1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New zl1000 Paint

JohnH#II Oct 29, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Throttle cables are to be routed down behind the head light and on the right side of the frame just above the top right tank mount. Also your clutch line is about a foot to long. Place the clutch slave mounting point more toward the motor and up along the left side of the frame under the fuel tank and above the left tank mount then behind the head light.

2. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Thanks RJ. I have a more correct length braided (black) clutch line and it is about a foot shorter. Will rebuild a stock master and the slave cylinder and get that back in order. Doing the brake side also in black. Will get the throttle cables straight when I get to that side.Found a set of original grips too.

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: KAWASAKI still offers the OEM grips but the throttle grip comes with the throttle tube as one unit.

4. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

I found an original zl9 set in good shape on eBay for $12 and I also have an OEM set from from Kawasaki. I will put the used set on the zl9 and the zl10 will get the OEM set.

R. J. likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So you like the ZL 10 better. :laughing7:. I have a spare set of new OEM ones. When I bought my ZL 10 from the PO he had these really thick hard ass chrome grips on it and really small mirrors that was useless.

6. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Suprisingly, yes I do like the zl10 better and I'm trying to keep it as close to original as possible. Some time in it life someone put those late 80's early 90's foam grips on. Now I did that to many a scoot but I was young and well..... Ya know. I hate mirrors but now I hate not having them worse.

7. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Are the grab rails an original fitment?

8. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Yes, the grab rails are original equipment. I don't really like them but I do not sit back there. The little lady like them and the higher back rest though.