1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

My dinosaur XS750 revival thread

87kawzl Jan 11, 2020

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Born July 1976 14,300 miles ago, my older brother bought it in the 80's, rode it for a year or two (fixed second gear along the way) then it sat in a shed for many years and traded hands to another brother where it sat for another 10. He then paid a guy to get it running, seal the tank, go through the carbs and brakes and mount some Dunlop rubber. Well the master mechanic didn't do such a great job getting it running and it never made it back to the street. Last sticker was 88'.

Older brother won the burnout competition on it against me on my CX650C and the other brother on his 82 CB750SC. He gave me a ride and almost killed us on it when he planted the center stand and sidestepped the rear tire 1 1/2' doing about 60.

Here she is in all her glory, even came with a few spare parts that I bought for my brother. I'll get it running come hell or high water, this one has some family history.
    IMG_20200111_112043.jpg IMG_20200111_112055.jpg IMG_20200111_115257.jpg

JohnH#II and R. J. like this.
  2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Is that a 750 tripple.

3. 87kawzl

Yes sir. Apparently a "c" model. From Wikipedia:

Very few of these bikes seem to have been made and even fewer survived. The cast wheels were in an unpainted finish and the decals were in a distinctive stripe design on the tank and side panels. This bike had a 3-1 exhaust system, and Mikuni “Mark I” carburetors. The air box assembly was different from later years. The air filter could be changed by opening the seat. This model had triple contact breaker points making timing adjustment complex. Also featured was a separate regulator and rectifier. The seat has a short tail piece this year.

I guess it's destined to be an antique instead of a chopped up cafe....I sometimes hate the internet.

4. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

The bike shop a couple of streets away and two mechanics. One had a CBX and the other an XS750. Just before 6 each night they would both scream down my road. The CBX sounded good but the XS had a french made 'Devil' 3=1. It was, and still is, the best sounding bike I've ever heard. Sort of a low flying spitfire sound....fantastic.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I see potential

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. 87kawzl

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: @ $4g!

Mine is all there and it all has the correct patina meaning the chrome has all aged the same with very little rust but has the fine pitting. All original except bars and grips and I don't know if I want to spring the $50 for the stock bars available on eBay. I'll probably throw on some $20 repop mirrors and a $24 seat cover.

It will get some love, a good scrubbing, some chrome polish and then put back in service after 38 years of storage.

IMG_20200111_163007.jpg IMG_20200111_163936.jpg
    Just a quick wipe, perfectly acceptable to me:D

R. J. likes this.
  8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have a friend that has a 70s XS 650 that he bought new with only 1200 miles on it. It has very little rust and is complete. He asked his Brother to fix it for him. His Brother told him that it would cost 4 to 5 K. :laughing7:. He told him to just junk it. Some Brother A.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Sheeesh...what an ass of a brother lol

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Ya, he is. His Brother did get it running. Carbs leaked and it has a leaky head gasket. The rims and spokes have no rust at all. Exhaust has no rust what so ever. Paint is near perfect. Seat has no tares. The only other 2 things wrong with it is the fuel tank has rust in it and the side cases have some corrosion. This is the color and style of Glenns XS 650. I think it is a 1976. ___________________________ 1975-xs650.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  11. 87kawzl

Lots of them got hacked up with the chopper fad back in the day and now the cafe racer fad.

12. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Heard a Triumph Trident BSA Rocket Three from the late 60s to mic 70s?

13. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I was once talking to an old boy a friend of my Father's about engine synchronicity and noise, he had been riding with two others on two strokes n' told me all three engines had chimed in together n' run almost like they were one entity, quite a strange effect, I think the bikes were all the same make, MZ's! I was once travelling down the Motorway and two V"" Max's were coming along the two riders were crusing about 80 mph and their engines were synchronising and the sounded like a giant WW !! Bomber death machine the combination of the synchronised engine noise was exhilerating! Maybe there isa nother word for it, but it is a special effect. A bit like running your two-stroke when the is cold!

14. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Nothing better than running side by side and hearing the music when they harmonize! Brother Mark and I would look at each other and grin..... those were the days!

markus56 likes this.
  15. 87kawzl

There is almost nothing as fowl as old gasoline! Nasty stuff!

Rick's going to have another rack of three early mikuni carbs coming his way.