1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

MY 2002 NISSAN HAS GREMLINS

R. J. Apr 6, 2020

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:I've had my truck to 3 shops. It keeps blowing the 10 amp injector fuse. The code comes up as the #1 injector. The first shop that I had it to was in OH. The second one in PA. Last week I had it to a shop here in FL. $300 for nothing!!! They all did pretty much nothing!!! They all moved some wires around until it quit blowing the fuse. Then told me good luck. Mother FN ass holes. So at 5 AM this morning I tore into my engines mini wiring harness for the injectors. I had to remove the intake plenum to get to all the connectors. I removed all the insulated material from the harness and checked for bear wires. I found one wire with cracked insulation. Also #5 injector sprays fuel all the time. I'm trying to figure out what is under the 2 wires that is wrapped in white tape in pic # 10. Fusible links may be? and what appears to be a shielded coax type wire in pic #11. Which appears to be pulled out of it's connector. Also the intake gasket on the passanger side was leaking. The last pic I accidently cut threw the wires. :laughing7:. I'm going to ohm out each and every wire to check for high resistance. I bought a HAYNES Service Manual this morning. I have yet to read through it. I ordered all new 6 fuel injectors from NAPA. $400. They will be here this Afternoon. I also bought all new OEM plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, rotor cap and 2 knock sensors. From NAPA I bought all 4 DENSO O2 sensors and intake gaskets. The codes for the left and right knock sensors and all 4 O2 sensors keep floating in and out. None of them has ever been replaced. If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Man my back is in a up roar over all this and so is my mind. :pain10:. Yesterday I went to my local NISSAN Dealer to get the wiring harness drawing for the fuel injector system. They told me that they don't have one. Mother FN ass holes. I went off on them. I called them mother FN SOBs. :laughing7:. I said I just spent $500 in this mother FN place and you won't help me out. Go F yourselfs. They was going to call the cops on me!!! As I walked out the door I told the Service Manager the best part of him ran down the crack of is Mothers ass hole and you are nothing but a **** stain on lifes underwear. :laughing7:. Man did that make me feel better. :laughing7:. Also the mini harness is discontinued. :pain10:. __________________________________________________________________________________ IMG_8779.JPG IMG_8783.JPG IMG_8802.JPG IMG_8807.JPG IMG_8782.JPG IMG_8803.JPG IMG_8780.JPG IMG_8781.JPG IMG_8811.JPG IMG_8806.JPG IMG_8808.JPG IMG_8809.JPG IMG_8810.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I think the wrapped wires are fusible links. I also think you are on the correct path with checking continuity on the harness. Grounds should be checked as well.

As far as other help:
    1.) You know already....I've seen some Tacoma's in the stable...lol.
    2.) Biofreeze for the backaches

Good luck

R. J. likes this.
  3. 87kawzl

A quick Google on Nissan blows injector fuse:

Most if not all fuel injectors in gasoline powered automotive applications have one side of the injectors tied to a constant 12 volt supply when the ignition is turned on, and the ECU momentarily grounds the other side when a fuel pulse is needed, so if the fuse blows each time key is turned on, you have a hard short to ground either in the harness or a fuel injector itself.

It should be pretty easy to find with an ohm meter - just check the resistance between the harness and ground, or between injector and ground. That the harness will disconnect should make it easy to isolate components to find your short. I don't know about the 97s but the earlier series (90 - 94?), the injector coils are "high impedance" - about 12 ohms pin to pin. You should read infinite resistance to ground (no conductance) when disconnected from harness.

So, you may have actually have an injector that's shorting out. If it does the same when you get it back together unplug one injector at a time to see if you find the gremlin... Reread and the 6 new injectors may fix your issues.

R. J. likes this.
  4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thanks for looking that up for me. I did read something similar to that on a NISSN Forum. I had a 1981 first gen Toyota 4x4. 300 K miles with zero problems, a 1987 SR 5 250 K miles. One new clutch. Our 1997 Tacoma 230 K mile. One new clutch and a radiator. Still have it. I know that I should of bought a 4 th. Toyota. I'm going to sell of one of my properties here in Deltona and buy me a brand new Tacoma TRD PRO at the end of this year.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: While this afternoon after picking up my parts from NAPA I went to the NISSAN Dealer and I apologized to the Service Manager for going off on him. He said it was no big deal and he could see from my point of view me being so upset.

6. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

There is no way I would have apologized for wasting 300 with no conclusion!

They couldn’t fix it, they shouldn’t have charged you!

madmanncr500 likes this.
  7. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Your not the only one with bad luck R.J. I blew my front differential out of my truck yesterday in my yard. I did find a good used low mileage one for 100 bucks. That's really cheap.guy was parting one out and found it fairly close to me online. The seller is checking to make sure it's the same gear ratio this morning. Mine is the most common for the silverado with 3.73 ratio.

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The NISSAN Dealer never worked on my truck. It was Wills Automotive in Orange City FL. I also stop their yesterday to tell them that my truck was still blowing the 10 amp fuse for the fuel injector and that I'm fixing it myself. They only charged me a $90 dagnostic fee. The place in OH charged me $110 and the place in PA charged me $100. Biofreeze won't help my sciatic nerve pain shooting down both my legs. Last yerar I had 6 epidural injections in the back. They helped for 3 months or so. I was to have surgery on my back this month but it got canceled because of this various thing that is going on.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Senior Member

:banghead::help: IT WILL NEVER RUN RIGHT AGAIN.....:occasion14:

R. J. likes this.
  10. 87kawzl

:popcorn:

11. madmanncr500

Follow the wires all the way back to the ECU. check make sure no rodents have chewed them up....go luck hate chasing wires!!

R. J. likes this.
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have 2 young guns to help me if need be. One worked for the NISSAN Dealer for about 5 years and the other one worked for the Toyota Dealer. Today I went through the mini injector wiring harness loom. I wraped all the wires with 3M electrical tape. I also numbered and color coded all six fuel injector plugs with different colors of electricl tape. Each color corresponds with the color of each wire inside the loom. I installed the 6 new NAPA Echlin injectors ($74 each) which are made in JAPAN into the injector housing unit. The next thing I'm going to do is clean up the intake plenum and the motor. IMG_8817.JPG IMG_8818.JPG IMG_8819.JPG IMG_8816.JPG IMG_8820.JPG IMG_8821.JPG IMG_8823.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: MADMAN: I was planing on doing just that.

madmanncr500 likes this.
  14. madmanncr500

Sorry after being a master ASE thec for over 30 years hard to break the old habbits….

R. J. likes this.
  15. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

I suspect you are on the right track, humor me here.......what If the transistor in the ecu is shorted?

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I figured I'd do the cheapest thing first which is going through the wiring harness then the fuel injection stuff and work my way back to the ECU. From what I've read most likely fuel injector #1 was blowing the fuse because that is the code I was getting. I've been using a friends high dollar MAC Tools code reader. I just hope nothing is wrong with the ECU. The truck hasn't been tuned up in 60 K miles so I'm doing that to.

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: While I finished up the injector mini wiring harness loom today. The wire going to the knock sensor is a shielded wire. It was cracked in 3 places and the shield was unraveled so I cut out 6 inches of the bad wire and soldered in new wire. I used the shield from a section of a cable TV coax cable. Then I put heat shrink over the shield. The code for the knock sensor would float in and out. So I figured it is effected by noise so that is why I repaired it as it was originally. Since the knock sensor is all the way under the intake plenum I'm replacing it with a new OEM one. I also wraped all the harness in all new harness loom conduit as it was from the factory. Time spent refabing the loom was 8 hours or so. IMG_8839.JPG IMG_8829.JPG IMG_8833.JPG IMG_8834.JPG IMG_8835.JPG IMG_8836.JPG IMG_8837.JPG IMG_8838.JPG IMG_8840.JPG

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  18. ZipRoar

ZipRoar Active Member

Run an overlay for power circuit and see what happens.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: How do I run an overlay and what do I need to do one.

20. ZipRoar

ZipRoar Active Member

Overlay is a fancy way of saying run a new wire. If fuse stops popping, it's the harness or a connector. If not, it's an injector.

R. J. likes this.