1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New Source for Fork Brace for zl1000

garysciascia Sep 5, 2019

?

How many people would look to order a fork brace at the price of $114 with shipping

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. garysciascia

garysciascia Active Member

I found a guy in Georgia, Jim Hinshaw. Called him today with the fork dimensions for the 87 zl1000. He said the fork dimensions I gave him of 60mm for the fork tube diameter is a common Kawasaki dimension and is the same as the VN-750 fork brace he currently makes. The piece of aluminum that bridges the 2 forks needs to be modified to fit the zl 1000 dimension of 130mm (inside deimension between the forks) or 190mm center to center. He said he would have it to me in 4 days. $104 plus $10.40 priority mail. After I receive it, install it on my bike, i'll post a pic and let you know how well it fits or doesn't. His website is "fastfromthepast.com" The part number is 23-0044 (for the Vulcan). He said after he gets feedback from me that the fit is correct he will list an option for the zl1000 for the VN-750 for brace. His phone number is 404 680 6502. He asked not to receive any calls until we get the right fit with the fork brace he will be sending me next week. Perhaps he will make braces for the other zls as well? Does the zl900 and zl1000 have the same dimensions? Anyway, as soon as I receive the fork brace ill post the fit results and hopefully others will order from him. Seems like a decent guy, the price is good and the jury is out on the fit for now. More to follow next week......

R. J. likes this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

The 9 & 10 use the same brace. Thanks for the legwork as I'm sure a few members would like to have one.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Good deal. :notworthy:. That's about the same price as the ones that MARKUS had done up for us.

4. garysciascia

So I installed the new fork brace and it fits nice and snug fork brace fully assembled.png fork brace top view.png fork brace fork tube tight fit.png if you go to the website fastfromthepast.com ,enter part number 23-0044 which currently is for the VN750, eventually it will have a place to click on for the zl900 and zl1000. He said to give him a day or two to update the website. Came to $104 plus shipping. I paid $10.40 to NY. Good Luck !!

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I'd drop it down on the tubes so the top edge of the brace is flush with the top edge of the outer tube. Looks like a nice stout brace.

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

But they look nowhere near as nice as mine. J/S

wuputt likes this.
  7. garysciascia

The top edge of the brace has a lip that just clears the edge by the fork seal.
    The lip of the brace sits on the top of the fork tube so the brace cant be lowered
    flush with the top of the fork tube.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What is made from. Looks like some kind of plastic. Was it made for the ZL 9/10 or is it something that just happen to fit on the ZLs. It doen't look new.

9. garysciascia

It's made from aluminum. If it was plastic it last about 10 seconds. It's new. It's not made for the zl specifically. It was actually made to fit the 750 Vulcan. But since the 60mm diameter lower fork tube is the same as the zl9 and 1000 ot fit. The only difference is the distance between the forks which is 130mm with the zls and the vulcan is different so the size of the center piece that bridges between the two forks is zl specific. Fits my zl1000 like a tight glove. Try it. You'll like it. Can always return it if you dont. Biggest drawback of the zl design is front wheel wobble when you lean into a turn at speed which is why fork braces for these bike has always been a desirable model for years