1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

new ZL1000A

Guest Sep 3, 2007

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

I just bought my first Eliminator - am I excited! The bike has 39,000 miles (I know, that's a lot!). Other than normal service maintenance, what should be the FIRST thing that I should plan on doing to avoid $$$ repairs in the future. The bike runs fine, no smoke, lots of power, etc...

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

FL-Rider

2. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

Fl-rider, congrats on your new ZL! I have been riding my ZL1k for 5 years now, have 27,000 on the clock. These are VERY reliable motors! There are a few things that I will recommend. First, 39,000 is not terrible depending on how well it has been serviced. Most important is keeping good clean oil in it! Check your rubber boots on both sides of the carbs for cracks, any crack is a power thief ( if they are leaking) good way to check if they are leaking is, start the bike run at idle and spray WD-40 on the boots, if you notice a change in the idle speed you need new boots and yes they are getting hard to come by. Next, I would pull the bolt out of the back of the tank mount, brace the back of the tank up. You will notice a 1/4" tube coming out of thebottom of the tank, this is your tank vent. Pull the fill cap off, stuff a rag loosely down in the tank and blow into that tube with compressed air. This will insure that the tank is "breathing" properly. Next since you already have the tank loose in the back, go ahead and pull it off all the way. Pull your plug wires off 1 at a time and unscrew the ends that go on the plug, cut off about 1/4-1/2 inch and put them back together. I would even replace the radiator cap since you have the tank off. You can take it off, go to Advance Auto or Napa, or any other auto parts shop, they can match it up and get you ot with a good cap at a fraction of what Kaw charges. This will help with any cooling problems. Keeping the motor cool is the key to long life for these bikes. Next I would put her back together and ride your ass off! Oh yea, don't forget the standard safety stuff like checking tire pressures and brakes.

You didn't mention if this is your first bike or one of many!

Enjoy and ride safe.

There is a more active ZL site where lots of us post very frequently, here is the link, hope to see you there and post up some pics!

http://www.zl-oa.com/index.php

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Wuputt! This is my 2nd bike after a long hiatus - 1st was a Yam Fazer, also an '87.

I really stumbled into the ZL - long story, but I got a great deal, and it seems to be in good mechanical shape. It's a little rough on the cosmetic side - it's never been dumped, no dings, rips or tears, it just needs some TLC. The only mods that it has are a Dyno-Jet kit, and Supertrapp exhaust system - I've been out of it so long, I don't know if these are "good things" or not! It's got AMAZING power (as I imagine all the ZL's do)!!

Thanks for the great info - I'll check out those things this afternoon and report back. I'll check out the other site, too. Like I said, I've been out of it for a long time, I'm sure I'll have MANY questions in the days and weeks to come!

Just curious...how does this bike compare to today's bikes of similar size?

Thanks for the good wishes!

FL-Rider

4. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

Hey Bro, If you compare to ANY V-twin, power wise the ZL will hold up or fly by!
    I have "blown away" EVERY Harley that has the balls to run me. That includes a couple with lots of mods!
    These bikes are strong and FAST! I wouldn't go so far as to say they will compete with the new "crotch rockets" performance wise, however, when they blast from a stoplight, they are tryin to keep the front wheel on the ground, while the ZL, well, I have left the line at 7grand and the front just stays planted! I will say tho, I put a set of IRC Wildflare tires on this spring and they hook up like I can't believe!!! I have burned up several Dunlops in the past few years and this is the first tire that I can't "smoke" at will!

Keep me posted on your progress! When you start polishing, I have some good tips there too..

I put 300 miles on yesterday with a bro that rides a ZL9. Damn, we had a blast!!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Wuputt,

Where and how should I START the polishing process? I'll be posting some pictures on the other site to show it's current state...don't say I didn't warn ya'!

Thanks,

FL

6. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

lots of guys are using a buffing wheel on a bench grinder. They start with the coarsest compound and work to the finest. This produces a chrome like shine.
    If a buffer is not available, what I have done is use steel wool and metal polish. I started with 000 grade steel wool on the worst pieces, once you get rid of the corrosion, go to the 0000 steel wool, this will get rid of the scratches and give you a very good shine. There is no easy way! Lots of elbow grease is what gets it done!
    The first time I polished mine I took off the rear footpeg brackets and the mufflers, then I got the passenger handrails and backrest. (handrails one at a time to keep the support on one shock)

Great winter project just because I hate giving up riding time!

Another GREAT product is "Silkolene Pro-Prep" made by "Fuchs" check ZL-OA "product" thread. You will not regret using this stuff, it makes your rad. shroud look like new and if you spray it on your motor and frame, then leave it sit overnight the results are nothing short of amazing.

Did you join ZL-OA?

7. ARCHIVE_zlMark

ARCHIVE_zlMark Guest

8. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

See if this is better.

9. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

Told ya I was a dumbass!