1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

New owner

troncd Nov 18, 2018

1. troncd

troncd New Member

Hello all,

Just yesterday i picked up a 85 900. He bike is in really good original shape. I’ve only road it about 20 miles so far but I’m liking it a lot. It’s joining my other two bikes, a 92 VFR750 and an 08 Roadstar Warrior.

So far the only issue I’ve had is some stability issues at high speeds. I’ve seen some info on for braces but it seems they are hard to locate. Any tips?

Looking forward to learning more about the bike here!

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Brace won't help much when issues exist. Time to get to know your new bike. Check wheel bearings for play but it's probably the steering head is loose and more than likely if it's been loose for a while has some dinged up bearings. If it's never been apart that grease is toast and should be repacked, there is some maintenance interval listed in the manual for that.

Clean looking bike, welcome and enjoy the new ride!

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Fork braces do help these bikes out a lot but as stated, you might have other things going on too. Good suggestions on the wheel bearings and neck bearings and adjustment. It's been my experience that the front forks are always neglected too (have been on every zl I come across) so I would plan a fork rebuild over the off season as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a fork brace in the meantime. The best way to get to know your bike is to get on this site and use the search function to read up on your new ride. Everything that could happen with these bikes has been covered before and is in the archives. There is a treasure trove on info here at your fingertips.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  4. troncd

troncd New Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I’d like to get my hands on a brace to help out once I get some of the other issues addressed.

So to start, I’ll put the bike up on a jack and check for play in the turning. And then it sounds like a fork flush is in order. Do you guys think I should go further than that into for now?

5. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

Better check on that last statement... it is real hard to put these bikes up on a Jack... you don't want to crush the Exhaust!
    it was new to me too when I got this bike!

6. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Recently bought this scissor lift to get the bike up, only had to remove the muffler covers to avoid scratches or dents - works for me:
    s-l400(34).jpg

s-l400(33).jpg

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

It's easy for me to lift the front ends on my ZL's.....all of mine have crash bars and I use jack stands under them. That's the safest I've seen on how to safely lift one of these and I also use a sissors jack like Harriminator posted. It's a good idea to disassemble the forks completely and do a good rebuild of them since none I've found had ever been done and were NASTY inside.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Usually you can have a friend help with checking for play while it is on the ground. You can also hang it from the frame and crib it while it's hanging.

9. troncd

troncd New Member

This one does have short crash bars. I’ll have to look to see if they stick out far enough for a jackstand to reach and clear the rest of the bike.

Sounds like I still have to have the scissor style lift to get it off the ground though.

10. markus56

That's correct.

11. troncd

troncd New Member

Another question, when riding, I have to be very intentional when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It’s like I don’t quite lift high enough on the shifter with my foot so it doesn’t engage in 2nd gear and I end up in neutral. Everything about shifting deals fine and dandy, including the 1st to 2nd shift as long as I guarantee I shift high and hard enough.

I read through the owners some and saw something about an automatic neutral finder. Was wondering if this could somehow be why’s cause this need for very intentional 1st to 2nd shifts??

Thanks in advance.

12. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Maybe it's the oil, I go with motorcycle specific semi synthetic and the trans is smooth as butter or maybe you just aren't used to it yet.

I use a regular 3t floor jack with a block of wood under the fin that sticks down on the oil pan to lift it and rarely do it alone. It's very tippy without a friend stabilizing it when that wheel comes off the ground.

13. markus56

As for the shifting problems you're citing, most of the time an adjustment of the chrome rod that connects the shifter and the shaft knuckle will take care of that. The oil can also have an effect on how easy it shifts.

14. troncd

troncd New Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m beginning to think I just need to learn the nature of this bike. It shifts very smooth, I just have to pull up farther on the shifter to get it to engage 2nd.

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: When I replaced my steering stem bearings I bought OEM. Also I hung my ZL 10 from the ceiling of my garage as per the service manual.

troncd likes this.
  16. troncd

troncd New Member

Happy thanksgiving everyone! I have a new question for you guys.

When I bought the bike, the previous owner pointed out two minor leaks to be addressed.

1st, the shifter shaft seal has a slight leak. Very minor, no leaks make it to the ground, just some oil around the shaft. He had an oem seal and sent it with me. I plan to replace tomorrow.

The 2nd leak is a coolant leak. There is a coolant hose the slides over a stainless colored tube behind the radiator. There is a hose clamp there. Not sure if the leak could be resolved by tightening the clamp or not. It looks like the radiator may be in the way of accessing the clamp. Any tips here? The leak definitely appears to be coming from where the hose meets the pipe.

Even though I can clearly see this leak, I’m puzzled. When I ride the bike, I can park it and there will be no leaks under the bike for a few hours. Typically it is not until the bike has sat overnight or at least close before a leak develops on the ground. It might be that whatever leaks during and following a ride is burned off and it takes time for the leaked fluid to work it’s way down all the components before finally reaching the ground but idk. Thoughts?

Also, although it clearly appears to be a coolant hose, the liquid is very oily and even looks like oil on the ground. Any ideas why that might be? It’s too runny to be oil though, at least pure oil.

I’ve ready about the water pump failures and plan to investigate further to make sure I’m not also having an issue there.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

17. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Leak at the shift shaft will probably be the water pump needing serviced or replaced.

The coolant is probably coming from the manifold into the cylinder, they seal when warm. The o-rings on the coolant pipe get old and leak. There is coolant pipes on front and back of the motor for even more fun!

Eastwood likes this.
  18. troncd

troncd New Member

Thanks for the reply. So would your advice be to pull he pump and check for play in the shag?

paulfun likes this.
  19. troncd

troncd New Member

Shaft

20. troncd

troncd New Member

It’s funny how easy it is to forget something. I went out this morning and looked at the hose that’s leaking again and it’s size and location is different then what I recalled seeing yesterday lol. Either way, there is a definite leak at the top and probably a leak at the bottom of this short hose as pictured. Suggestions for repair? Can I source a small stretch of hose like this from a local shop?

Attached Files: