1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

My new 86' ZL 600!

Theodore Dekeyser Jul 19, 2019

1. Theodore Dekeyser

Theodore Dekeyser New Member

Hey everyone I'm a newb here and I just picked up my first ZL 600! Until I saw the add on OfferUp I wasn't even aware of the ZL's existence. After briefly scanning the add I went to Google "Kawasaki ZL 600 1986" and immediately I see that it's a cruiser with the ZX600 Ninja engine from that year! Sweet it sounds like a perfect project bike that I've been looking for. Priced at 600$ and been listed for 2 months I was able to get it for 400$ although it doesn't currently start, missing the title and doesn't even have a key for the ignition. I ran the VIN and it's clear...no theft, no lein, no accidents. So that's good. I trailered it home and here are some picks... It's a bit more work than I wanted but all in all is a good foundation. Minimal to no rust, no dents. But how long has it sat? Tires where produced in 1995 and no license plates so where looking at 20 years or longer maybe. It's got 14k on the odometer.

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Ever go through the title process on something like that?

Probably should have had the original owner apply for a lost title and it would have saved you some time and $.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Welcome to ZL-oa. Nice find. $400 was about right for a bike that don't run. We are here to help. You will find everything that you need to know on repairing and maintaining your ZL 6 has be covered here on ZL-oa. It is best to do a google search with ZL-oa at the end when looking for what you need.

4. Theodore Dekeyser

No I haven't but I just got the ball rolling and you are correct sir. The State of Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles is a bureaucratic cluster f***. It's designed to make things slow, difficult and very spendy. For example how to I get the bike to the DMV for VIN inspection which is required to apply for lost title when I can't register it even temporarily? Guarantee they'll tow it before any inspection occurs. So the solution is first off I have to apply with a notarized document sent to the DMV records department in Carson City and a money order to get a print out of the legal owner. Then bribe him or her to come to the DMV with me and apply for duplicate title. If that's not possible the other option is apply for abonded title which seems complicated and extremely expensive. 1.5 x the original MSRP!! That's the price of the bond. Who in the world has that kinda money to drop on a 400$ bike for 3 years? That's par for the course at the Nevada DMV.

5. Theodore Dekeyser

Thank you sir. I'm so glad I found this forum Lord knows I'll be needing it!

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I feel that states that charge high fees to get a title is just their way off forcing people to junk old bikes. Get the person that you bought the bike from to wright up a new bill of sale for $50 or say that you traded it for a gun or something. I do it here in FL all the time.

7. Theodore Dekeyser

I received my gloss black vinyl wrap film by 3M today. I'm gonna wrap the tank, fenders, side covers and headlight bucket with this stuff. Basically every painted/faded or not part of the bike will get wrapped. It's like getting a top of the line pro paint job for 50$ of vinyl. It can be challenging to install but I've done 2 entire cars so far and I'm getting better and better. It a matter of taking your time, when I start to rush to the finish is when quality starts to suffer. But damn it's gonna set this bike off something fierce! Dramatic change in looks I'm imagining!!

Attached Files:

8. Theodore Dekeyser

That is exactly the route I'm trying first. The person I bought it from is selling his dad's dozens of bikes that they recovered from his repair/ dealership store when he died. So we don't know who's on the title. I waited in line for 3.5 hrs at the DMV just to be told YES there is in fact a title for the bike but even though he has it on his screen he can't tell me anything about it rather I have to pay a fee and sign and get notarized an application to be sent to the records department and then wait for a reply, then with any luck get this person to sign it over?!

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I've watched guys wrap ATV body parts with vinyl in different camo patterns but never a bike. That stuff must be thin in order to get it around corners.

10. Ed

Ed Active Member

You can't beat a factory fisnish.

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: If you find a very good painter and with todays paints he can shoot a much better paint job than any Factory especially the pre urethane paints. The NOS OEM black tank that I bought off E-bay for $175 shipped for my 1988 250 B2 Eliminator can't even compare to the fenders and side covers that I had my painter John shoot which is for the same bike. IMG_7698.JPG

12. Theodore Dekeyser

The good quality 3M 1080 series wrap film is fairly thick but the most important part is that you can wrinkle it up to the point it's a ball, take your heatgun and unwrap it then heal the wrinkles and you'll never know the difference! It's really amazing... Extremely forgiving for a beginner

13. Theodore Dekeyser

I hear that but.... My factory finish is way far gone. Vinyl allows me to in very little time and 50$ in material have a near factory looking paint job looking finish. I'd much rather have paint that I can wax and polish but vinyl is the future my friends.

Think about it... I can change the color of the bike entirely to any crazy color or multicolored as often as I want for 50$!!
    I'm gonna change colors every winter for the upcoming riding season.

I busted this out last night, look at the difference, I think unless your a foot away you can tell the difference or that it's not paint?!

Attached Files:

14. Theodore Dekeyser

That a gorgeous tank man, what'd that run you? If anypart I'd want painted instead it's be the tank. Anybody know if a 96 zl600 tank will fit on an 86 zl600 there's a really nice custom tank on eBay right now

Attached Files:

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The NOS tank for the 88 EL 250 was $175 shipped and to have my ZL 10s tank painted was $200.

16. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Member

I got a "no title" zl9 last November. Cheep!! Ended up getting a titled frame from California FedEx to my house. In NC it's like pulling chicken teeth getting even an abandoned vehicle titled. Would have cost me more then I was willing to shell out. If I didn't find that Cali frame I was going to do a Vermont title. Check that out it you want. I have done it on 500cc or less bikes.

17. Theodore Dekeyser

Both good ideas, I was just trying to wrap my mind around the process involved. The titled frame would be easiest although Vermont would be more legitimate hmmm. Thanks for the input.

18. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Member

There is/was a motorcycle recycling place in your town too. Seems as the used to have a lot of zl stuff. Frames being some of what they sold. Can't remember the name but a lot of what I have got zl9 related came from Vegas. I will look back into my old contacts and transactions to see if I can find a name or location.

19. Theodore Dekeyser

That would be great, otherwise I'm gonna be staring at a shiny restored zl6 that I can't ride! Possibly for weeks or months. Vegas Metro got my 305 LTD Kawasaki and there not gonna get their dirty little rights violating hooves on my ZL!

20. Theodore Dekeyser

Some Info on block off plates... I was reading a thread here about block off plates for the air valve and various rubber caps being used and I happened by these at O'Reilly's...perfect fit and when clamped it's on there no leaks! It's just called a Bypass cap assortment

Attached Files: