1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

NADA Guides Motorcycle Worth

DirtyRider Dec 19, 2018

1. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

I was looking at NADA the other day and I'm wondering if we can all agree that "excellent" condition means "a museum quality peice" with absolutely no "streetable" value. I would expect all original, "fresh" from the factory condition, no paint loss, no wear and tear, never been in the rain or sun and very low milage. Pretty much something that someone has collected and maintained but rarely ever used for its intended purpose but valued at $3200. What are you guys thoughts on this "excellent" designation? And lets talk the opposite too. What about a ZL would put it in the "fair" category, making it worth only $800???

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

3. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Idle speed 2.600 rpm...:whistling::nono:

4. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

I'll agree, it's clean but 25k miles and $6500??? He might get $2700 from the right buyer.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I remember a ground up restored red ZL 10 with 1200 miles sold on E-bay for 5 K a few years ago. I paid 3 K for mine that had 8 K miles on at the time.

markus56 likes this.
  6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I have agreed value on the ZL1k that I ride for $5000.00

R. J. likes this.
  7. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

This is the problem.
    One person isn’t willing to pay much and the next is.
    Try and offer me 2700 for my low mile (under 3000 mile) 86 and see how fast your run off the property.
    The problem with price is it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay in relation to what someone is willing to sell for. If you are only willing to pay 2700 and I am not willing to to sell for that then we have established its value as being higher but have not actually established its actual value yet.
    Price established due to a sale when someone needs the money badly like thier mortgage payment is overdue isn’t accurate. It’s more what you would have to pay someone who doesn’t need the money to part with it that establishes the value.

As others have said stated value insurance is the way to go for your own personal bike. Cost to repair or replace a nice bike could be a lot more than you think.

markus56, kvalheim and R. J. like this.
  8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Also private sales does not factor in the value of any bike when it comes to NADA or KBB.

9. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

I'm not sure that is true RJ. I think kbb updates pricing from database of title transfers. In pa, if you pay significantly lower than book the notary asks why and you can get the letters from the state for not paying enough tax.

10. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Have you ever wrote on the tittle what you actually paid for something. Not many people do.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: In FL they don't even ask for a receipt & they don't use NADA or KBB. Every bike I've ever bought I put on the title $100 to $300 & that is your receipt. When I titled my 2 Honda 70s which neither had a title I put $100 on the receipt in order to get the titles. A few times I told the Title Office that I done an even trade for a gun. :laughing7:.

12. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Pa wants the 7% sales tax and questions transactions lower than typical values. The notary asked me when I bought my last used truck and when I sold my last car.

But back to the topic at hand...when I was reading on the kbb site all values are for operable machines so fair condition would be able to hear run but need attention like maybe tires, brakes, fork seals, battery and not the prettiest thing out there.

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: PA the land of taxes. :laughing7:. State tax. We have none in FL. County tax. We have none in Deltona. We do have property tax. Our home is valued at 285 K. Our tax assed value is 83 K. We have a homestead tax exemption detuction of 75 K. We pay taxes on 8K. Our property taxes are $600 a year. When I worked in PA I remember having to pay Township taxes & Right to Work taxes. I buy 10 tags a year which costs me about $210. Yesterday I paid $1.97 a gal. for gas.

14. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

I wish our taxes were that low. my old house was 345k and 5600 in taxes. My current house is 156k and 23oo in taxes. Gas is around 2.30 a gallon.

15. paulfun

Yes RJ they get us coming and going with taxes here. I would have left this state long ago if the other half wasn’t so unwilling to move away from her family.
    What baffles me the most is how the majority of the people keep putting the same old type politician in office and they think everything is fine.

kvalheim likes this.
  16. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Chalk it up to phili and the redistricting around Allegheny county. Gerrymandering....and they are looking to make us more like the northeast.

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: My Nephew Paul lives in Cherry Tree PA in Indiana County. He owns 45 acres. He pays $9500 a year in taxes. If he would put it in the clean in green category he would pay about a third of that. What the hell is clean in green anyway.

18. paulfun

Best to read up on it at agricuture.pa.gov

If no plans to develope the property are in the immediate future he could save a lot depending on the soil type.

Problem arises if you later decide to do something before the savings can defeat the cost of penalties.

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Also you have to open up your property to the public for hunting & such so I've been told.

20. paulfun

You don’t have to allow hunting or things like that, but you do have to allow the public access to the property.
    You can post rules, such as No Hunting or No ATV’s or put limits on the time frames such as no Hikeing after dark or no camping.

Like I said it’s best reading up on it at the state web site but my memory from what my layer told me when we looked into it is that it wasn’t something I would want to do.