1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

My new 86' ZL 600!

Theodore Dekeyser Jul 19, 2019

1. My seat showed up today, it's really nice Imo especially for 40$, you can find this guy on eBay (mac32756) he has many templates available and if not he like he did in my case, I sent him my old seat cover, he kept it for future orders, and made mine for free! YES FREE!

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  2. You guys I need some help seriously, I got a factory fuel petcock and rebuilt it but the carbs still aren't correct. I also replaced the pilot jet spring washer and rubber washer, I seated them all the way then backed out 2 full rotations and still it won't run without the choke on, and even then it has very poor performance and is difficult to start and won't idle on its own? What else can it be?

3. This is killing me! I've put so much Into this bike and I just wanna ride the damn thing!! Besides the pilot jet what else can be adjusted?

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Search for and contact member, (Cotton top). He is also in vegas and may be able to drop by and have a look see.

R. J. likes this.
  5. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Active Member

Split Carb boots, torn carb diaphragms, leaking vacuum sounds like. One of those or a combination. Get some silicone spray or starting fluid and hit all around the boots from carb to engine, all vacuum lines while it's idling and if rpm changes, you've found your leak.

madmanncr500 likes this.
  6. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

How long has it been sitting?

7. Good tip, I'll make sure and contact him.

Ge

8. I don't know exactly but I can safely say at least 10 years, tire manufacture date is 2004 so...

9. I've been trying to eliminate those potential problems, only the idle is so spradic and will only idle with the choke on, to idle with choke off I have to rev rev it up up! Or it will die real quick. So with that said is pretty difficult to tell if starting fluid sprayed on the boots has any effect, I've tried it probably 20x, gone thru 5 cans of starting fluid to get it started and test for leaks and I have noticed little to no difference given the circumstances.

10. I might just break down and order a set of used carbs online for less than 150$, I hate to let it get the best of me but I dont really know what else to do at this point beyond reaching out to another Las Vegas member??

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    Don't you mean fuel air mixture enriching screws which are on the outside bottom center of each carb. The pilot jets or slow jets are the small jet inside the carbs. Did you clean them out. If you buy used carbs they may not be any better than what you have. Call Rick West who rebuild carbs for Members. Go here for details. https://www.zl-oa.com/community/threads/carb-cleaning-service-ultrasonic-cleaning.7206/

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    Once you get the bike running right you may want to buy new tires. 15 year old tires are not safe to ride on.

13. Jason Graham

Jason Graham Member

Just wondering how the crusade for title is going. Have you made any progress on that front?

14. Well i finally looked Into the last legal option in Nevada, which is a bonded title and it turns out I don't have to pay the bond amount which is 1.5x the original MSRP. I couldn't find any info stating otherwise so I assume I had to pay that amount which seems ridiculous. As it turns out I can get abond for as little as 100$ but first I have to apply which involves a VIN check so that requires trailering it to the DMV since I can't legally ride it. Then sending my paperwork to Carson City where they will run a number of checks, as well as come up with a bond amount. Then I have to purchase the bond and send it back to Carson City for approval at which time ill be able to go register it normally. What a pain in the butt. But at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel!!

16. Yes that's what I mean, I thought the manual calls it a pilot jet? Anyways I will check out that link and hopefully that guy can help me out, that way I know I'm getting something that'll work

17. I j
    I checked out that guy and he does amazing work, I'm gonna msg him and see about having him rebuild mine! Cause your right, I could spend 150 and get another set of jacked up carbs!

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Rick does really good work. I sent him 6 sets of carbs all at the same time for my ZL 10, GPZ 10, EL 250, CB 650, DR 200 and YFM 350.

19. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Hey Theodore this is Cotton Top. Take a look at my ZL600 and contact me for any info if you like. I posted pictures on the media here.

20. Raf900

Raf900 Member

Sending them off for cleaning is good advice. Air mixture screw won't do much for you if your pilot jets are dirty or clogged.