot for my 80 bucks.

I’v ordered an original air box so if all else fails I’ll remove the carbs and fit standard jets and see how she goes. It’s the original rubbers between the carb and box iv been told previously are hard to come by.

I’m gonna have a look at the ones iv got and see if they will suffice though.

11. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Well-Known Member

Awhile back I was building a yamaha vstar 650 bobber and tried 6sigma kit. I had removed 1/2 of the stock air intake then replaced it with a Ramair filter and had aftermarket exhaust. Divulging all that to them they sent me 3 sets of main jets, 4 needle shims and a drill bit. Everything else on the "kit list" was on 4 sheets of paper that also came in the package. They did communicate a lot to make sure everything was working for me. My kit only cost $50 as the vstar only has 2 carbs.

I used the set of largest jets and 1 set of needle shims. Did not drill anything!! Even though it works fine now, I probably won't buy from them again.

Attached Files:

Alex Woods likes this.
  12. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

hmm yeah I think I’ll try and go back to stock to be honest. That bike is lovely. Fat front tyre on her too!

13. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Alex,found this on our site. May give you a little insight as to what you have now for jets.----------"The Zl 600 and Zl 400 models share the same 30mm Keihin carbs, the only difference being the stock Main jets size (#90 vs #85),"
    For reference I am running 102's or 106's in my 600 with pods. Can't remember without checking.
    So my point is with either 400 carbs or 600 carbs the stock jets are too small.
    Another thing is from what I have heard about the Sigma jet kits is that they want you to jet the two inner carbs different from the two outer ones.

Alex Woods likes this.
  14. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

ahh so even the stock 600 jets aren’t enough to cope with the higher airflow for pods. I’m unsure of what is actually fitted to the 600 carb I have but I’m 90% certain it’s stock jets.

If I was to just purchase the main jets would this change anything? I’m thinking maybe just buy some bigger main jets and see what it’s like... Or do I have to change the idle jets etc? ....

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes just buy 4 new main jets. Go up to the next size. Also you may have to shim all 4 needles You can buy really small SS washers to use as shims.

Alex Woods likes this.
  16. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

Sorry RJ I know what you mean by shimming the needles what does that do/change? I’m assuming more fuel as it lifts the needle higher?

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

18. Alex Woods

Alex Woods Member

19. Harriminator

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:All jets have a # on them. First make sure that all 4 jets have the same # on them then buy the next size up or buy 8 jets with the next 2 sizes up. 4 of each. I get my OEM jets from a bike parts dealer Cycle Goodies in Daytona Beach. He has 2 kits one for Makuni carbs and another for Keihin carbs. They cost $5 each.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Alex Woods likes this.